Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof Changes????

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Kasilof Changes????

Anybody:

I'm curious to know if there will be any changes at Kasilof this year, as compared to last year.

Like charges for Parking, Camping etc. OR, no camping? Other restrictions?

Thank You, for what you're willing to tell.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You have to stay off the dunes. That's about it at this point, though more will be coming down the road. When they start the talk of building parking lots and permanent outhouse facilities, you will get a nice "user fee" to go along with it. The other thing that goes along with site improvements is that more people will show up to use the "new" stuff. It sounds like there won't be any real changes this year beyond the dunes restrictions... which really were needed.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'm heading there this evening to fish south beach. Will post anything significant from my phone. Though this website sucks on mobile devices.

Remember, you can't drive on the dunes but you still can throw up a tent there. The fence was to mitigate vehicle traffic, not foot traffic
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks for the info.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Changes to south beach that I saw last weekend:

1. The RV camping gravel pit area on the left (south) at the end of the road going to the beach is now blocked and marked private property. There is a small area on the right (north) side.

2. There is guard rail all along the dune areas. However the sand "road" that was just above the beach area is open and useable. The guard rail is between the "road" and the dunes and parallels that all the way to the end. There are signs on the guard rail stating no vehicles beyond this point. I did not see anyone violate this.

Other wise every thing is the same. I had no trouble accessing. The sand seems a bit looser this year and I saw several 4x4's get stuck on the beach.

I've not gotten stuck in the sand yet, but have come close. I've wondered if having chains on all 4 wheels would do any good to help keep you from getting stuck. Would probably not put them on until stuck. I've heard that lowering your air pressure in your tires helps. When you say stuck on the beach, do you mean below the tide line?

No above the tide line. In the area most people park and camp near the main dipping spots. Lowering tire pressure does help. Always bring a shovel with you. I don't know about chains. Never seen it done. Interesting idea.

Anyone got photos of the new and improved Kasilof?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Bilder, I was too busy sweating my butt off working on putting up that guardrail to take pictures. Wish I had now, don't you know. Somebody else going down there soon, please take pictures and then post!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

My wife and I are watching the numbers closely here the next couple of days. If they stay low, we will wait until the 15th to go down. If they pick up a good bit, we plan on going down for the 4th weekend on a meat run. Either way, I will take pictures of the fencing and the fun, it is just a matter of when.

AK Chappy

Nice rail. And made from used materials. Very thrifty.

Mmmm, steel railing... can anyone say "magnetic geocaches"?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Is the guardrail blocking the area just before the beach access? I am talking about the area just before where the outhouses are usually placed. People have parked their campers there in the past and I have access to a trailer this year and thought it would be nice to stay right next to the beach rather than camp several miles away and have to make the haul back and forth with each tide.

If that area is blocked I will not even attempt to haul the camper down there.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

The section at the end of the road where it terminates at the beach on the south side is that gravel pit area where people USED to park RV's is now gated and marked private property. There is a small clearing on the north side that held 4-5 RV's. I saw several parked and crammed along side the road too. As if they expected to get into the gravel pit. I think during the week you could find a place to park the trailer. I wouldn't bother dragging it down there on a weekend.

Well, now. That sounds like a HUGE CHANGE, if there's no place to camp, or PARK. Or if there is very little space, there won't be any left, with the crowds, I've seen.

I'm used to footin it, carrying an ice chest and the nets, etc. There is no way I'm gonna drive down to the beach with my camper. I'd get stuck before I made it for sure.

People have gotten used to having a place to park and camp. I wonder why the powers that be can't make a deal with the private property owners.

I know there is a LOT of opposition to the dipnetting down there from many of the Locals, and Local Voters who influence the Local Government.

I guess, they are finally making some progress. And, all in the name of "Saving the Dunes". Yeah, Right.

I'm starting to get bitter.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Slow down Smitty...

1- Kasilof has NO local government. It's a rural community along the highway. Anything "official" comes from the Borough or State, not the locals.

2- Hoards of inconsiderate folks flocking down from Anchortown and trespassing, littering, and deficating on folk's private property is exactly what has made the property owners put up fences and signs to keep ya'll out. Consider driving down in a Toyota with a tent, cooler, and net rather than trying to park a full sized RV at the end of a beach access road that never has been able to handle such vehicles. A little common sense is required.

3- The state owns a huge tract of land around the south beach access road. It's all gated off to the public under the guise of being part of the ludacris mental health land scam. You want a place to park, there's plenty of undevelped, public-owned land for it. Get all your buddies together to petition the state to open up a couple acres of the hundreds they have locked up. Then they could charge appropriate user fees to maintain it, just like they do with every other state park without causing problems with the locals.

4- It's much more than "saving the dunes". But the fact remains that the dunes were being destroyed by human, primarily motorized activity during the month of July. The amount of trash left on that beach was amazing. How flippin' hard is it to pack out what you pack in?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Yeah sure like anything when a bunch of people start to crowd an area. We all remember when south beach was used by only a few. This last opener on Friday at midnight, I counted 50 nets in the water and that's just what I could see. Still its laid back and friendly though. We should keep it that way.

Smitty, I know you're looking for free but as JOAT says user fees are inevitable unless participation drops significantly. And hey, what happens when we ask "the powers that be" to help? They take your money and never do what you really want.

Hey Smitty, We are trying to work with DNR to do a land swap with the Mental lands trust. There is approximately 201 acres of Mental lands trust that could be traded right before the south beach access point.Certain members of KRSA and SCADA are talking to some players that might be able to make that happen. This is all in the name of access. It doesn't look like dipping is going away soon so we need to make it the most easiest and as clean as we can. 201 acres is a lot of campground, don't you think?
    The fence is a good thing. Don't blame habitat protection for less access. PM me and I'll give you people to call to help move this along. We need voices if we are going to get any movement on this. The state does move pretty slowly but it does move.

Default What can one person do to help.... today?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    There is approximately 201 acres of Mental lands trust that could be traded right before the south beach access point.Certain members of KRSA and SCADA are talking to some players that might be able to make that happen. This is all in the name of access.
    I'd suggest that non members of KRSA and SCADA consider joining, today. That is one way that you can help this situation whose thread you're reading right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast