View Poll Results: Did you take last year's dipnet catch to the dump?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - We consumed it all through the winter

79 43.41%
  • No - Anything left was canned/smoked or otherwise preserved

75 41.21%
  • Yes - I took the rest of last year's dipnet catch to the dump

4 2.20%
  • I don't dipnet

24 13.19%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much of last year's salmon did you take to the dump?

Wink How much of last year's salmon did you take to the dump?

Since we are constantly being accused of taking all of our 25+10 dipnetted salmon to the dump every spring, I'd like to see some honest polling. It's anonymous, so please answer truthfully. How many of you hauled the rest of last year's dipnet catch to the dump to make room for this year's catch?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I don't go to necessarily get my limit. I go to get what we need. Early in the summer I try to get as many as I can on the Copper, and then supplement that from other fisheries throughout the summer as needed to fill the freezers and smoke a couple of batches. We've yet to have much surplus by the end of the winter, and depending on the year we have run out completely well ahead of fishing season.

Even if we had a lot leftover, I wouldn't take it to the dump to make room. There are lots of things you can do with it that isn't a total waste. I've never even heard of someone doing that.

Default me neither

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Even if we had a lot leftover, I wouldn't take it to the dump to make room. There are lots of things you can do with it that isn't a total waste. I've never even heard of someone doing that.
    I haven't either, though I've heard the accusations, once even hurled at me for my having the gall to post on this forum that this exact time of the year I go to my freezers to look at whatever Sams club deals my wife has gotten over the past year and we've not wanted to eat and I take it to St. Francis Shelter in Anchorage. They're very happy to get good unspoiled food to give to the hungry.

This time of year, and just before fall hunts, are the only times of the year that I care about excess in my freezers. Maybe that's dumb, but that's the way it is. Those standing in the long soup lines at St. Francis appreciate it this time of year; I know that.

If indeed anyone is actually taking it to the dump, don't, please. We have hungry people among us. But like I started out saying, I know of no one that takes salmon to the dump.

And anyone who votes "yes" is most likely an anti-dipnetter who is lying their pants off. As if anyone would throw away salmon... the best food on the planet. :P
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

In April or May I smoke what's left to clear freezer space.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    In April or May I smoke what's left to clear freezer space.
    I do the same.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I was allotted 65 fish but only took 42. I'm completely out except for a couple of jars of plain which will be patties in a couple of days. Glad the season is coming back around!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

You left out the other option on the Poll...sooooo, I chose the "No" and "We" choice, as it was nearer the truth.

I shared mine (whispering....please don't tattle on me)!!!
    But I don't have any left and I did not throw any in the dump.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yep, I took my last 8 fillets and smoked all but 1 of them nearly 2 months ago. So, we're out of salmon at the moment, but we replenished the freezer with a whole bunch of halibut last month, so it's not like we're outta fish!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have never tossed sport or personal use fish from the freezer. A few years I have taken our family limit of 65 salmon on the kenai, and as that was pretty much all of our wild caught protein, we consumed all of it.

We no longer fish for limits, it's nice to have some variety, and honestly processing that much fish in a timely manner is very difficult.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have been dipping on the Copper for 6 years and this will be my second year on the Keani.
    Last year I got my 30 reds at Chitina and 50 @ Kenai. When I got my 40 processed from the Copper this year I had one fillet left from last year, and 2 jars of canned sockeye from the Kenai. I would never take fish to the dump. If I have a piece that gets a bit of freezer burn my dogs are happy to help me not waste the resource. My guess is that most of the dipnetters are responsible with their harvest, if not may someone please poop in their breakfast!

We usually just sport fish for salmon but with 4 fisher-people in the family we can put away a chunk of salmon each year. Heck we have put up 5 kings so far and have consumed 3 so far. With reds and silvers still to go we will have plenty of fish without the need to put in the massive among of work processing 60+ fish at a single sitting! If Fish Creek opens we may dip it but we would have a blast using a hook and and at 6 fish x 4 people a weekend of sport fishing can bring in plenty.

My friends Brother did this about 3-4 years ago. He was using an old chest freezer and it conked out on him in late winter or early spring while it was in his garage. His brother said most never even got filleted he had just frozen them whole.
    I would guess this was 30+ fish or more.
    I asked him if any were still frozen and he said only a few on the top had thawed but he was scared about it for some reason and threw them all away.
    You also have to look at all the fish the anchorage zoo gets every spring. they ask for fish and get more than they can store in their freezers in just a few days. This fish freezer burnt or not has to come from somewhere.
    I will admit I have a couple of times found a fillet or two buried in the bottom of the chest freezer that was a few years old and got tossed. It hasn't happened to me in several years and like I said it wasn't but a couple of fillets but it happened.
    I also know there are some peninsula dog mushers who have collected old fish in the past. These fish don't go to the dump but are still not used for their intended purpose.
    I don't intend to say it is a rampant problem but it does occur probably more than your poll will show as I believe the majority of people here are honestly using all they harvest. The kind of people who take fish to the dump usually don't bragg on the internet about it.
    Since I didn't even dip myself last year their are none of my dipnet fish available to be tossed this year not that I would anyway. My fiancee has a few fish left in our freezer but they are well packaged and still good so no reason to toss them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Back when I was mushing more seriously, I got asked by multiple people every spring/summer if I wanted their leftovoer freezer burnt fish. Most of the time it was poorly packaged to begin with and was far from inedible. I tried not to judge people, but it's hard not to take mental notes about who is fishing for limits regardless of what they will consume...

Nowadays, I rarely accept people's freezer cleanings. Too much hassle and I dont have space to keep it frozen until I can feed it...

The fish we want to keep the longest are vacuum packed, then placed in a ziplock bag and frozen in water. No air gets to the meat. Water is outside of the vacuum-packed bag, so it doesn't break down the meat, either. If the freezer fails, the blocks of ice around each package of fish protects it as well.

Bottom line: at least two years outstanding condition with this method. If your last year's fish is no good at the end of the winter, and for some reason you can't go fishing the next season, that's a problem. I'd suggest a one-year buffer.

Case in point. I am out-of-state at the moment and may not make it back to fish the Kenai or make a return trip to the Copper for the second surge. If I don't have top-quality fish left over from the previous summer, my family will be suffering next winter.

~tr

The only time I have done this was about 6 years ago when the freezer failed while I was working up north in the middle of the summer. Everything was ruined when I got home. Fish, burger, ice cream, frozen veggies...all of it.

I have found that getting my limit dipnetting means that we have to eat about one filet per week. We have a few BBQs during the year and that uses up what we don't. Right now I think we have about 3 filets left from last year. Perfect timing.

We eat everything we catch. We usually run out just in time for the next summers fishing. Last year I even started to smoke the bones to pick off every last bit of meat. Turned out really good and I plan on smoking the carcasses again this year.

If you throw away fish from last year, you should not keep as many as you do.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The beeger question is how much of A FISH you waste, and leave behind before you leave the water.

My guess, is that on average, 1/2 to 3/4 of each fish is left behind. (wasted)

There oughta be a LAW requiring people to take everything home except the head and guts. Maybe then, they would get the message and respect the resource.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The beeger question is how much of A FISH you waste, and leave behind before you leave the water.

My guess, is that on average, 1/2 to 3/4 of each fish is left behind. (wasted)

There oughta be a LAW requiring people to take everything home except the head and guts. Maybe then, they would get the message and respect the resource.

Smitty of the North
    I try whenever possible to return the head and guts and some of the filleted out carcasses as I keep some to smoke and poach some to make patties, back to the river instead of throwing them in the trash. This returns the nutrients back to the river. I keep the row and use a few heads for bait.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    There oughta be a LAW requiring people to take everything home except the head and guts...
    Whatcha got against the head and guts? The heads that I don't save for halibut bait and the other inedible parts end up in the outdoor wood furnace adding to the aroma of the neighborhood and the potash in the garden.

~tr

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast