View Poll Results: What type of training class to take?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2-Day Basic Pistol

6 40.00%
  • 2-Day Basic Carbine

3 20.00%
  • Combo of above

6 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What training class would you take?

Default What training class would you take?

What would you guys be into for a training class if one were to be offered sometime in possibly Aug/Sept/Oct? Keep in mind this doesn't have to be a one-time thing, so if you were to take one FIRST, which one would you take?

I would love a two day course, with one day devoted to each subject. I am not much on sitting in a classroom listening to someone jabber, but could happily submit to one on one coaching on the line. Roughly what would something like this cost.......?

I have no need because of the Marines but would think those that did not go in the military would like both.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I would love a two day course, with one day devoted to each subject. I am not much on sitting in a classroom listening to someone jabber, but could happily submit to one on one coaching on the line. Roughly what would something like this cost.......?
    I don't think it would be a 'sitting in class' type of thing. As far as cost, I don't know but likely around $4-500 plus ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have no need because of the Marines but would think those that did not go in the military would like both.
    Funny that many taking these classes are current military/LEO's because of the lack of training received through military channels. Was the M16A1 around when you were in, Will ?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Times New Roman]
    Was the M16A1 around when you were in, Will ?
    Amigo Will, was trained on the "Then" modern 1873 Winchester.

Yep they had them but few it the outfit were willing to take them to the field.My last eighteen months were spent as NCOIC of the combat ranges on Pendleton 7-68--7-69.Stateside I was one of the first group of Alaskan CCW program instructors. I fully believe in training for folks that need it and many do.The hard part is getting them to really pull the trigger when needed without thinking about it.

Yep the 73,what junk.The 30/40 bolt gun well now that was a rifle
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I don't doubt you've had some good training. I will just try to convey that just because you've been in the military, it by no means make you an expert on anything. Yes, it does mean you may have had more experience/exposure than some, but I know many of our elite military guys take classes such as these on a regular basis. Again, that wasn't directed at you...

I'd vote, but I've actually already done it this year. Took a two day handgun class from Ted Smith and Marcus Roulet. The class was oriented towards field protection for professionals working in the bush, so most people used heavy handguns (.44 etc). Very good and I'd recommend taking a high level handgun course to anyone that carries a handgun for bears. I've burned thousands of rounds of .44 mag over the years, but some professional instruction really took my skill level up a notch.

Yk

I'd do both if possible. However, if time/cost is an issue decide which one you can use the most. If you carry concealed or primarily gravitate toward handguns, taking the handgun class makes more sense.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I don't doubt you've had some good training. I will just try to convey that just because you've been in the military, it by no means make you an expert on anything. Yes, it does mean you may have had more experience/exposure than some, but I know many of our elite military guys take classes such as these on a regular basis. Again, that wasn't directed at you...
    I agree fully and believe you need to look at the trainer to see what made him an expert. I got the job as I had just finished two years in Viet Nam as a member of 1st Force Recon co. You are talking basic classes which would seem to be aimed at very new shooters and I support the effort its just not for me.If it was third grade spelling I would jump on it

Basic............. Underwater Demolition School...

Do we have anything above Basic?

Can 10 and 12 year old kids go tho this class then I'll sign up my grand kids.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I know everyone here is already high speed/low drag, but to me all the shooting classes are basic classes...just on a different level.

The 'advanced classes' are still just the basics, just applied to a situation/scenario...

Murph...send 'em up!

Instructor will possibly be Jason Falla...

What kind of carbines are we talking about? ARs and the like or could a guy run the class with a bolt gun or lever action?

More years ago than I care to think about I did a two day rifle class with a Stery Scout. That was a hoot.

ARs.......

mako defense is putting on some israili training courses this summer out here in the mat su, if anyones interested sign up sheets are available at mat su tactical or online thru mako defense
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I should think for $250.00 a day (Say six hours) I could hire an instructor to private teach me on my own range.

the mako course is a 2 day deal and the ak class is $450. for the 2 day course. These guys train israili special forces according to the info
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I voted carbine, but would take any of them. The key for me is lead time. I have to have lead time to schedule off work, at least a couple months in advance. Especially during summer, as there are only so many weekends, and they are almost all full already. Tell me that God is teaching a class in 2 weeks and I get to keep the lightning rod he uses to zap people, and I'll say "sorry, can't make it". Tell me he'll be here October 15-16 and I can put $100 down now and pay it off monthly, and I'm in.

Everybody bringing trainers up here: how about a 'combat medic/gunshot' course? Lots of places offer them outside, but no one brings them up here. I know it isn't high speed enough for some, but I would take it. Maybe add a one day "how to keep shot people from bleeding out" class on a Monday after the 'how to shoot" course for those who want that extra. Again, lead time...

Interesting thread. A couple things that came to mind while reading through...

The one who claims he doesn't need more training is the one most in need of training.

I'm a darn good shooter and an instructor as well (who gets far more than $250 per day, sorry), but I'll jump at any opportunity for gun training. Often the best classes for us "know it alls" are the "basic" classes to keep us grounded in the fundamentals.

Be wary of gun "instructors" with these fat resumes claiming such things as they trained the "Isreali Special Forces", the Navy Seals, or the Secret Service. Hogwash. Every one of these types of groups does their own in-house training. They don't need some random instructors running around talking a bunch of bull as they spin their shiney 1911's on both trigger fingers.

I originally figured you were talking about heading down to one of the big gun schools in the desert. Now that I see you're talking about bringing one up to AK, that changes the scenario quite a bit. With enough lead time and advertising, you will fill up any such class in AK in no time. I know dozens who would love to head down to Gunsite or similar big schools, but can't afford the multi-thousand dollar pricetag for such a venture. To be able to attend something of good quality in state for as low a price tag as you're talking about would bring them out of the woodwork; it would be sold out on the 2nd day.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast