Thread: The Sourdough Slipper

Default The Sourdough Slipper

I have Wiggy's Waders and have used them multiple times on several hunts, so I'm 100% familiar with their use. I've had generally good experiences with them, but multiple leaks are the rule each season. I've done repeated patching and sealing to keep them in play. I only use them to cross water, and never for an extended walk.

For a few years I've wondered about the Sourdough Slipper and the NEOS River Trekkers. I've seen them in pictures, but never had my hands on them. I'm looking for straight up info and impressions on these from the people who actually own and use them. Are they heavy? Good traction on underwater rocks? Easy on/off? Leak issues? Do they reach all the way to hip boot height? Negatives?

KD

I own both the Wiggy's waders and the Sourdough Slipper. I use the SS almost like normal hip boots on Kodiak bear hunts. A long time Kodiak guide (Karl Bradndel) uses them for him and his clients. I wouldn't use them if crossing deep sticky mud as they don't fit as tight as ankle fit hip boots. I really like the SS when crossing streams numerous times and then being able to remove them and wear my leather hiking boots to climb a mountain. Make sure you have a belt to attach the velcro strap to as the SS won't stay up like normal hip boots without it.

I own both the Wiggy's waders and Neos which are like the SS. Wiggy's improved their waders this year and made them tougher. The Neos weigh 5lbs and are very tough,, have walked several miles in them. They both have a place in my kit and it depends on the type hunting I'm doing as to which I take. The Wiggy's for backpacking and occasional use and the Neos for hunts were I can take more weight. I like them because I can wear my hiking boots and just use them when required.

The neos reach my crotch and I second the belt recommendation. I use gaiters to help hold the Wiggy's waders in place and help keep from walking on the cloth instead of the sole.

New style

Old style

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have and used both the Wiggy's Waders and the Neo Trekkers.

The Wiggy's I have only used once on last years sheep hunt my hunting partner and I shared a pair (just tossed them back across to the other guy) as we were trying to save weight. Kept our feet dry for the multiple 20-50 2' deep crossings. I was impressed enough to go and by myself a pair for my wife and I to share turns out they have an upgraded model. They are light and serve their purpose and plan on taking them on atleast one of my 3 sheep hunts this fall.

The Neos I have been using for 3 years now on various trips. Like Stid mentioned they are heavier (5 lbs) but have a real sole. In fact last moose season we down a moose at with 6 guys already crammed onto 3 6x6s (one guy always rides in the box standing up while the other drives ) I opt'd to hike the 10 miles from the moose back to camp instead of the ride the bumpy front rack ride backto camp. They worked just fine and my feet were dry, but tired after 10 miles of swamp walking. But I did make it back faster than the 6x6s as they were getting stuck a bunch in the swamps and winching and I just kept walking

Can't believe you guys would use such things!! You need to toughen up and just wade those creeks in shorts and tennis shoes until you get to where you can put your boots on!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Can't believe you guys would use such things!! You need to toughen up and just wade those creeks in shorts and tennis shoes until you get to where you can put your boots on!
    HAHA that is what I have been doing for a few years now when on backpack hunts. Then on my last sheep hunt Whitepalm busted out his fancy pants wiggy's waders and tossed them back across teh creek to me even though my feet were already soaked at this point....it was the thought that counted. When I know multiple deep stream crossings or swamp waling, or hiking my way up braided creek beds for miles on end I will still likely go the trail hiker shoe method with boots in the pack, but for trips that are only occasionally cross a creek or two and mostly higher alpine hiking then I'll just share a set of the wiggy's waders

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

never tried wiggy's but love the SS...used them a lot last year on a moose hunt and was very impressed...easy on and off and quick...weight is a little more, (friend used wiggy's)...bit overall was very happy with them...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    HAHA that is what I have been doing for a few years now when on backpack hunts. Then on my last sheep hunt Whitepalm busted out his fancy pants wiggy's waders and tossed them back across teh creek to me even though my feet were already soaked at this point....it was the thought that counted. When I know multiple deep stream crossings or swamp waling, or hiking my way up braided creek beds for miles on end I will still likely go the trail hiker shoe method with boots in the pack, but for trips that are only occasionally cross a creek or two and mostly higher alpine hiking then I'll just share a set of the wiggy's waders
    Just giving you all a hard time!

HAHA I know it man. I am turning more sissified all the time though compared to the crap I used in high school.......

I keep thinking about the weight thing. I would be using these (SS) exclusively for moose and caribou, BUT...I always use a Super Cub to get me in. That means pretty stringent weight restrictions. With WW about a pound, going up 4 more pounds is something I can't ignore. I'd have to see real and positive benefits from the SS if I have to eliminate 4 pounds of other nice gear. All else being equal, I think I'd love the soles on the SS...which just happens to be where my WW develop leaks 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    HAHA I know it man. I am turning more sissified all the time though compared to the crap I used in high school.......
    I hear you, the older I get the worse it becomes! Used to go hunting with basically nothing, now I can't even start walking without my pillow!