Thread: Dalton highway caribou august

Default Dalton highway caribou august

Hi guys i was thinking of driving up the dalton on the first week of august for a caribou bow hunt and have never done this before and was just wondering if anyone could give me a lil info on this and what there thought's are on the heard and if this is a bad time of year all help is vey much apperciated thanks again..

my buddy went up there near toolik lake and got a little bull he said the groups were smaller we both went in early oct same year they were in bigger groups but its a cold hunt and it took all my cunning to make the meat edible.
    Inever hunted the haul road in Aug but most people tell me that thats when you can get a prime freezer filler ......hope it helps best of luck
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

It is very dependent on the weather. I have been up there at the end of July and beginning of August and it was chilly and the caribou were plentiful near pump station 4. Most of the time that early it is too hot, the mosquitos keep the caribou up by the ocean and the hunting is poor. If you could postpone your trip to the last week of august instead of the first week, your chances would be better.

thanks for the info guys any lil bit helps i really apperciate it

Weather pending I'm going to be heading up the same time period. I want to do it before school starts this year. Any other info on the subject is great!

thanks

teach

Default Keep your plans!

Definitely head up there! Plan on spending a week or so, because when they come through it may be plentiful, then shut off for a couple/few day, then WHAMMO - they're all over the place again. If they are not running circles around your tent, then you may have to glass for them and plan long stalks to get in front of them. I would bring an inflatable raft if it was me, to cross the sag in case they are hanging on the East side (done that before and it proved awsome). You'll no doubt have a great time, bring plenty of arrows and plan on lots of stalks! Keep the camera handy and share the pix! Good luck!