Thread: South shore of Kenai: Parking for truck/trailer?

Default South shore of Kenai: Parking for truck/trailer?

We want to take our 4-wheelers down to dipnet on the south side of the Kenai. I know the parking gets a bit tight at the beach access. Is there any other parking nearby where we can leave our pickup and trailer if the parking area is pretty full? Thanks for any info.

The Kenai Landing is close by. Check out their info at:

http://www.kenailanding.com/news/usatoday9-20-04.html

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    The Kenai Landing is close by. Check out their info at:

http://www.kenailanding.com/news/usatoday9-20-04.html

~tr
    Is it an OK ATV ride from there to the beach?

That I don't know. You'd probably have to ask them directly. Maybe there's a trail to the ocean side. Just dunno.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    That I don't know. You'd probably have to ask them directly. Maybe there's a trail to the ocean side. Just dunno.
    ~tr
    Thanks, I will. Since I run a rig that is non-sand-able (truck with heavy camper) I depend on the availability of one of a very few limited spots available (I recommend this to no one). I'd rather just make a reservation and know I've got a spot that is ATV-able to the beach. I will contact them as you recommend. I don't want to stay at a place where I and my family are breaking the law getting to/from. And a reservation is far better than my present method of "hope my spot is empty".

Thanks again gr8fl.

FM, I have the exact same questions. Please post what you discover. If the beach is 4 wheeler accessible from there, I wonder how you pay the usage fee?

gr8fl, looks like a nice place to stay. Thanks for the link.

Default Another Option

Someone could try this to avoid paying the beach access fee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjNq_hm-63I

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXyA23P29vw&NR=1

Maybe this would be better. But why...?

~tr

Perfect, just dip net from that set up. Remember, must be 4 stroke engine in the wheeler on the Kenai.

Default kenailanding.com

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    FM, I have the exact same questions. Please post what you discover. If the beach is 4 wheeler accessible from there, I wonder how you pay the usage fee?

gr8fl, looks like a nice place to stay. Thanks for the link.
    TR, I checked into these guys. Here is what I've found out:

- They're new since last year, so this is their first year going through a dipnet season.
    - They ARE dipnetter-friendly
    - They cannot comment on the legality of riding a 4 wheeler from their place to the beach, since that involves going along about 1/4 mile of road. They do say that 4 wheelers are welcome ON their property, and that people do ride on and off their property commonly.
    - They even have some motel-ish type of rooms for not too much money.
    - And they even said they'd find a spot for me to park my 16 foot flatbed trailer for a few days.

So I've made my reservations to stay in their RV park for my Kenai dipnetting.

So far as how you would pay for your beach access, I suspect that would happen when you drive past the payshack on your 4 wheeler.

They sound like really nice people running that place.

Thanks gr8fl for suggesting these guys. (+1)

Excellent intel. Dipnetter friendly is good. I think my next run down there will be solo but if I drag the tribe will definitely give them a try. Are the full up already? Was is it difficult to make a reservation?

Thumbs up Easy reservations and space-available check - Do it Online!

Excellent intel. Dipnetter friendly is good. I think my next run down there will be solo but if I drag the tribe will definitely give them a try. Are the full up already? Was is it difficult to make a reservation?
    Easy peasy. Go to their web site kenailanding.com, click on reservations, click on the calendar shown for your arrival date and last night's stay, and it'll come and tell what is available:
    - tent site(s)
    - RV site(s)
    - RV plus electric site(s)
    - specifically outfitted rooms available (cheaper ones use communal toidy and high end rooms have private toidy)

Try it now just for fun; it doesn't ask for a credit card number or email address or anything until the very final screen.

I've got my reservation in the RV with electric section. I won't know how to act; I'm used to always camping less formally than that.

Nice, now the tribe is interested in going back.

Full hook up FM? Goin' all out. Wedding aniversary?

Default livin' large

Nice, now the tribe is interested in going back.

Full hook up FM? Goin' all out. Wedding aniversary?
    Now that IS funny.

Both my anniversary and bday are towards the end of the dipnet season, but I have to be done with the fish and smoking them before then, or I'll find out firsthand what the INSIDE of my smoker looks like, if you catch my drift.

But yeah, it is very unusual for me to camp in a real campground, and so since I made that big step, I thought why not go with electricity too and just splurge? I'll enjoy not having to get after the kids for leaving camper lights on and such.

Copy that. I'm forever turning lights off in my trailer.