Thread: removal of bait, litter, and contaminated soil

Default removal of bait, litter, and contaminated soil

I am sure everyone will have their own unique twist to their interpretation of this rule. But I am just curious to hear the different views. I have always worked hard to diligently remove all my bait, scent lures, barrel, contaminated soil and anything that could be considered an attractant before the close of the season. However, I was just re-reading the baiting regulations and I noticed that it said you must remove all of the mentioned items above after hunting is completed and not at the close of the season. The reason why I find this interesting is that I am curious why the wording specifically says when hunting is completed and not at the close of the season. Does this allow a grace period of a few days after the season in order to get up to our stations to clean our sites? Now I realize a lot of people are going to get mad at me for even suggesting this, but I feel it is a legitimate question. I always just assumed that the bait had to be pulled before the season closed, but maybe it is after season closes, and if so, how much longer afterwards are we allowed to clean up our sites? What are your thoughts?

I looks to me like it is going the other way. If you are done hunting BEFORE the end of the season, you can't just wait until the end of the season to clean up. For example, if you are done hunting 3 weeks before the end of the season, you shouldn't be leaving your stuff out there until closing day, you should clean it up whenever it is you finish. I would say any leeway or "grace period" would get you TO the close of the season, not past it. Say you didn't know you were done hunting yet, but just could't get back out the last week of the season. You still know for sure you are done by the end of the season (by regulation), so you would have to clean it up by then anyway.

The way I understood it from the trooper that was involved when I took the baiting class, is that it better be cleaned up by the end the end of the season or else...Maybe wrong but thats what he told us. I suppose an argument could be made that if your tags are full, and no else is hunting your site, that it should be cleaned up regardless if the season is closed or not. Also, if your activly baiting and hunting a station right up to the end of the season then it should seem reasonable to have a day or two (not a week or two) to get it cleaned up. The guy that follows all the rules but is cleaning up his station shortly after the season closes, its like driving 59 in a 55. With all the illegal stations out there that never get cleaned up they (troopers) should have other priorities.

I have a friend who was ticketed the morning after season closed for leaving a couple pieces of bread on the ground. He figured squirrels would finish it up for him.

Everything must be cleaned up by the close of the season. Any other statements are just semantics.

When I had several really good bears hitting my bait, I would continue baiting till about two weeks before end of season. Then I would pull everything out before close of season. I figured that the bears would remember where they ate so good the year before... and come back the next year, bigger and better! I also built my stand and such from easy to burn stuff.. take lid off worst bait barrel, throw everything in side, and burn it at campsite or on the river sandbar. Haul out the left overs, and build a new barrel for next year. Let both barrels sit in yard to "age" till next baiting season. Only stuff I didn't burn was stuff I used every year and wouldn't wear out easy. (Old artifical christmas tree limbs, stand ladder, barrel lids, chains, locks, ect.)

Chris

Though once, I had a grizzly on my bait, so waited till absolute last weekend to take station out. Trooper actually stopped in at my camp to ask if I was still hunting. Showed him photos, and explained why was real careful taking bait out, and making lots of noise. He said he had seen two brownies at the bridge above my bait for the past month! He even hiked in to check on how much damage had been done. No tickets; but was told I was being too careful, browns run away from humans. This was about a year before I was attacked by a big boar grizzly!

Chris

so what does one do when there is flooded streams or rivers to cross & no boat?? helicopter?

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    so what does one do when there is flooded streams or rivers to cross & no boat?? helicopter?
    Not sure of your question. If is legal to use a helicopter for the activity, the answer would be yes. I doubt the state will furnish you with a helicopter so you can remove the bait station ... or if they do, I doubt you would want the bill.

If after the season ends, just hope the troopers don't get to it before you do and/or expect the appropriate fines/penalties. Maybe they would be understanding, but everyone's situation will likely be different and what more could you realistically expect?

My baits were pulled weeks ago.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    Do you have a helicopter? If not, I would think renting a boat would be much cheaper. In any case, my guess would be that LEO's stance would be "you found a way to get it in there, you find a way to get it out".

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Do you have a helicopter? If not, I would think renting a boat would be much cheaper. In any case, my guess would be that LEO's stance would be "you found a way to get it in there, you find a way to get it out".
    yes thats true I found away in there & will again. the statement was a joke guys .but really, I tried to get my 2nd barell last weekend & the 12' wide, knee deep stream had turned into a 25' wide & way over 10' deep river & evan if i could have crossed it then there was still the trail 8 miles of what i can only imagine to be a river itself. I did think about an airboat but figured that if i can back on the last day the water should be down. I could have chanced it last weekend but i value my life more than a fine & I still plan on getting my barrel/chain.

Well, I leave everything in until the end of the season so I don't have to carry bait out. I pulled my stuff out yesterday and the bears were so desperate, the were eating the dirt under the barrel. Pretty easy clean up.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!