Thread: Anchor point / Homer halibut - I know this is bad form but .....

Default Anchor point / Homer halibut - I know this is bad form but .....

I've been back here for a couple years now and was just getting a few decent fishing holes collected when, last summer, my gps was lost on a hike and, even though several attempts were made, it was never located and my dumb-***** never made a paper copy.So here is the request...I would sure appreciate a few good fishing hole coordinates out of the Homer / Anchor Point area to get me and my family back on track other than the usual compass rose / pogibshi? point spots which I tried with minimal success. We only get out 4-6 times a year so you would probably never see me and I would never give out someone else's fishing holes.Thank you for considering this request

1st post asking for coordinates? you might have better luck asking how to read into the charts and tides and then put in the effort to find your own spots.

Or simply try searching this forum for threads on the very same question you're asking...

If you had coordinates saved in your GPS, then you would have to know the general location of those spots and you should be able to find them again pretty easily. I really doubt anyone is just gonna come out and give you any coordinates.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'll let you use my VISA card (24593-3217-595579) so you can just take a charter to get some fish. If you want, take a couple trips it's ok.

If you've replaced that lost GPS by then, take it with you and mark all the places the charter operator takes you, he won't mind!
    Isn't Alaska a wonderful place?

Mike

Uuuuuhhhhh.......you forgot to leave the expiration date.

Alaska376
    My advice to you is to first use the search function here and write down all the areas people talk about. Then get out your charts and look for fishy areas with those general areas.
    Next I would take my boat out and be sure and carry a good set of binoculars. As you head towards your chosen area look for boats fishing with halibut rods. Don't get too close or wake an anchored boat too badly but swing by and if you see them catching fish mark that spot on your GPS to try at a later date. If the boat is a charter boat the odds are good there will be fish there next time. It is always fun to find some new spots on your own so be sure to check out and fish the areas you selected while studying the charts at home.
    I use Garmin blue charts on a computer so any areas I find on the charts that I want to fish I just put the cursor over the spot and it gives me the GPS coordinates. I also use it to download and store my waypoints in case my gps is lost or damaged.

btw have you got any gold mining spots open to me where I can find one half to one ounce a day or more? I promise I will only go there 4-6 times a year so you will probably never see me.
    After throughly checking your mining area I will gladly send you some good Halibut coordinates.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I'll let you use my VISA card (24593-3217-595579) so you can just take a charter to get some fish. If you want, take a couple trips it's ok.

If you've replaced that lost GPS by then, take it with you and mark all the places the charter operator takes you, he won't mind!
    Isn't Alaska a wonderful place?

Mike
    Hey Mike is that your personal credit card or the company one?
    Oh and you left out a couple of digits and he needs the expireation date and the ccw number off the back
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned "this is my special card" none of that expiration or ccw stuff matters, this baby is good for Life. All you do is wink when you use it, it works every time.

If a fellow is nervous about using this card with an unknown charter operator just swing by 10th & M sea food company, they'll let you charge anything you want on my card. Don't forget to wink

People tell me I should not be so generous because we're gonna end up with a bunch of Okies up here once they find out how friendly we all are. I never thought about that.

Mike

Do any of you have a cabin on some great moose hunting ground and a 4 wheeler i can use at the same time?

Follow the afternoon charters... They don't go real far and where they fish there are LOTS of Halibut.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Thanks for the help....

I really appreciate the help that I got from several of you. A couple good chicken holes to take the kids to and a lot of good advice. There are always a few jackass comments that are to be expected, it just amazes me how often they come from the valley. So, let me ease their minds..... I really don't need your "special fishing holes".

Sir please follow forum rules and do not post negative comments about other members.

Flame comments deleted by stid2677

Two or three years ago someone was trying to sell his fishing log with coordinates. But this is a tough crowd, wanted guarantees to catch fish. I think the log went unsold.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska376 View Post
    I really appreciate the help that I got from several of you. A couple good chicken holes to take the kids to and a lot of good advice. There are always a few jackass comments that are to be expected, it just amazes me how often they come from the valley. So, let me ease their minds..... I really don't need your "special fishing holes".

Sir please follow forum rules and do not post negative comments about other members.

Flame comments deleted by stid2677
    Hey first time poster asking for somebody's coordinates, keep your stereotyping to your self. Looks like you have drunk too much of the ADN kool-aid being dispensed in the city. Get back on the dock at DeLong Lake and bait your hook. One guy from the valley rips your thread, and you call it the whole valley. Get over it city boy.

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Hey first time poster asking for somebody's coordinates, keep your stereotyping to your self. Looks like you have drunk too much of the ADN kool-aid being dispensed in the city. Get back on the dock at DeLong Lake and bait your hook. One guy from the valley rips your thread, and you call it the whole valley. Get over it city boy.
    So much sophomoric name calling!...sounds kind o' like the pot calling the kettle black. Then again, from my view I thought everything south of Talkeetna was "Anchorage". I guess it's all relative, eh?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist