Thread: jet intake rake - where can I get one?

Default jet intake rake - where can I get one?

I read that some places make a foldable rake that can be used to clear weeds, etc from the intake scree of an inboard jet, and that this is all you will need 90% of the time vs. a stomp grate.

Anyone know where to get one?

Or is the stomp grate the way to go for the extra $$$$$$$?

Thanks.

This is strictly MHO,, but a stomp grate is the way to go. You can modify a potato rake to do the task but consider this, being dead in the water and drifting without steerage while you hang over the back trying to clear your jet can be very dangerous. I have had a fouled jet in PWS and also got swamped trying the clear my intake. Dead drifting in river current can get ugly quick as well, get the stomp grate and don't look back.

EZ for me to spend your money,, but take a ride with someone that has a stomp grate and you decide.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Call Ben at Silver Streak in Anchorage.

If there are rocks jammed in the grate good luck getting them out with a rake...

Stomp grate no question ! Stid layed it out well.

When I bought a new to me 22' inboard last summer, the first improvement made was a stomp grate install. They are worth their weight in gold.

Where is a good place to do the install? It doesn't look too complicated so I might try to manage myself.

Last frontier fabrication behind six robbles can install them if you don't want to drag the boat to Anchorage and back. They are not that hard to install yourself. The hardest part is actually drilling holes in your boat for the "Stomp" part of the goodies. I installed one on a Northriver and it took maybe half a day, most of the time was spent convincing myself to drill the darn holes!

Forget the rake. They are hard to use, take lots of time and a lot of the time will not do the job. The stomp grate is the only way to go, both for ease of use and safety. When I installed mine it was about a 1 hour job.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I saw a product called EZ Clean grate. Any experience with this vs. stomp grate brand?

EZ Clean is a stomp grate, Jetcraft puts a sticker on their transoms that indicates an "EZ Clean" grate on their XS boats and perhaps others. There really is no "Stomp Grate" brand, it's kinda like "Kleenex"- all tissues get this name...
    Ketchum Manufacturing in Idaho makes a stomp-type grate for virtually every jet boat intake known to man. They run about a grand give or take. For the most part, everyones post is correct as to the viability of the stomp over the rake, especially in the rocks and gravel. Now lets get into weeds, or perhaps worse, leaves and other flotsam like roots. Last hunting season at the last minute I tossed in a short cultivator rake that kinda fit my jet (200 Opti) just to have it along. I had serious leaf issues along with the occasional weed or two but the rake saved me a huge problem. The stomp was completely worthless on impacted leaves wrapped around the leading edges of the stomp bars and stacked up coming forward from the rear of the intake. It just slowly choked off until I couldnt stay on step and had to break out the rake. If you're in a dangerous spot, park it before you start working on it when possible. The stomp would clear part of it but not all. All I have. Get a stomp grate, then build a rake to fit between the bars exactly so you have a backup plan. Most days the stomp will cure 95+ % of what ails your jet. That last 5% or so is for the guys that get into the nastiest of nasties or just those having a clogged up day!

ben at silver streak for a 212 jet. is $725 with all stainless hardware. sounds like a great deal and I will be buying one this week. I have had two small problems in the sound in two trips. going to get a stomp grate and some sort of rack to use (even from behind to boat, backed up to a beach.)to clear the jet

Stomp grate is the way to go but I have a rake if you need one, sold my jetboat.

Gary at Greatland welding also installs them dont know the cost
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association