Thread: Moose and Bear from Big John Bay Cabin

Default Moose and Bear from Big John Bay Cabin

A friend and I are going to stay at Big John Bay Cabin in late Sept. early Oct to hunt moose primarily, but will likely get bear and wolf tags too. We will have an inflatable with 8 hp on it. We were thinking about Irish Creek on the first few days as the tide will be high at dawn and dusk allowing travel. My question would be what would be the best stratagy for these animals? Cruise the shore? Climb and glass? Travel the creeks? Any info on the navagatability of the area's creeks and Big John Bay would be appreciated.

Call for bulls, blind hunt the creeks for bears, hunt carcasses for both predator species.

Thanky Bighorse. Is the forest there open enough to see the approach of called bulls. We hunted last year in the interior and would call from the top of moraines that overlooked the creek and muskeg bogs.

By blind hunting the creeks for bears do you mean using a blind or do you mean moving along the creeks looking for bear?

I hope someone can chime in about the water in the creeks and tidal bays. I have the concern that I might break a prop (or worse) on rocks in the bay or the bottom of the creeks. I not an idiot though and know to stay out of short water, but it would help me plan my stratagy if I know whether or not I'd be able to get the boat very far up the creeks.

I mean set up at dusk in a fishy or feed area if you've got a run happening. I'm not clear on visibility for that location.
    Your smart considering tide. Hopefully someone with share that local knowlege with you. Sounds like a fun hunt combo.

The tides in the area are big and the local waterway is called Rocky Pass for a reason. You can cruise up the creeks with the tides, but you cannot run them. Random rocks will eat your lower unit and tides can leave you stranded on large flats. Take care with these moose down here. They have some funny antlers, so choose carefully. It is hard to judge them in the rainforest. Happy hunting and bring good rain gear!!!

Keep your powder dry,
    Ruckus
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

I found a free source for charts.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/s...kletChart.html

Having studied the pass now, I feel kinda better. The pass is alot more complicated than a topo would have you believe, but now with a nautical chart, I have the information I need to take safe routes.

I like the bear advise regarding the creeks and fish runs. As I have a moose from last year, I might be more desirous of a good boar on this trip. My friend still wants a moose (and a wolf) and I'd take a good one too. I don't have any pressure for a moose though and would take a good bear over a good moose and a good moose over a fair bear.

I got the rain gear. It is going to be a whole new, beautiful adventure adding the sea to our Alaska hunt.

Default wolf killed from the porch of this cabin

I killed a wolf there on a spring bear hunt. Called the wolf in with a predator call from a 1000 yds Did not see a bear or moose in the area.

Well, that's no good, for moose and bear anyway. Good for wolf though. In our preliminary fact finding, Irish Creek was recommended. The tides will allow us travel to this creek for the first three or four days of our stay. I don't know how far up the creek we will be able to go before we have to beach.

Never been there but I never anticipate staying up a creek or river. Typically you'll find the estuary of most major drainages too shallow to navigate. Unless you plan on staying overnight or all day through tide change be careful about bringing a boat high up an unfamiliar river. Plan a long hike with off shore anchorage or go in with packable low draft water craft.
    Bring waders that likely will aid you in hunting that waterway.