Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a brown bear hunt. rifles?

Default Planning a brown bear hunt. rifles?

In my recent black bear hunts i've managed to locate a good number of brown bears in areas that should make for good hunting later on in the year. These aren't monster browns but who knows there maybe on in the area I haven't seen. bears prob weigh 450 give or take a few pounds. I own a few rifles but the one I am by far the most confident with is my 300WSM. I know this is on the "small" side for browns but what do you think? I am 210% confident that I can put the bullet exactly where it needs to go, every single time with this weapon. what are you guys thoughts on using this weapon? If so what bullets styles do you recomend? I reload so I can put together pretty much anything.
    Thanks
    Griffin

Get yourself some Barnes Tsx, Swift Aframes, Trophy bondeds, or even good old Nosler Partitions, load them up and go shoot a bear. My Dad shot a grizzly last fall with his 7Rsaum and 160 partitions I loaded for him, turned that bear right into a rug. Shoot them in the front half, at a reasonable distance, and keep pouring the lead on as long as they're in sight and not down and you'll be just fine. Lot of big bears fell to the 300H&H, which is what you have ballistically, and the 06,30-40Krag and even less.

that'll be prime. I'd go with 200 Gr bullets, handloaded to perfect accuracy
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

If you can place the shot, why mess with something that aint broke????

.30 cal anything will down a Brown Bear anyfrikkinwhere in the state of AK. If you can hit it correctly with whatever .30 cal you have, then by all means carry that baby and be confident.

If not, buy a Milsurp Finn M-39 Mosin Nagant, some milsurp Czeck ammo and blow yer own mind when that kills em just as dead ~~LOL!!!!!~~

Place the shot correctly, smile while skinning....its that easy.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    In my recent black bear hunts i've managed to locate a good number of brown bears in areas that should make for good hunting later on in the year. These aren't monster browns but who knows there maybe on in the area I haven't seen. bears prob weigh 450 give or take a few pounds. I own a few rifles but the one I am by far the most confident with is my 300WSM. I know this is on the "small" side for browns but what do you think? I am 210% confident that I can put the bullet exactly where it needs to go, every single time with this weapon. what are you guys thoughts on using this weapon? If so what bullets styles do you recomend? I reload so I can put together pretty much anything.
    Thanks
    Griffin
    More bears have almost certainly been killed with less than with more than a properly loaded 300 WSM. Using a proper bullet in the proper place will provide good results every time; the cartridge you use simply will not amount to much difference.

TSX, Partition, A-Frame or the like weighing 165-180 grains will produce a very dead bear.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

.30 cal anything will down a Brown Bear anyfrikkinwhere in the state of AK. If you can hit it correctly with whatever .30 cal you have, then by all means carry that baby and be confident.

If not, buy a Milsurp Finn M-39 Mosin Nagant, some milsurp Czeck ammo and blow yer own mind when that kills em just as dead ~~LOL!!!!!~~

Thanks guys,
    this was my thought pretty much. I was just making sure i wasn't way off. I hate to buy something bigger thats not as accurate or something i don't have the same amount of confidence in. I've used barns TSX's a fair amount in the past so i'll prob load up some 180gn loads and see how they shoot.

I have more than a couple 300WSM's and feed them 180 grain trophy bonded bearclaws. None of the bears or other animals shot with them have been able to complain afterward!
    Practice out to your long range limit, and even doing some stand-up no support shooting.
    You will do just fine.

Chris

This is an easy one get a CZ 550 in a 416 Rigby loaded with 400gr Barnes TSX.. Next question

Don't want to hijack the thread but since we are on the subject of brwon bears, I have a question regarding which scope to use on my brown bear hunt. I think this was addressed in a previous thread last year. I am thinking about using a 4X scope. I have several others I could throw on my rifle (3-9X, 4.5-14) but want something with a WIDE field of view just in case things get up close and personal. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And again, sorry for straying from the plot.

Load that 300WSM with some 180gr Winchester XP3's (or what ever your comfortable) and clear off a space for that brown bear rug.

As for the scope a 1.5-4x is what I would go with. You can decide on the make but the Leupold VXIII would be my choice.

