Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lingcod opens in ONE WEEK!!!

Thumbs up Lingcod opens in ONE WEEK!!!

Who else is heading out to chase lings next weekend? I'm going out of Homer the 1st through the 4th with some buddies for our annual 4th of July lingcod expedition. I'm getting excited!

Picked up an Avet SX 6/4 from B&J over the winter to put on my Torque. Can't wait to hang a ling on it. Anyone else get some new gear or tackle this year with lings in mind?

Here's to good weather. Best of luck everybody. Stay safe!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I also picked up an Avet SX 6/4 from B&J this winter and have used it several times already this year, I have it on a Shimano Trevala and couldnt ask for a better setup. A few weeks ago i was in seward and hooked up on something small and all the sudden WHAM! after i get it to the boat I see its a decent size quilback that a 4' Ling was trying to eat. man was I wishing it was after july 1 oh well ill find him again.

We should be down on the southern end of Montague for the first week of July looking for a couple toothy critters ourselves.
    BK

Our season opener is looking like a shrimping/camping trip, but I'm sure I'll bring a few rods, and may convince the family to take a detour on the return trip to hit a few of my ling spots.

I went a little silly on new gear this year, trevala extra heavy with avet sx for my wife, trevala extra extra heavy with avet jx for me, and I picked up an okuma cedros jigging rod last year I didn't get a chance to try out, and put a new left handed sx on it for my son, as he broke his left arm so I figure the left handed reel would let him crank with his mending arm, and fight fish with his right arm. Oh, and a pair of shimano clarus rods with sx's for salmon, though I wouldn't be suprised if I found a ling on the end of them. They're all spooled with Daiwa pe-4, the line has a great feel to it and is super thin, should be plenty strong enough at 55# for the 14# drag on the sx's.

I also picked up a pile of chinese clone butterfly jigs off of e-bay in 300, 400 and 500gr ~$6/jig shipped, can't argue with that!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Going to Homer tonight for a 2 day fishing expedition. Going to go look for some Lings, and if we get into any good fishing come back after the season opens. Weather looks awesome right now.

Shimano Trevala XXHeavy.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

=Paul H;964985 They're all spooled with Daiwa pe-4, the line has a great feel to it and is super thin, should be plenty strong enough at 55# for the 14# drag on the sx's.
    I just had to say I love the Daiwa Saltiga line and rarely see it up here. Everyone is about Power Pro or whatever.

I have 30lb spooled on my silver rod. I got something like 315 yards on a spinning reel....lol.

Caught my first [small] do-it-yourself Ling last week in Seward.
    Can't wait to be able to keep one fot the BBQ.J-e 044.jpg

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Wyo2AK;964963]Picked up an Avet SX 6/4 from B&J over the winter to put on my Torque. Can't wait to hang a ling on it. Anyone else get some new gear or tackle this year with lings in mind?]

Did you check to see if your new reel would fit on your Torque rod? Reason I ask is because I have an Avet JX 6/3 that I wanted to put on a new Torque I was going to buy 2 years ago. Only problem was the feet on the Avet wouldn't fit into the seat on the rod - Fonz at B&J told me before I bought the rod. Sure enough the feet would only go into the seat less than 1/8 " when I tried it out. I ended up buying an Okuma Cedros Speed Jig rod. I always wondered if Penn ever made their seat openings larger and if the Avets were the only reels having this issue. I also run the Daiwa braid - love the small diameter when jigging in current.

I actually picked up my Ling on trolling gear when I got over some rocks near a shallower point around 90 feet of water. New Cabela's Depthmaster Gold [DMG 45] Linecounter mounted on a Depthmaster Tournament Innerflow rod.

I am going to try and ding a ling.
    Hope I can find some of my old rocks, as my #s did not save to my bluechart.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Did you check to see if your new reel would fit on your Torque rod? Reason I ask is because I have an Avet JX 6/3 that I wanted to put on a new Torque I was going to buy 2 years ago. Only problem was the feet on the Avet wouldn't fit into the seat on the rod - Fonz at B&J told me before I bought the rod. Sure enough the feet would only go into the seat less than 1/8 " when I tried it out. I ended up buying an Okuma Cedros Speed Jig rod. I always wondered if Penn ever made their seat openings larger and if the Avets were the only reels having this issue. I also run the Daiwa braid - love the small diameter when jigging in current.
    I was warned at B&J about the incompatibility of the Avet and the Torque when I went in to buy the reel. I've had the Torque a couple of years and love it, and wanted to replace a well-worn Penn 109 conventional reel. The SX 6/4 was what I wanted, so I took a file to the molded plastic of the reel seat on my Torque. I'm not sentimental about that sort of thing. It didn't take much to get the Avet to seat in well. With the Avet rod clamp screwed into the reel as well, it's rock solid. I jigged up halibut and rockfish over Memorial Day until I got bored of it and had no issues with the reel/rod interface.

I've got the reel spooled with 50 lb TUF-Line XP Indicator.

Fished around Perl and east chugach island on Saturday, caught one small ling. Man they are hard to find... Had no problem finding good Halibut though.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 06-27-2011 at 12:23. Reason: added stuff
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Ah - so that is what happened to some (not all though....??) of my waypoints when I put the bluechart in....

On the water tomorrow! Woohoo!!

Good luck whoever's going out this weekend.

Weather looks decent out of Homer, at least for Barrens... not so great for the inlet..... wyo post pics when you get back...........

MONTAGUE NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chomping at the bit.

Good luck boys! I think ling cod fishing is the best!

How far South out of Whittier do I need to go to look for Lings? Going out tomorrow for a day or two and wanted to give it a shot.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Try the pinnacles and underwater cliffs around Knight Island.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I will be headed out of Seward next week when I get home from work. I look forward to the ling fishing all winter cant wait to get after them. Good luck to all and lets see some pics.

I told a visiting relative about lings, so now I have to find a charter for one in Homer the week of July 17th.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast