Thread: Kasilof Info Revisited

Default Kasilof Info Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    This is a repost of one I made last year:

Please study the enclosed picture of the mouth of the Kasilof.

The salmon come in with the incoming tide. They follow the river channel until the mouth is flooded and can be caught off of both shores as well as all across the middle with important distinctions.

Initially, folks with start picking them up way out the south shore at the beginning of the channel. They tend to then follow the northern edge of the channel as they move up towards the point, although significant numbers still allow for good catches on the south shore.

As the tide continues to flood, the bulk of the fish are swept past the mouth, and they turn and swim south along the beach towards the point. This is when you will see folks catching fish north of the point along the beach, and kids catching fish behind the adults standing up to their chests up at the point.

The south shore offers much more camping room, and a nicer, gravelly bottom to stand on. People are able to back up their rigs and launch boats off the south beach. You can do just fine on the south beach, but the bulk of the fish follow the northern river channel and the northern beach on their way to the river.

The north shore has much more muck. I have personally fished the north edge of the river channel all the way out to the second can and worked up with the incoming tide. It is treacherous, and an easy way to die.

With the flooding tide, the muck flats quickly disappear under water. You can find yourself a long way from the beach in a short time.

You will see the most inefficient fishing imaginable at the north shore. People will slog way offshore, catch a fish, and drag it all the way back to the beach in order to get it out of their net. In the meantime, more fish are going by and, invariably, someone moves in to take their place. Stay in place, remove the fish from your net, and put it in a web bag. They will fall off a stringer as their jaws get pretty soft after a while.

Upriver on the north bank beyond the point, many people do fine in the little cove there. As the tide goes out, though, you've got the muck to contend with.

My preferred method is to use a 12' skiff with a 6hp kicker. It's small enough to throw it in all by yourself, and it allows you to find where the bunches of fish are and leapfrog your way as they move towards the point. With a boat, you can always have your net basket in the right direction whether the tide is flowing or ebbing. Slack time is also fishable, once you find where they are laying, waiting for the water to move.

As far as noise goes, both shores of the Kasilof are pretty noisy at night with ATV's and fireworks and all.

I prefer the north shore for camping. Get there early though, as space is limited.

Please don't get your truck stuck on the beach below high water line.

FYI Thought I'd bump this one back up.

Los Anchorage

good info, what is the tide differences (time) between Kasilof and Kenai.

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

Good dissertation on the typical fish traveling route. That is exactly my experience as well. I'd also add that people have a tendency to fish too far from shore on the north beach. You do not have to be chest deep. In fact, you can fish pretty dang good in only waist deep water.

I disagree with your assessment of stringers though. I've never lost a fish off a stringer. Salmon jaws are plenty strong enough, but you have to use the right stringer. If you've seen a fish come off a stringer, I'll bet it was one of those Kenai Keepers. They use far too thin a wire, which will cut through a jawbone in short order due to the oscillation experienced in the surf. I highly recommend steering clear of the Kenai Keeper and just buying a length of 3/16" coated aircraft cable to build your own stringer. The stiff, fat wire doesn't cut the fish.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!