Thread: New mountian Rifle

Default New mountian Rifle

Last winter I bought a 280 weathery mark V ultra light. Well it didn't shot so good. I thought about selling it, but new I would be passing on a rifle that didn't shot. So I decided to get it rebarrled. I had the action blue printed, barrel bedded, and a nice new douglas #4 24" barrel added. I mounted a 3.5x10x40 VX-3 with one piece talley rings. I just spent most of the day fire forming brass. I can acually say that I was sick of shooting after a 100 rounds. I have 60 more to fire form tomorrow then I will be working up a load with either 160 gr Accubond or 150 TTSX barnes. I can't decided yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who replaced the barrel for you? The reason I ask is that I have a model 70 .243 that I am going to have rebarreled and stocked for a kids gun, so just curious who you used.

Stand Jackson did all the work.

Sweet looking rifle!!! Let us know how it shoots when you get it worked up

Nicely done! That's a nice rifle and I love the chambering. I haven't used Stan Jackson for any of my work but I do plan on it. What's his turn around time? Hope you get a chance to kill some critters with that setup this year.

it took about two months. i think that most of the wait was getting the barrel.

I'm liking the 280AI more every time I think about it... what's the weight on that one?

Me too! The new Kimber 84l action just made the round much more relevant!!

nice rifle! you made an excellent choice with barrel contour and length. it will be at home after a hard climb or shooting cross canyon. my .280AI will turn factory 7mm mag velocities up to 160 gr bullets with a 25" lilja barrel. my rifle seems to like 140gr barnes and hodgdon 4831, it is a great rifle, having used it on deer & elk.

best of luck with yours!!
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm liking the 280AI more every time I think about it... what's the weight on that one?
    I was out of town for a week and got to weighting if with my fish scale and it weighted in at 7lbs4oz. I will starting working loads for it tomorrow. Im going to 150 TTSX with IMR4831. I will be triing to reach 2900FPS, but if I cant get good groups I will be happy with 2825 or so.

I dig the .280AI! I've had two different rifles in the chambering (still own one of them) and have an 84L Montana on order.

I have had great accuracy with RL-22, IMR4831, H4831, and N165 powders with a variety of bullets. I saw spectacular accuracy with the 160TSX's, but I mainly used 120 & 140-grainers. I love what the 120gr TSX does to critters. They plum knock the life outta stuff!

Nice rifle! I ended up with 160 AccuBonds for my 7mm wsm. I'm a huge TSX fan, but it's pretty hard to beat a .531 BC.

Brett

I like it, great cartridge, and good setup.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS