Thread: Yetna River

Default Yetna River

Anyone been to the Yetna River lately? How is the river from Deshka Landing to the Yetna? I haven't been that way before and want to know what the river is like and what to expect - have only been to the Deshka so far. Any info is appreciated.

Water levels have been low but heard over the last day or two things have been on the rise. The hardest part is you need to go down river past the Yetena before turning back up into the Yetena. There is a large sand bar on the right between the rivers. You will see seals hauled out on the bar during Silver season. Staying left of middle channel go down to almost fully past the entrance to the Yetena and follow the left bank up the Yetena.

There is one other tricky spot where the river gets wide and you can shortcut it sometimes when water is running normal summer levels, but I stay on the main river channel to the left.

I second what Dupont said. Also look at google earth and look at how the Yetna flows into the Sue and that will give you a good idea how to enter the Yetna.

when the water is low it easier to read the river at the mouth of the yenta... pretty simple very simple...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Akmike30, Have you heard how the little shortcut from the Su to the Yetna is lately? I'm gonna head out tomorrow to pick up my bait stand and hate to get in there and find it's too low to take now. LOL

The shortcut was plenty high today. We went out on Thursday and came back today and the water was quite high and rose more overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    You will see seals hauled out on the bar during Silver season.
    There was a very large seal out there on Thursday evening swimming around just off the point. Pretty cool to see them working the river.

Thanks Brian.

If you dont have a GPS, you can actually miss the Yetna as it just looks like another braid of the Big Su coming together ... If you see a rock face on the left and the Susitna Post Office flag you have gone to far .... turn around and hug the left bank and that will get you into the mouth safely.

If you have any doubt and it's a nice day kick back and wait for some traffic for a better idea where the mouth channel is..good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone... think we will try it next weekend!

Flew over the yetna and skwetna yesterday. Water is getting higher as the runoff is coming down now.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Thanks everyone... think we will try it next weekend!
    Trigger
    I'm sure there will be any number of boats headed for the Yentna on Saturday.. ask around at the landing, and I'm reasonably sure those headed that way would not object to you following them...

I'm headed out on friday around noon and back for another trip that evening if your headed out I would be happy to show you the way if it's in your time frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im flying the river today so I'll give a report
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I just went down to the Power Lines on Wednesday for the first time, I had no issues with water, just stayed clear of the sand bars and ran near the cut bank when possible. Depth finder blinked a couple of times at 1.4ft, but no issues... It was a good run.