Thread: Anybody got a published load or source for one...

Default Anybody got a published load or source for one...

300WSM with RL17 and 150gr. Nosler BTs? Looking for something conservative (3100-3200fps), not ejector marks and barrel scorching velocity. Several "Internet" sources put the 150s at darn near 3400- hotter than I need or want.

Guessing based on other published 150gr loads with similar bullets with RL17 that something like 62-63gr. should be a good starting load with the top at about 69 but I'd prefer not to guess. My print manuals are all too old for either the WSM or RL17...

Nosler's website list loads with both RL-15 and RL-19 but no RL17.

Alliant has a 300 WSM recipe for the Speer 150 BT on its website.
    Federal cases, Fed 215 primers, and 69.3 grains of RL-17. They show that getting 3343 fps from their test barrel.

Reduce 10 percent and work up to the velocity you want using the Nosler bullet.

If I did this right, you can see it here.

For some "published loads" you might want to check the Hodgdon web site for data with their new Superformance powder and the 300 WSM - pretty impressive and reportedly burns cooler than the competition.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

If you're not looking to use the extra velocity that Rl17 offers, you may as well run the more temp sensitive H4350. The charge weights and the burn rate are darn near identical on everything I've used both of them for. Start at around 65 grains with either powder and you'll probably end up somewhere around 67 grains with the 150 grain bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010088.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	50514Depending on the rifle, you may want to be a little more conservative. In 165 to 180 gr I've found 2900 to 2950 the Best velocity. In the 150's 3000 to 3050... but, I've only tried 150's in my Kimber. All my other 300 wsm's got fed 180's from the start. And I don't load 150's for the Kimber anymore either. Worked up that load for Texas Whitetail. Got an honest .30 group w/the Kimber. But have gotten a .25 group with Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. Picture is Kimber w/it's first buck.

Chris

I got out with some of my new loads today.

I started with 64.5gr of RL17 loaded to minimum OAL. Just took the max load and reduced 7%. No idea what the velocity was but accuracy was under an inch for three seperate three shot groups (hows that for beginners luck!).

Recoil was surprisingly mild compared to my 180gr factory loads. Just looking at different load books I'd guess a MV of about 3100fps or so, I'll have to try to get my hands on a chronograph very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I got out with some of my new loads today.

I started with 64.5gr of RL17 loaded to minimum OAL. Just took the max load and reduced 7%. No idea what the velocity was but accuracy was under an inch for three seperate three shot groups (hows that for beginners luck!).

Recoil was surprisingly mild compared to my 180gr factory loads. Just looking at different load books I'd guess a MV of about 3100fps or so, I'll have to try to get my hands on a chronograph very soon.
    What was your best charge weight?

67.1gr or 67.5 looks like the winner right now... I was getting pretty tired and twitchy by the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    67.1gr or 67.5 looks like the winner right now... I was getting pretty tired and twitchy by the end though.
    I can guarantee your above 3100 fps. I'm betting closer to 3200-3300 depending on your gun. What make and model are you shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    What make and model are you shooting?
    Nosler M48...24" barrel.