Thread: Lee in Anchorage?

Default Lee in Anchorage?

Looking to go into town to buy a starter single stage reloading kit today. I would really like to look at/buy Lee products.
    I thought I saw an Anniversary Kit at SW the other day. Does anyone know of any other place in Anchorage that carries Lee products. I heard maybe a shop on Muldoon, not sure which one thought.
    Thanks

Spend the extra $$ and get RCBS you will be happier. GNG is a great source.

I love Lee dies but I feel RCBS does everything else better. Mix and match if fine, most of us use all the brands for something or other. I'd recommend an RCBS Rockcrusher starter kit and Lee dies to start you out. You can get all things Lee from Lee online also.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you can not find one in anchorage, I do have the lee starter kits is stock if you ever make it to the valley.

Sterling Cook
    Arctic Ammo & Reloading Supplies
    4900 palmer-wasilla hwy ste 1B
    Wasilla AK 99654
    (907) 357-3381

Hmmmmm. Guess I should be more patient. Shortly after posting this I bought the anniversary kit from SW here in Anchorage. I, during my research, had got the feeling that most were pretty happy with the Lee product. Two of the three replies say otherwise. Not good, or just not as good as.........Or maybe some Chevy -vs- Ford?
    I certainly don't know, and will shortly reload my first round ever. In any case, thanks for your opinions so far. Mr Cook, I do make it to the valley periodically, I need to stop and see you when I do. I have 3 or 4 more die sets to buy.
    Thanks

Well Lee makes some very good stuff and some not so good stuff. It all works just some of it is flimsy made and wonít stand a lot of abuse, it is intended to get you going cheap. Then they have stuff every bit as good as RCBS and that will run almost the same price as the RCBS version. There is nothing wrong with Lee products but people often compare the economy Lee product to RCBS who has no economy product line, they donít even realize Lee also makes better quality stuff that compares well to RCBS.

I have been reloading a very long time and find Lee makes flat out great dies for way cheaper than comparable in other brands so I far prefer their dies. Most other stuff I like RCBS the best unless you are talking progressive presses then it has to be Dillon. All the brands work but seem to have one thing they do better than the others so we all end up mixing and matching brands in this game . . . there is no ďbadĒ brand just great, good, and mediocre models within the different brands.

Your Lee products are perfectly serviceable tools and Lee will stand behind them 100%, use, enjoy, and welcome to the addiction!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Thought I had got a lemon at first. Sounds like what I got should fit into my need right now. I'll be starting to learn with .44 mag rounds, as based on advise from this forum straight wall cartridges give an easier learning curve. And I like shooting my Redhawk.
    Thanks.

I started out essentially the lee anniversary kit purchased piecemiel, and loaded 1000's of rounds of safe, fully servicable and accurate ammunition for many different chamberings from 218 mashburn to 458 lott. Eventually I upgraded the press and powder thrower, but still use misc bits of lee kit. Personally I don't think anyone single manufacturer makes the best of everything, and upgrading one item at a time is a good way to go.

I think you'll find most people that disparage Lee equipment have never used it, and simply dismiss it as cheap junk.

Personally I think RCBS is over rated and I prefer Redding and Forster products.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Personally I think RCBS is over rated and I prefer Redding and Forster products.
    Iíd agree RCBS ainít all that but most is of good quality . . . biggest advantage of RCBS is everybody seems to stock it. I donít like their dies and avoid them if I can, had several issues with them over the years. Anyone need some 357 dies with about a .340Ē resizing die, got 3 sets in a row from RCBS back in the 90s and didnít bother returning the last. I do like RCBS Rockcrusher presses best in single stage though, tough, accurate, and last forever. All the brands make some good stuff and some not so good, good thing so much of it is interchangeable so we can mix and match.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Keep the press clean and lubed and you will get a lifetime out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    Hmmmmm. Guess I should be more patient. Shortly after posting this I bought the anniversary kit from SW here in Anchorage. I, during my research, had got the feeling that most were pretty happy with the Lee product. Two of the three replies say otherwise. Not good, or just not as good as.........Or maybe some Chevy -vs- Ford?I certainly don't know, and will shortly reload my first round ever. In any case, thanks for your opinions so far. Mr Cook, I do make it to the valley periodically, I need to stop and see you when I do. I have 3 or 4 more die sets to buy.Thanks
    Lee makes cast iron presses that wear, well, like cast iron. The aluminum presses need a little more care. Keep the linkage clean, lubed and properly adjusted, and the bearing surfaces of the ram, too. Aluminum is a softer metal than iron and wears out faster. Keep the grit out and clean lubricant in and it will be fine.Lost Sheep

Love the hand held Auto Prime tool and loaded thousands of rounds before I wore a flat spot into it. I fixed that by drilling a small hole into it and ran a 6/32 tap into it and then put in a screw which I ground down to get the height back.
    I like the hand held as I can feel when primer pockets get too big from too many loads.

I think you'll find most people that disparage Lee equipment have never used it, and simply dismiss it as cheap junk.
    Maybe true and I dont mind Lee dies, but I for one startd with Lee umpteen years ago and quickly replaced it with RCBS and Redding

I use some lee stuff and consider it to be as good as the rest. I like Lee Dies and case trimmers. I also like Lee bullet molds but not because they are as good as others but because they are cheap and can be made to work very well. Also like there little box of 12 shell holders. I think I paid $18 for the 12 and it covers almost everything I shoot. I have heard there cast iron press is very good. I have stayed away from their plastisc stuff and from what I've heard that was a good idea. Like most that have been at it a while, I have equiptment from most of the makers. Some is better than others but for the most part it all works. I have a couple of old aluminum c presses from C&H probably made in the 50s or 60s that still work fine. Keep your press clean and lubed and it should last your lifetime. Some equiptment is actually quite a bit better than others but you will pay dearly for it. I have a Dillon 550b and it is a very good press but it wasn't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Maybe true and I dont mind Lee dies, but I for one startd with Lee umpteen years ago and quickly replaced it with RCBS and Redding
    Pretty much sums up my use of Lee products as well, with a couple exceptions. I can't get away from the Lee Auto Prime. I've tried several other hand primers and keep coming back to it. I realize that some reloaders have issues with its durability, but I have two of them right now; one has loaded 100,000+ primers and the other 25,000+ primers and neither has given a minute's trouble.

The other Lee product that I use regularly is their Factory Crimp die for various cartridges. It is a very effective reloading tool that I do not want to be without.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

1Cor15:19
    I just got my first Lee factory crimp die and haven't had a chance to use it yet. What should I expect for results? I'll be using it on a 25/20 and a 256Win. I got this in trade so no instructions. Should I use a heavy, light or med crimp and do you crimp just the very end of the neck or further down toward the shoulder? I may be using this on both cast and jacketed bullets. Thanks Buck

I only crimp the "end of the neck." You can adjust from heavier to lighter by adjusting the die and a little experimenting may produce better accuracy, but as a rule I want just enough crimp to hold the bullet in place--no more, no less.

It will handle jacketed and plain lead bullet with aplomb. I appreciate that a cannelure/crimping groove is not necessary with the FC die and I like that bullet seating is performed independently of crimping. Here's a LINK with instructions from Lee on the FC die.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I guess I'm a bit late here, but for what it's worth, I've been reloading with Lee products almost exclusively for nearly 15 years. I've tried others, and some work just fine. There is a reason that I keep coming back to Lee though. Lee makes products that work for less money than the competition. I find myself increasingly willing to wait for a Lee product these days, even if a competing brand is available immediately. Don't buy the hype. You WILL be satisfied with Lee.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.