Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to talk about silvers?

Default Is it too early to talk about silvers?

Anyone pick up any silvers yet out of Seward? Usually it's "late" June, they should be charging this way very soon.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Trolled the head of the bay last week and picked up a half-dozen [4 were huge] PINKS that looked just like silvers. I normally don't take them but these were very nice size and when I put some on the grill and they were actually very tasty. Meat was firm and very much orange for a pink salmon. Going to smoke the rest... Can't wait until the Silvers arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Trolled the head of the bay last week and picked up a half-dozen [4 were huge] PINKS that looked just like silvers. I normally don't take them but these were very nice size and when I put some on the grill and they were actually very tasty. Meat was firm and very much orange for a pink salmon. Going to smoke the rest... Can't wait until the Silvers arrive!
    Awesome. The best fish I remember eating was a male pink salmon last summer. The guy thought it was a silver, clubbed it. When I told him it was not a silver but a pink he asked if it was good eating, I said let's find out! Fried it on the cook stove with seasoning and we were in heaven.
    BTW was that at Pony Cove?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Southern edge almost parallel with pilot rock. Lots of birds and sonar was lit up! Linecounter read 40 - 50 feet. They hit both downrigger and deep six diver at that length.

I put 10 silvers and a pink in the boat today at pony cove....in 5 hours of fishing. I would say every boat there caught fish.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

My boat trailer wasn't used much by the previous owner so I've worked through lighting issues and now I have a wheel/tire dragging when I backed in over the gravel driveway here at the house. Need to pull it and see whether it's emer brake or bearings causing the issue. Hopefully it will be something easy so we can ge back after the fish this week. Here are a couple more shots from last week.J-e 080.jpgJ-e 082.jpg

My six year old got one silver and a few pinks waaaay out and east today, pretty randomly. He was mooching while we fished for halibut.

I'm new to Salmon fishing and will be moving to Alaska real soon. Can someone explain what mooching is?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Snider View Post
    I'm new to Salmon fishing and will be moving to Alaska real soon. Can someone explain what mooching is?
    Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYjnaHTP28

I also use the same technique, but will sometimes just let it drift behind the boat while while bottom fishing,,,be advised that some areas only allow one rod per angler.

Have fun

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Mooching is really effective if you know what silvers look like on your sounder. Often times I'll see silvers deeper than you can get with downriggers, or feeding directly on the bottom. Then you can nail em when mooching while the downrigger fishermen go right over them. Another advantage of mooching is that you can get 2-3-4 on at a time, when you run into a clatter of them.

When the fish are out there just wandering around aimlessly, and not many of them are around, you'll catch more trolling tho.

My boat trailer wasn't used much by the previous owner so I've worked through lighting issues and now I have a wheel/tire dragging when I backed in over the gravel driveway here at the house. Need to pull it and see whether it's emer brake or bearings causing the issue. Hopefully it will be something easy so we can ge back after the fish this week. Here are a couple more shots from last week.J-e 080.jpgJ-e 082.jpg
    Not to be critical, but just a little suggestion on the fish finder. Turn that fish ID off, and you'll really see what's down there. Takes a little bit of learning what bait, kings, coho's look like, but once you get it figured out, those fish finders turn into powerful tools. Good job on killing those fish.

Does anyone see a difference between mooching and jigging? I think most people, at least from the Lower 48, are familiar with the term jigging.

A jig is connected directly to your main line. When you mooch, your main line is connected to a crescent sinker with bead swivel, and the two hook mooching rig with a hoochy skirt is ~36-60" back from the weight. While the motion with the rod is essentially the same as jigging, the hardware is not what one typically thinks of as a jig.

So you jig with a moching rig, but a mooching rig is not a jig, it's a mooching rig
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

It is what the homeless do on anchorage streets...I also heard it is a method of fishing for those who don't know how to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Not to be critical, but just a little suggestion on the fish finder. Turn that fish ID off, and you'll really see what's down there. Takes a little bit of learning what bait, kings, coho's look like, but once you get it figured out, those fish finders turn into powerful tools. Good job on killing those fish.
    Thx I will check it out. I haven't changed any settings from the original owner.

Went out this weekend, picked up a few silvers and a pink at toward Agnes cove but, we done alot better about 3 miles NE of Barwell Is. We started to do real good using a banana wt, mootching herring with only 30-40 ft of line. All together brought home 20 silvers, 3 pinks (I almost thought they were silvers) and 3 nice black rockfish.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

I also use the same technique, but will sometimes just let it drift behind the boat while while bottom fishing,,,be advised that some areas only allow one rod per angler.
    Other than icefishing, where can you use two rods in Alaska? Just curious. I've always thought they should allow a sabiki rig in addition to another rod. I always used think two rods are better than one until I have to deal with the kids rods while they are distracted and your rod has a fish on it.

When my kids were young I was under the delusion I could take them fishing and also do some fishing myself. It didn't take too many trips to figure out I needed both hands free to attend to their rods and tangles.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I saw the same thing in the pinks I caught in Icy Strait last week; they were big and the flesh was orange. On most of them the color was identical to the kings and coho we caught. Very strange....

Big_E

We found a recipe today for salmon corn chowder...wife said she's going to try it with one of those [orange] pinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    I saw the same thing in the pinks I caught in Icy Strait last week; they were big and the flesh was orange. On most of them the color was identical to the kings and coho we caught. Very strange....

Big_E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast