Thread: shim scope base or ring inserts?

Default shim scope base or ring inserts?

I just finished building up a VZ-24 98 Mauser in its original 7x57. E.R. Shaw made me a deal on a new barrel and all of the work. Shaw told me to provide a Redfield or Leupold one piece steel base and they mounted it. It fits over the clip charging hump.
    Anyway, I'm trying one of the new Redfield Scopes. At 100 yds it hits 7 inches low with the elevation adjustment maxed out. This means that the back of the scope needs to be higher (opposite of what you first imagine). From reading online, a 0.10 (ten thousands) shim will raise impact 10 inches at 100 yds. I think I'll go with the 0.12 to raise impact 12 inches so that I can crank the elev adjustment back down to about the middle. Does this sound like a plan of attack? I'll have to trim the shim to size. On the other hand, a fellow at the range today told me to look into Burris Ring inserts. Comments??? I've never had to do this before.

Shim it, thats your best bet

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

rifleshooter:
    Shimming will leave a space under the base to catch dirt, etc.

I suggest you use Weaver Style 2 piece bases and have them machined.

Stan Jackson did that for me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

using a shim is a simple fix to resolve your problem......and once tightened won't require another thought. use a shim that covers your bottom ring, take extra time to level and "settle your scope". problem solved.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I just finished building up a VZ-24 98 Mauser in its original 7x57. E.R. Shaw made me a deal on a new barrel and all of the work. Shaw told me to provide a Redfield or Leupold one piece steel base and they mounted it. It fits over the clip charging hump.
    Anyway, I'm trying one of the new Redfield Scopes. At 100 yds it hits 7 inches low with the elevation adjustment maxed out. This means that the back of the scope needs to be higher (opposite of what you first imagine). From reading online, a 0.10 (ten thousands) shim will raise impact 10 inches at 100 yds. I think I'll go with the 0.12 to raise impact 12 inches so that I can crank the elev adjustment back down to about the middle. Does this sound like a plan of attack? I'll have to trim the shim to size. On the other hand, a fellow at the range today told me to look into Burris Ring inserts. Comments??? I've never had to do this before.
    Well, I'm new at all this, but the problems that can arise from scope-ring slippage are interesting to me because slippage can wreak havoc later - when it occurs but the shooter likely isn't initially aware. I've become a believer in the reliability of well-lapped, well-fitted rings in good quality scope bases. Whereas a shim under the base seems an easy fix like pinehavensrocket says and not likely to cause alignment probs in the field, the idea of shims or inserts in the scope rings, I'm not so sure - while it might fix your elevation issue, wouldn't it just introduce another variable vulnerable to fail?

Good discussion about scope-rings-bases-slippage from past:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/67157.htm
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/67191.htm
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/67194.htm
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Any-Solutions

Interesting thread. Thanks.

If you do shim the rear base, be sure that the base screws still have full engagement in the holes. Mausers are fairly thin where the holes are in the rear bridge, and will strip out if the screws don't engage well. A shim will effectively "shorten" the base screw by a thread or so, and there isn't much to grab ahold of back there to start with. In the end, start with over length screws and fit them till they are just right. Good luck!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."