Thread: Reputable air taxi's in King Salmon

Default Reputable air taxi's in King Salmon

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendations for a reputable air taxi out of King Salmon. Maybe someone you've had personal experience with, I'm looking to go out on a fall brown bear hunt with my 2 sons.

Thanks
    Rowdy

I've flown with Branch River Air a couple of times. Once for spring bear & a couple of years ago on a fishing trip. Was pleased with the service both times.

Never have flown in Branch River, have talked with Van a few times, have heard nothing but good about them tho!.....wanting to do a fly in bear hunt with my son this coming spring, I will go with them!

Have flown with Branch River numerous times. Good outfit. Well maintained aircraft. Knowledgeable pilots and support staff.

Van runs a top notch service. Gonna be flying out with him in less than a week for the umpteenth time.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks for the info fella's that just what I was looking for.
    Rowdy

Been bear hunting on the AK.Pen. via Branch River Air - no complaints, knowledgeable, reliable, good pilot, would book with again - good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Another vote for Van (Branch)! Flown with him dozens of times and will continue to use him for my flying needs in that area.

No problems with branch river air service? you mean other than employing this jerkoff?
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-crash-history
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    No problems with branch river air service? you mean other than employing this jerkoff?
    That "jerkoff" has flown myself and others out of some pretty hairy spots, and done so with complete skill and precision. Marco was a top notch individual. And speaking poorly of the dead is the epitome of bad form.

Since your still (mouth) breathing. I'll fasten the same moniker to you.

...And it fits.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post

Sir,, to judge Branch River Air based on this one mishap is unjust IMHO. Considering the incredibly harsh weather conditions that Branch River Air operates in I believe they have an impressive safety record. Branch River Air operates in an area known for high winds and low visibility,,as a norm, not an exception, add to this planes landing off airport with heavy loads. My wife and I have flown with the mishap pilot and aircraft and at no time did I feel we were in any danger, I'm a rated pilot myself and have some knowledge about flying. I challenge you to name any air taxi that has been operating as long as Branch River Air that has not had a mishap.

This type of flying is dangerous and anyone that boards an air taxi should be willing to except that risk, I know I do.

Also to my knowledge only fragments of the wreckage have been recovered to date and the cause of the crash is still unknown. While the loss of life is tragic, it is unfair to judge the dead until proof to the effect is proven.

If I had not drawn a Kodiak bear tag for this fall, I would have already booked with Van again for this coming bear season.

God bless those that were lost, and my prayers to their families.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Don't know if he is still in business but Cecil Shuman flew us and did a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post
    Don't know if he is still in business but Cecil Shuman flew us and did a nice job.
    Yeah if he is flying this fall that's what I'd do.
    C-Air out of King.

Its not just one incident. If you read the complaints about this pilot there were repeated incidents involving him and complaints to the FAA and investigations about him. He has many prior crashes and was cited by NTSB investigations for pilot error on at least two previous occasions and required to requalify for his license. Several mistakes flying on the same trip prompted later complaints yet still they employed him. The complaints question his judgement and competence and if you read them you might also. Its pretty ****ing evidence that he lacked care and skill and shouldnt have been employed. He was also trying to avoid reporting his accidents and any investigations according to the accounts of the complaints of the passengers and flew them in a damaged plane which is obviously illegal. http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-crash-history. I agree flying anywhere in Alaska is dangerous and there is no room for anyone with poor decision making.
    Last edited by Sollybug; 06-30-2011 at 03:44. Reason: LINK
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear