Thread: Kicker advice

Default Kicker advice

I'm looking at adding a 4 stroke kicker toy 21' river runner. There are a few options on the table right now, one of which is a short shaft (it says 15" transom mount). How os this measured? Would you guys think it would work with my boat? Pics attached.

Ron

Just from the looks of it, you might get away with a short shaft, at least on the river. On the ocean, if there are swells, I think you will cavitate a lot
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

By looks of things in the pic, the bracket was mounted with a shortshaft in mind, it is mounted low, too low I think. With a kicker mounted at that level (notice where the swim step is in relation) any kind of swell agaisnt the stern has the potential to get inside the powerhead/cowl, also the tiller will be a stretch unless you employ an extention.

A longshaft OB in that application will get the powerhead further from the water and closer to transom height, as well as allowing for greater depth adjustment if needed.

There are a number reasons I prefer a longshaft vs. shortshaft not the least of which is the great potential for jokes.
    In other words having the longer shaft makes the outboard more versatile as it can often be used in a shortshaft application, with or without, adapting transom riser height.

The mount is adjustable in 2 inch incraments all the way up like it is in the picture at the top. Im thinking that the short shaft is going to be to short at this point. Even if I were to put the bracket all of the way down the tiller handle is going to have to be extended up to clear the transom.

The down side is noone has a used 4 stroke in the long shaft version for sale (I had to reword that one a couple of times)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I'm looking at adding a 4 stroke kicker toy 21' river runner. There are a few options on the table right now, one of which is a short shaft (it says 15" transom mount). How os this measured? Would you guys think it would work with my boat? Pics attached.

Ron
    The way to measure, is run a straight edge along bottem of boat, than measure the distance between it and the top of board that holds motor in the down postion you want the cavation plate to be at least even with bottem of boat if not about in, below it,So if you ran a long shaft20" you just wouldn,t dip in the water as far,But on full step you would have to tilt up postion so not dragging it along either,So in the up postion make sure can clear your hull, power head and the tiller handle to be able tilt it.I have always ran short shafts, even if i couldn,t get the plate below the bottem, kinda pushing backwater i would call it With that big of boat what ever motor you can hang on there weight wise is not going to step your boat, maybe walking speed upsteam,Not that big of deal because the hull will be sitting low in the water off step.

Ill probably only use the kicker in the salt. My intention is to get something that could get me back to the harbor if the big motor stopped working and maybe have something that can push me in the bays for trolling so Im not to worried about getting back upriver in the interior waters.

The staight edge idea is a good one that I hadnt thought about. Just eyeballing it though it would appear that I need an XL shaft to meet that expectation. I was hoping to not buy new but I dont have a lot of options at this point. Heck, I may just wait until I get down near Valdez and look around town...