Thread: ? about baiting/boating the yukon river

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default ? about baiting/boating the yukon river

I have baited my butt off for the last 3 years and still for one reason or another can not connect or even see a black bear in person. So i was wondering, I have a 16 foot alumacraft v bottom boat that i can putt along in, in around a foot of water or more. It has a 35 horse prop driven motor on it, will this work in the yukon. If so can i pretty much put her up on step and run her or do i have to be extreamely careful on that river for shallow spots and other debrie. It looks like a big deep river but i could be wrong and being wrong in alaska can cost you your life so i figure it's better to ask the question. If my boat can handle it what is the hunting pressure like up there. If i take in a bunch of bait over a long weekend what is the average time it takes for bears to start hitting up there? Also, it the last question i promis, I dont plan on worrying about getting up there early but is the second week of may safe for putting a bait in up there? Thanks for any and all help anyone can give me. If you dont want to tell everyone these answers feel free to PM me.

River will still be frozen 2nd week of May.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Lot of bears on the Yukon and and most locals run props. 2nd week of May will most likely be a little early,, but once the ice goes out the river will be high and is fairly EZ to run with a prop. If I was unfamiliar with the river I would run upstream, that way you could float back to the bridge if you have boat issues.

Have fun and be safe.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

thanks for the info stid, you have been all over alaska and know how do knock some bears over that is for sure. I was thinking of running down river though just from looking at the maps. is there good kinda flat spots up river to bait? Again thanks for any and all help.