Thread: Seward Report

Default Seward Report

Little slow on the fishing reports. Been busy fishing every day for a few weeks now.....The big news is that there are some SILVERS showing up at Pony Cove and Cheval Island. I have seen over 100 silvers up at the cleaning tables each of the last three evenings. There are few showing to the east as well but no where near as many as at the mouth of the bay.
    Halibut fishing has been solid but during this small tide set the dog fish have been horrendous. I have been catching atleast 100 a day at Montague. Good news is that there are some halibut to be had when the dogfish stop biting. It is cleaner fishing closer to Seward, Barwell, Junken, Elrington are all fishing well as is Cloudy Cape, etc...
    Week until lingcod opens and 7 days left in the halibut tournament....It's far from over with the leading fishing 210 pounds. A 215 came in tonight with no derby ticket.....Time to put on the big baits and sit it out!! Good luck out there!!

I killed the silvers at pony cove today, got 10 in 4-5 hours and missed that many more. Heck I ran out of bait, going back out in the Am.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the update Capt, glad to hear you're keeping the boat full. We've had pretty good luck fishing Mansfield to Junken this year. Have also noticed a pretty good uptick in the amount of dogfish this past weekend. Pony Cove silvers and Cape Cloudy halibut sounds like it might do the trick next weekend.

We were way out and east today. Boat picked up 3 in the 100# range and about 10 between 40-75#, plus a bunch on the smaller end of things. Jigs were the ticket today....caught very few on bait. The captain let my 6 year old mooch off the bow while we fished the bottom and he got 4 salmon, 3 pinks and 1 silver. He was stoked. The boat probably caught 10 legal sized lings, too. Shame we're still a few days from being able to keep them!

Weather was decent and seas were great for that far out. They kicked up a bit around noon, but it died off as fast as it started. All in all a great day for the boat we were on!

(Didn't catch a singe dogfish, either.....)

Just got a picture uploaded from our trip yesterday. The guys around us are the crew on the left and the skipper on the right, my wife, son, and I on a knee. Our two bigger fish are the two to the left of the biggest one in the middle. One of the other smaller ones is mine, too, but not sure which one. Three fish yielded us about 150lbs of meat. Highly recommend these guys for charters out of Seward.

IMG_0011.jpg

Recommend whom?

Oh, right. Guess that would be good info to have included....lol.

Alaska Northern Outfitters

http://www.alaskanorthernoutfitters.com/

(907)224-2665

I did very well friday and saturday as well...out both directions. Lots of silvers and a couple kings...one was 20#s and the other 30#s. Halibut were coming easy (no biggins), plenty of 7-8# blackies and a couple 20# yelloweyes to round in out. Didn`t give any lings sore mouths in anticipation of next weekend. Excellent fishing and going to get better.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I can't wait!!! Thanks for the reports!!! Hope the weather stays nice for ya and the fish stay hungry!

We went to Montague with Pro Fish 'n Sea yesterday (Monday) and did really well. Top fish was 105, with several more in the 70-90# range. Fished in one spot all day, 80 feet of water, no bad weather- can't beat a deal like that. One silver boated, a few rockfish, one dogfish. Here's a shot of my brother and me with our boat's catch- 10 fishers on board, we brought home 144 lbs. of filets.

P1050199.jpg

I was out at Montague on a company paid charter on Monday with Saltwater Safari and you did way better than us. We got one that was 92 and the remainder were in the 10-25 range. Actually I think I was watching when your picture was taken..... we were thinking about posing in front of your fish.... we had fun but the butts were small, on the upside I got to see Montague and how big the waves are coming out of the bay.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson