Thread: Photos/hudson bay /surface drive and windshield

Default Photos/hudson bay /surface drive and windshield

Here are photos of my "pimped out" hudson bay. Go to the photobucket address.
    The surface drive is in the exact position it would be in for river travel. It locks higher up for
    trailering.
    I hope the photos detail the collapsible windshield, surface drive,plywood wind baffle, routed
    holes for oars and pike poles, and kevlar keel strips and stern skid plate. Lots of folks have asked
    for the photos.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...th%20amenities

Great visual essay. A skookum rig for Alaska. Any more improvements yet to appear? And, is there a solution or work-around for the too speedy idle?
    Last edited by Rick; 06-25-2011 at 20:33. Reason: error

I like the rig
    you do great work

I WANT ONE!!! That is a mean machine..... Thanks for sharing.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Very nice indeed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Great visual essay. A skookum rig for Alaska. Any more improvements yet to appear? And, is there a solution or work-around for the too speedy idle?
    For the too fast idle you just hold the prop a little higher. It kicks up a lot of water but you can go as slow as you want. Air cooled so you don't have to have it in the water.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Smile air cooled

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    Air cooled so you don't have to have it in the water.
    That is so easy to forget for us outboarders. Well, at least until Mainer pulls into your driveway for the umpteenth time and starts his big Copperhead surface drive. Gotta make my (few) neighbors go: HUH?

Too throaty to be a marine engine, too loud to be a mower of any kind, and no two-stroke chainsaw whine. Aw, let'm wonder; they can't see me, for the trees, so wonderin's all they got.

kandik ...
    I'm particularly impressed with your system of supporting your MB motor on the trailer .... an elegant solution, which protects the HB's transom beautifully. Good job.

Rick/ More improvements? Perhaps, but I'm not sure what it would be. It's already pretty "pimped out".
    Regarding the idle: I think Martyv is right. The simplest solution is to raise the prop, but there's some "splash".
    I'm also going to talk to the mechanics at Rod's saw shop. They're experts on the vanguards. Maybe the idle
    can be set a little lower. The ratchet strap, steel trusses, and radiator hose works extremely well. However, it
    was a bit of a hassle to pull it all together.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Now we need some video of you running it!

Erich

If you can dream it,, do it..
    setting up your freighter the way you want it is one of the great things about these boats..
    as wet as sometimes they can get.. a little help keeping yourself dry is very cool..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Kandik ...
    Does your MB have the "electric clutch"? I wonder if that would assist with keeping the boat creeping along, rather than the too fast idle speed, i.e., turn the clutch (neutral?) on and off to moderate the speed?
    MB's site shows a remote steering option ... what do you think?

Rick, I'm not qualified to address the clutch issue. My HB doesn't have one. For going really slow I'd be tempted
    to hang a 2 Hp on a thwart extender. Remote steering? I thought about a JB with a custom doghouse and remote
    steering. I mean ,after all, it is a motor boat. 20 mph in early oct. in the teens is pretty cold because your body
    is inert. I guess I decided to keep the HB a little simpler.