Good luck,
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

I maybe way off on scopes but mine is topped with a 6.5X20X50mm. I plan on shooting this thing at over 200m and have a back up gun for thick stuff or wounded bears. this combo has works fine on black bears thus far

I maybe way off on scopes but mine is topped with a 6.5X20X50mm. I plan on shooting this thing at over 200m and have a back up gun for thick stuff or wounded bears. this combo has works fine on black bears thus far
    Shoot them far enough out there and it will be like hitting them with a 308 at a hundred and gives you a better chance to use the back-up gun
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread but since we are on the subject of brwon bears, I have a question regarding which scope to use on my brown bear hunt. I think this was addressed in a previous thread last year. I am thinking about using a 4X scope. I have several others I could throw on my rifle (3-9X, 4.5-14) but want something with a WIDE field of view just in case things get up close and personal. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And again, sorry for straying from the plot.
    Can't imagine a brown bear scenario where a 4X isn't near enough perfect.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Yessir. Two Browns I've killed died by the .30-06 and 150 grain Barnes TSX. Neither bear went more than 30 yards from original shot spot.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Shoot them far enough out there and it will be like hitting them with a 308 at a hundred and gives you a better chance to use the back-up gun
    actually the 300wsm 180gn barns tripple shock carries just as many ft/lbs of energy at 400yards as a 308 with a 165gn (biggest factory load in this bullet) does at 100 yards.
    on top of that the 300 has 3500-3000 ft/lbs of energy from 0 to 100 yards and thats a pass thru on a broadside bear. pass thru = wasted energy. Rifle bullets kill via hydrostatic shock causing distruction of vital organs and tissue and not thru penitration alone.
    the bear can have me if he can cover 200-300yards before i can put more holes in him then a peice of swiss cheese. this was more a question of ethics then anything

actually the 300wsm 180gn barns tripple shock carries just as many ft/lbs of energy at 400yards as a 308 with a 165gn (biggest factory load in this bullet) does at 100 yards.
    on top of that the 300 has 3500-3000 ft/lbs of energy from 0 to 100 yards and thats a pass thru on a broadside bear. pass thru = wasted energy. Rifle bullets kill via hydrostatic shock causing distruction of vital organs and tissue and not thru penitration alone.
    the bear can have me if he can cover 200-300yards before i can put more holes in him then a peice of swiss cheese. this was more a question of ethics then anything
    All the more reason not to shoot it at 400 yards I would think. No reason to poke bears at 400 yards. Seriously bear hunting is usually an up close and personal thing usually within 150 yards. Most of which are inside of 100 yards. Have a 6.5-20X50 hubble on a designated bear gun would not only be overkill but make it much more difficult to find in the scope if in a hurry at close distances. Granted I have only been in on 8 grizz (3 of which were killed with a .308) kills so my experience is somewhat limited there I admit, but something to think about. Who wants to carry two different guns on a bear hunt anyways??

I've never killed a Brown/Grizzly bear, but have had numerous encounters with them hunting and fishing. A couple of them seemed a little grouchy, and to be honest when faced with the prospect of having to take one down all of my rifles felt like pea shooters.

If I were hunting them I'd prefer my .338, but would feel fine about using a well-constructed .30 cal bullet

A good quality bullet and were you put it are probably more important than what caliber. Any of the 30 cals work well, but hey if you are going to the prom use the excuse and buy your self something nice and while you are at it might as well get some nice glass to put on top.
    That is the excuse I used to buy this Sako Kodiak in 375 H&H, going to Kodiak might as well hunt with one.

I'm no expert but will say that there is a HUGE difference in KILLING and STOPPING!!!!

Good luck,

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Tell you a story:

Hunting on the Yukon upriver of Russian Mission with a few VPSO's from the area. We were on an island that had a football shaped open area in the center. These two guys went off over to the right side and began walking along the edge. I was watching them through my 10x bino's. They'd stop and start and stop and stand in place for 10 minutes or so. Then begin moving only to begin this start/stop cycle. After a couple hours they turned around and went back to the river.

When I got back out to where they were these two cats were white as a sheet. And these guys have seen the elephant on many occasions; not guys to frighten easily. Turns out they'd spooked a bear off a gutpile and it kept charging them. They couldn't see anything as the grass was chest-high. What they could see was the grass parting like a bow-wave as the bear would charge, then stop maybe 15-20 feet away from them, chomping and slobbering and growling. Every time they moved the bear would go nuts.

I thought about that long and hard before purchasing my .500 A-Square. If I am only going to get one single shot off, and if it's going to be right off the end of my barrel, I want the biggest hammer I can afford. The .500 is what I could afford at that time.

Stranger is perfectly correct, but for that one time when you really need it, I like a big bullet.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    A good quality bullet and were you put it are probably more important than what caliber. Any of the 30 cals work well, but hey if you are going to the prom use the excuse and buy your self something nice and while you are at it might as well get some nice glass to put on top.
    That is the excuse I used to buy this Sako Kodiak in 375 H&H, going to Kodiak might as well hunt with one.
    Yeppers, heck I just applied for Kodiak bears and that was enough of excuse to buy a .375. Did I need it? Not really but heck now I get to share ammo with with Steve on Kodiak this year when he goes to hunt his bear tag and maybe burn some of his reloads on deer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast