Thread: East entrance to L Clark Pass.

Default East entrance to L Clark Pass.

I flew thru there several times in the early 80s. When I tried the Medallion plane simulator I could not find it.

What is a easy landmark I can use to find it these days?

Anyone have the coordinates to the east entrance handy?

thanks

rick

Big River Lakes. Dont have the coordinates handy but I will look them up when I get on my other computer is someone does not beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Big River Lakes. Dont have the coordinates handy but I will look them up when I get on my other computer is someone does not beat me to it.
    Thanks aheap avid..may need it next week.

Rick

If you have Google Earth, enter Lake Clark Pass Kenai Cook Inlet as the location and then maneuver around down to about 4000 feet in a perspective view until you've figured it out. Big River Lakes is just to the south of the east entrance over a tree covered ridge with a few small lakes nestled into the terrain of that ridge.. Their is a river flowing out of the east entrance of Lake Clark Pass. If you're coming from the north, the last river you cross prior to the river coming out of Lake Clark Pass is the MacArthur River. South of the MacArthur River is a long sloping sparsely treed ridgeline coming down from the mountains and sloping eastward toward Cook Inlet. Between the south side of that ridge and the north side of the ridge bordering Big River Lakes is the river that leads into Lake Clark Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    If you have Google Earth, enter Lake Clark Pass Kenai Cook Inlet as the location and then maneuver around down to about 4000 feet in a perspective view until you've figured it out. Big River Lakes is just to the south of the east entrance over a tree covered ridge with a few small lakes nestled into the terrain of that ridge.. Their is a river flowing out of the east entrance of Lake Clark Pass. If you're coming from the north, the last river you cross prior to the river coming out of Lake Clark Pass is the MacArthur River. South of the MacArthur River is a long sloping sparsely treed ridgeline coming down from the mountains and sloping eastward toward Cook Inlet. Between the south side of that ridge and the north side of the ridge bordering Big River Lakes is the river that leads into Lake Clark Pass.
    Thanks Monguse..That aught to get me there fairly close and I may be able to get the coord off that.

Hey I think I got it fig out. I went to the web camera page thinking the FAA weather cams might have the coordinates and low and behold I found this info:

Name: Lake Clark Pass East
    Camera Identifier: QLE
    METAR Source:
    Latitude: 60° 45.816'
    Longitude: -152° 24.714'
    Site Elevation: 2559' MSL

Here's the link to the interactive map. Clik on the green circle icon, camera location, and it will provide the info.

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/wxcamsi...57&y=3447&z=75

Prob solved. Ha! Whoopee..!!~!

I'll still use the google earth aerial tho cause it'll give me the view I'll see when approaching.

Monguse your description provided the topographic and feature names to give me context and local geographic info. Situational awareness here I come! Ha

Thanks again!..

Rick

Rick,When you heading that direction? I go that way a couple of times a week and you can follow me if you are worried.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Rick,When you heading that direction? I go that way a couple of times a week and you can follow me if you are worried.
    Thanks Ak hunter. Nice for you to offer. I'll let ya know via a PM.

What days do you go?

I followed a twin into the pass, 10/16/83, from the other side when the clouds were very very low. I followed his lights and got that bearing before he disappeared and got in the pass. The distance betw the clouds and the trees kept getting smaller and smaller as I approached the middle high point. I was lucky as there was just a couple hundred feet to the trees as I flew thru. As I went farther the ceiling got higher and higher till they started breaking up and letting sun thru. By the time I made the last turn to the Inlet it a bright beautiful sunny day. Amazing how that happens.

Not to be duplicated at home.

If I didn't know better I'd think the wind, the mnts and the clouds collaborate just to see how much fun they can have stressing pilots out for their amusement!

Also, once you get through the pass going west and a few miles after you pass Summit Lake (silty, glacial) you'll come to a fork defined by the end of a long ridge oriented east and west where you can go almost straight ahead following the river or very slightly to the left over a bit of a forested bench. Either way leads to Lake Clark itself and either way is about the same distance. Over the bench slightly to the left leads to Little Lake Clark from which you can easily see Lake Clark.
    Last edited by Monguse; 06-25-2011 at 22:24. Reason: slight correction

Thanks again Monguse.

I always took the right fork ard the island. I was amazed at how small we were but didnt really get it until I saw another plane passing going the other way with the mnt as the backdrop. We seemed really small.

My destination will be Dili and first long trip in this plane. I hope it holds up. The annual is due at the end of July.

I've flown the pass well over 100 times. Big River Lakes and those crazy looking hills around them are a great marker. Coming from ANC there is a long sloping ridge you'll fly over just before Big River Lakes called Moose Ridge. After passing the lakes you probably remember coming into the chute that leads to the hard right and then left as you head through the narrows. A technique I was taught that when past the lakes aim for the hanging glacier ahead and to the left. If you fly well towards it, you can see through the narrows to verify the pass is open. If it's socked in this will allow you enough room for a 180 and head back out. Remember there are NO right turns once through the narrows! Staying to the right and following the Tlikakila River to Lake Clark (as Monguse shared )is the way for singles to go...many more potential landing spots if things go bad. And watch out for low flying traffic, you'll probably pass a cub or beaver coming through and may see a DC-6 or C-46 roaring through.

My pic is of the glacier on the north side of the summit on a hot July day...about the highest I ever flew through it!

Thanks akaviator. Another good description.

I pulled up Google Earth and tilted the image and got a pretty good idea of the view while approaching the east entrance. That and the GPS coordinates aught to serve me well.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    I flew thru there several times in the early 80s. When I tried the Medallion plane simulator I could not find it.

What is a easy landmark I can use to find it these days?

Anyone have the coordinates to the east entrance handy?

thanks

rick
    It's also possible to just find the second creek past Point Kustatan and follow that one upstream. It will lead you right to the entrance to Lake Clark Pass. If the weather is bad and you find yourself at Drift River, you've gone just a bit too far.