Thread: Want to go dipnetting for the first time :)

Talking Want to go dipnetting for the first time :)

So I have lived here for 3 years. I have fished the Russian; I have fished both Upper and Lower Kenai; I have fished Ship Creek, Prince William Sound and many other places. I HAVE NOT however dip-netted for Salmon. I am planning a trip the 15-17 of July.

Here are my questions:

Where do we go to dipnet (I know hard to plan a trip when you know NADA)?

Where is available to camp?

What supplies should I have besides my waders, net, and my normal camping/fishing stuff?

Is there any other advise I can be offered?

I am of course perusing through this thread and hope to get more info that way but any help I can get would be AWSOME!!! Thank you!

Default Seeing is Believing

If a picture is worth a thousand words, seeing it done has gotta be worth a million. If you're up for a drive today, the Kasilof dipnet fishery is 4 hours from Anchorage. Jump in your rig and blast on down there for a first-hand look and you'll catch on pronto deluxe.

I'd visit the North shore first, and if that doesn't tell you everything you want to know, cruise around to the South shore. If you bring your license, dipnet card, waders, a stringer, a cooler of ice, your pole and net, jump in and give it a go.

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-26-2011 at 09:02. Reason: tweaking

Hmmmmm ok. Where do I get a dipnet card? didn't realize I had to get something other than my license.

Again- this is a first time thing and I know NADA.

We have a pop up camper rented for that weekend, I have a net, but beyond that I am lost. LOL

Get your Upper Cook Inlet Dipnet card at Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game, Raspberry Road and C St.; Fred Meyer stores, B&J. You will be able to catch 25 for head of household and 10 for each additional family member. You can not keep a King salmon dipped from the Kasilof, but you can from the Kenai.

Go to http://aksalmondipnetting.com/Dipnet...nks/index.html for more info.

~tr

Agree 100% with what gr8fl mentioned before, pack up the camper and head down. The people are friendly for the most part and will help you out at the river.

Some warm neoprene waders are best if standing in the river, as it tends to get cold.
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

FishinGal, do you have a 4 wheel drive or 4 wheeler that can carry you gear? The south beaches are only accessible by driving and parking on beach sand.

Well, you could hump it, but its a long walk with gear and hopefully fish on the way back.

The truck is 4 wheel drive. Been a while since we've used teh 4wheel drive for anything other than the snow. LOL

Email sent FishinGal. You are welcome to join my family and me on Southside of Kasilof the weekend of 15-17 July. You can borrow nets if you need to. I have "a couple" of them. :-)

AK Chappy

Just go. Like REMF says, others will help. You'll learn.
    1. Be sure you read the regs. ADFG has always been polite in my experience, but never very funny.
    2. Figure out your gloves and your fish care. I like Glacier Gloves or anything neoprene. You'll get wet no matter what. Some skip gloves, but not me. Twenty or 30 reds is a lot of fish; not sure, maybe 8-10 fish plus ice per cooler? See what others think.
    3. A good thread with many excellent contributors for general info: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lesson-learned
    4. We bleed and gut fish right away. We put fish on ice right after. We do a couple other things, but our fish taste good the following Spring.
    5. Personal note: stay off the dunes and keep the beach tidy. We've seen more user-resident conflicts especially over the dunes in 8 years.

Good luck.

Default PU fish concealed in a cooler

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    4. We bleed and gut fish right away. We put fish on ice right after.
    I agree with what you say in regards to care of meat. But it doesn't work with the law. You won't have enough space on your dipnet report card to stay legal.

I pull a kids sled around behind my ATV. I bleed'm and fill it with fish while the catchin's good. When it slows, I gut/gill'm & record them on my card, as I also clip fins and put in a cooler. But like 6X says, don't wait too long to get'm on ice or they'll not last a year for you; and that's the point of it all, isn't it?