Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have invested plenty of time and money into predator hunting over the past two seasons with the hope harvesting a couple of critters. Most of my time has been spent researching the "how to's" and scoping areas with high amount of coyote, fox, and wolf traffic. Well, I am still unsuccessful and still have to take a coyote or fox. But today had a very exciting outcome.

A buddy and I hit our local fur bearer hunting grounds more or less to get out and away from the house, but bagging an animal would make it all worth while, but wasn't nescessarily expected. There was a specific creek bed I wanted to hunt and I had our stand planned out in my head. On each side of the creek are large lakes with concentrated amounts of coyotes. My plan was to set up on a straight away that consisted of about 150-200 yards in each direction, then the creek bends around a corner both ways. We setup in a distanced back to back manner where one person was looking up the creek and the other was looking down creek, and the ecaller was sitting betweens us on the opposite side of the creek playing the dinner bell song.

I started with a woodpecked in distress call. On and off for the next 10 minutes I used that call, no takers. So, I switched to challenge barks just to spice things up, no takers. Then the good ole cottontail in distress call sparked some attraction. I here my buddy fire off a round, I turn around, and there is a coyote layer deader than snot 50 yards from where he was sitting. The coyote was heading toward my caller with a decent trot from 200 yards out, a shot finally presented itself at 50 yards. The 55 gr. vmax did it's job well but made a bigger hole than we had hoped. It was a male that we estimated to be 2 years old and 25lbs.

Eventhough I did not get to take that animal it was a blast someone, anyone, I fur hunt with became successful at taking a fur animal. I would guess I have well over 50 hunts without even taking a shot, and I know one day I will have my chance, but it was unexplainably exciting just to even be apart of anothers success. Also it was probably beneficial to me helping someone else skin THEIR coyote before I tackle my own.

Once I get the pictures I will post them.

Congratulations! You're inspiring me there. I was hoping to put in some time calling this year, but it just hasn't happened. Hopefully next winter I'll join your pursuit of success. Nice job!

-Brian

Default Well done

It's those fifty hunts of Nada that keep me on the ice during the winter, I always intend to call more but usually end up sittin around an icehole.

Congrats.

Nice job WG! I guess that e-caller does work! Too bad you didn't get to try out the 'ol Stevens on the dog yourself. Maybe next time.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The ecaller played a big role in my buddies ability to take this coyote. He was on a dead trot right towards the caller. His complete focus was on where the tasty noise was originating from and nothing else. This gave him enough leway to bring his rifle to his shoulder and rap the trigger. If I was using a hand call he probably would have noticed our presence. Man, I can't wait to get out next weekend. Maybe I should go by myself this time...

Congrats man, that is quite a trophy by Alaskan standards! My experience with those coyotes makes me think they are one of the most challenging things around.

I found lots of sign while snowmachining yestrerday, So much so that I think Ill try to make some stands. And your pic helped with that decision!

Talking

Right on Water_Gremlin, congrats on a long time coming . where was your buddys shot placement at ?? i hit a fox with a 32 grain v-max kind of head on (hit him in the chest but came out by the shoulder ) and had a small entrance but huge exit and he was only about 35 yards away. I think im going to have to try to catch them at about 100 + yards out and better shot placement to get better results with that bullet. they should be getting into the breading season now so the might be on the move a little more .. Man you got me excited now , As soon as I get back from Hawaii im going to hit those dogs up hard. Good luck on getting one yourself and keep us posted...

Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default info

What caliber?
    What bullet?
    What did it do to the pelt?
    Would like to know... It may just save me time in picking my own mix!
    Thanks!
    Great pics by the way and I'm envious!! Here I am, with season over, still remodeling!! Texuring today... thats a good sign!!

ciao....

reuben....

Rifle: AR 15
    Cal: .223
    55 gr. vmax
    27gr. 748 I believe

It looked like a tough shot, the animal was constantly moving and straffing slightly side to side according to the tracks, it was slightly quartered to the shooters left as well. The bullet hit in the neck and then disinigrated, we could only find a small chunk of the jacket. It left a bigger than expected hole in the next but nothing that can't be fixed.

Hoping to get one with my Stevens 200 .223 soon. Probably heading out again next weekend too.

Thumbs up

Thats awesome, I trapped and called coyotes in
    Georgia a complete hunting season a few years ago and only got 1 coyote. I got 18 bobcats but them **** coyotes are the smartest animal in the woods. Good job it's always nice to be there when a buddy gets his.

Congratulations! makes me wana get out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I know of a good tree stand that would be awesome for a bow hunter. I just don't know if I want to be the one scaling up to the platform, small saplings as foot holds and 1/2" OSB at the top makes me nervious.

Congrats "WG" Nice writes too.

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Rifle: AR 15
    Cal: .223
    55 gr. vmax
    27gr. 748 I believe

Wow! you used a terrorist rifle for something other than terrorizing! You can do that!...

Well it looks like my AR has a new purpose other than just getting dirty so I can clean it!!

reuben...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    The ecaller played a big role in my buddies ability to take this coyote.
    FoxPro? Wildlife Tech? Cabela's?

Which caller did you use?

Foxpro FX3. The maniska looks really cool but I stuck with the FX3, since i have heard NOTHING but good things when it comes to there warranty services.

Default old yote hunter

Back in the day when I was hunting dogs hard in the lower 48 and we wanted to keep the pelts we used full metal jackets. 9 times out of 10 the exit was the same size as the entrance. Might give it a try.

Default good job guys!

thats great you got one - its addicting! wish I could get out-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast