Thread: Outboard Valuation

Default Outboard Valuation

I'm going to look at a late 80's Evinrude 115 with Pwr t&t. Supposedly has zip hrs on it and starts right up. I'm concerned about parts availability for something that old and generally how to value something like this. It's part of a boat, motor and trailer package. Owner values it at $1500. I know this is vague without a serial/model # or even specific year. I'll get that info and report back, but in the mean time...any thoughts

That old? I managed to get most of the parts I needed to rebuild a 3hp Johnson from 1953 through Boats.net and Crowley Marine. There are lots of JohnnyRude OEM parts through on-line resources, even for something from the 1980's.

NADA guides has online values. A 1981 Evinrude E115TLCI outboard has a list price of $4,065 (when new) and and average retail of $135 with a low retail of $120. However, if it runs well and has no issues it could be worth the $1500 if you agree to that.

Thanks, AK Ray, for the heads up on the nada guides! Turned out to be a '80 Johnson..high book...$105. I was primarily interested for the hull portion of the deal...been looking for quite a while. Got the whole pkg. for $1500. Definitely a project boat.

Just saw your post so I'm late here. I check NADA guides, but they are always way low on older, residual value outboards.

For example, I had a 1984 15hp short shaft johnson that had been overheated and had a blown head gasket or worse (non-running motor). I sold it last week for $200 to a guy who didn't even try to talk me down. NADA lists average retail at $35.
    I looked at several similar motors in good running order and they were selling in a day or two on craigslist for $500.

From what I've seen, a running motor in average condition is worth at least $500 in Alaska.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

yep, did seem awfully low compared to local prices...thanks, Milo!

It's tough to figure values on the older o/b's, especially up here.

Regarding the 15hp short shaft 2 strokes, they go for a premium, because there aren't any modern equivalents. The two strokes are 80-85#'s, the 4 strokes are 100-120#'s and leak oil if you put them on the their side. Hence the small 2 strokes are ideal for carrying in a small plane, the 4 strokes not so much.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hmmm. And I have a 2-stroke short shaft Yamaha 15 that was brand new about 8 years ago and has been stored since. Never started. I wonder what it's worth? I haven't needed it because my mid-80s 15 Yami has never missed a beat. Bought it in the late 80's for $400 at a garage sale, nearly new. Starts on the first pull every time except after winter storage. In that case it sometimes needs 2 pulls. :-) Some old motors just keep going strong. Hey, maybe it's time for a lower unit oil change and some new plugs? I don't think I've ever done either!

I'll buy it from you for $180.00! Naw just mesing with ya Mr. Pid, but if your interested in selling the 8 year old 15 let me know! Or even the mid eighties yami.