Thread: Replacing hull bolts

Default Replacing hull bolts

Ok, I am replacing the bolts on the bottom of my boat.
    How tight do I tighten the bolts that I replace on the hull that holds the bottom plastic on?
    I am doing it by hand without a air compressor.
    Thanks.

I donít know the answer if your asking about inch# of torque, what I did when I put on my bottom is I used self tapping ss screws not bolts and I made them as tight as possible with out hurting the uhmw or stripping the screws. One thing I would do is check all the screws at the end of the season and make sure there all tight. If you have a very thin aluminum and uhmw I would add nuts if possible. You might add a sealer to help prevent them from coming loose and leaking.

If you are using hurricane bolts with nylock nuts just go until the wrench stops and then snug it down. UHMW is not compressible at all and if you go too tight and reef it on down you will damage it. I would estimate the torque at about 15-20 in lbs.

Why are you replacing them. Are you taking out screws and repacing with ss bolts and nuts, or are you replacing rivits that others used in the past and are loose or did your old screws rust out on you. I think once you snap a couple of them you will know how tight to get them. Do you have help on the other side? Bud

stainless steel counter sink screws with nylon lock nuts. one person under boat with drill. tighten bolt till snug. another person in boat with socket on the nut tighten till snug. other items needed. 8 hours of time for two peaple , at least a 12 pack of beer or drink of choise, 2000 gph automatic bildge pump, this last item is a must and will stop all leaks or make them more tolerable.

When they built my boat they put sealant on the bottom before the poly then used Elevator Bolts http://www.amazon.com/16-18-Elevator.../dp/B0012YHLKK
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I know some will slide the boat off of trailer, use hoist and lift boat onto its side and work on boat bottom while supported on side. Should drain both oil and gas prior to this of course, but it beats the heck out of sliding around on your back reaching up doing overhead work. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Just read affiliate marketing book! Now I want a procera avh and african mango now I know some will slide the boat off of trailer, use hoist and lift boat onto its side and work on boat bottom while supported on side. Should drain both oil and gas prior to this of course, but it beats the heck out of sliding around on your back reaching up doing overhead work. Bud
    that is very well said...let me do that

If you just have to do it alone- it may help to put a hydralic jack under the bolt head to hold it while you climb back in to tighten the nut. That is what I had to do when installing new rivets. Oh, and watch the drill size, keep the hole as close to a tight fit as you can. The plastic usually seals pretty good, except when you screw up up drill too big. Now, I have to make sure my pump works before taking it off the trailer! Planned on replacing those with BIGGER rivets this summer, but it's July already and I got that August moose tag............

Chris

I personally would call Skip Olsen in Fairbanks and talk with him. He is pretty experienced at it.
    Advice from a River: Slow Down and Meander, Go with the Flow, Stay Current, Beauty is in the Journey...