Thread: How well do Warne detachable scope mounts hold their "zero" when removed and replaced

Default How well do Warne detachable scope mounts hold their "zero" when removed and replaced

Mid-summer hello....How well do Warne detachable scope mounts hold their "zero" when removed and replaced?? I have two guns and 3 scopes with these rings and bases. The re-zero seems to be pretty good but I have not really tested them that well yet. I was wondering what other folks have experienced. I have them on my 338 Win Mag and on my 416 Remington. The 416 Remington would be used with the scope (1.5 x 5 Lupy) or with the express sights. The 338 Win Mag would be used with my main scope (2.5 x 8 Lupy) or my 4.5 x 14 Lupy (long range scope). What's your experience

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

I am going to assume you mean the now, only Warne mounts, the maxima or Weaver/1913 type. Not the older Greg Warne mounts similar to Talley's.

In which case I'll claim to have ample experience with them (both actually). If you push the ring fully forward each time to take out any slop that may exist between the square pin on the ring and the base slot, they are very good. I've typically experienced errors of an inch or less with them. I think in worst case I've seen maybe a two inch error, this is at 100 yards. I've seen many to shoot into the same group. Going to a different gun of course it likely wont shoot to same POA but will be predictably off set and you can adjust to suit new rifle before shooting. They are a good set up and a good economical mount. The older narrow base mounts are good to re-zero, too but a pain to mount sometimes.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

We have the Warne detachable steel rings on 5 rifles. My experience pretty much mirrors what Murphy said. I forget how many years I have been using them with out a problem. I never take the scope off the gun unless it is necessary. After testing them on each rifle a few times to see if they returned to zero I was always satisfied. If I felt the need to take them off due to tracking a wounded bear in the alders I would not worry about the zero when I put the scope back on. When I did a couple of Koyukuk moose hunts I brought a sighted in 1.75X6 Leupold in Warne rings along as a spare in case the 2.5x8 Leupold messed up.

I'll be headed to the range in a couple of weeks and will give a report. I'm going to take them off and on and then check the "zero"...The Warnes' I have now are the newer version, the Maxima. I really like them so far. I don't take the scope off with out reason but it's great to have when you need it.

I have a Bausch and Lomb 2.5 x 8 BALVAR 8A scope on my 6mm Remington. It has a Bausch and Lomb adjustable mount that is detachable. That will re-zero perfectly. It was made in the late 60's and is a great mount and was likely a bit ahead of it's time! I bought the scope used with a new rifle in the summer of 1970 and I've shot a lot of game with it from groundhogs (Years ago in Indiana) to coyotes and deer here in Colorado.

Thanks,

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    I have a Bausch and Lomb 2.5 x 8 BALVAR 8A scope on my 6mm Remington. It has a Bausch and Lomb adjustable mount that is detachable. That will re-zero perfectly.
    If you want that exact same scope set up for a Reminton 700 long action, let me know.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

No thanks...I use Lupy VariX III 2.5-8 x 36 scopes on my .270 and .338 and Lupy VariX III 1.5-5 x 20 scopes on my 375 Ruger and 416 Remington....The 6mm stays the same for sentimental reasons.

Silver Tip

I have them on my remington R-25. I like to show friends not familar with them how easy it is to remove and re mount. At first I worried that maybe it went south, it would'nt re-zero. But, so far every time it has been right on. I also am careful to give a push forward during remounting. When doing so I push it rearward first then forward so I can feel the slight movement forward with a small "thunk".