Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two thumbs WAY UP!!!

Default Two thumbs WAY UP!!!

If you are a mountain hunter you got check this stuff out...

I've been reviewing and following Sitka Gear's rise in the hunting clothes market... http://www.sitkagear.com/

Just got a first hand look at Sitka Gear's line of clothing.

Man if you are looking for high quality mountaineering/hunting gear then you've got to take a look at this stuff.

The Mountain Pant and the 90% jacket are very impressive.

Taylor over at Wiggy's has a whole line of their stuff...

You gotta see it.

been eyeing it myself, dang if it ain't spendy though..geez for those prices it'd better last for 10 years.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink

Yeah, and their advertising is great, what a picture! A bowhunter standing alone on a ridge dressed head to toe in their camo his recurve bow in hand! Sign me up! That is some dangerous AD. LOL Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Talking

o.k. great advertising. where can i get the sitka pants for $100?

Default Heading in the right direction

Their stuff is OK and heading in the right direction. My guide was testing some of their goods on my hunt and I'll stick with the proven mountain/backpacking gear for now. All they really offer over traditional stuff their camo and I'd rather have the real deal without camo than camo in lesser materials and design. They may be on to something, but I'd rather see the greenie companies start to offer thier goods in camo or natural colors than have companies like Sitka try to reinvent the wheel. Competition is always good for the consumer though and this may put some pressure on the traditional companies.

Alpine

Default At the risk of being teased

Ya know if you get a sewing machine and practice alittle you can make the same thing for alot less cash. I make most of my hunting clothes and Gunthers stuff for tons less than they cost at the store. And I have exactly the features and fit I want.

Default sitka gear

Hey Rick... No teas'n here... I tried... I'm think'n for a guy like me it would take more than just "a little" practice...

All kidding aside you are right though. If a guy has the time and the patience he can make some dang good stuff...

I started wearing Microtex but soon found they bind up too much... Before dumping them I experiemented with all sorts of alterations. The only one that I really liked was the 20" leg zipper. I could unzip the pant leg and roll it high enough to wade anything below mid thigh...

Hey Alpine... What kind of "proven mountain/backpacking" pant do you use? I tried 3sp's but can't stand the way they fit... Though they strecth well they are too tight... And no - it's not because I bought them too small. I tried several pair and have decided my physic is just not made for that type of pant. I blame genetics...

I've also used a couple different Mt. Hardware pants. The closest I came was pant called the fastpack. However, they are too light if the weather is even cool.

And most importantly... I'd rather die then give one red nickle to a "greenie" company... What the heck are you saying? I'm kidding...

Cold Zero... Taylor's taking orders right now... I put my order in today.

Brwnbr... It's only money.... You can't take it with ya. Besides what's your wife gonna have to yell at ya for if you don't spend it... Seriously this stuff sure seemed well built... Spendy? ya.....

I'm gonna give the 90% jacket and the Mt. Pant a try...

winmag, do you have a link to taylor's web site?

how much are the mtn. pants?

thanks

Wow several hours and still no harassment thanks guys. The wife was here when I made my origonal post. She shook her head "Yer dead meat now" and with that she kissed me goodbye and headed off to work.

Thumbs up

The pants are awesome, two of us wore them on our sheep hunt in Sept.and never wore anything else except for a long shower.Stuff drys fast and are boot cut.They stretch and are tough.
    I had a few stitching come loose on the side, they expressed a new pair and a fancy belt said they were really sorry.I'm gonna buy the mnt. shirt,but dont need that style jacket,they also are coming out with the ASAT camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Wow several hours and still no harassment thanks guys. The wife was here when I made my origonal post. She shook her head "Yer dead meat now" and with that she kissed me goodbye and headed off to work.
    No problem here with your sewing your outdoor gear. In today's world if a guy can cook or even sew more power to them. I can't sew a button on correctly but I consider myself a pretty good cook.

Just checked out the prices on thouse items glad I sew!!!!

Sorry to come across as a gear snob. I'm glad that someone is offering softshell-like stuff in camo and anyone having camo as a top priority should check Sitka out. I have North Face Apex softshell pants and like them. Mammut Champ Pants are another softshell pant that seem good and I'm sure I'll try some Sitka stuff in the future.
    Alpine

I like it! I don't need the base layers though, I use patagonia, I am going to get the Insulation layers as well as the outer layers, I will get the cap, I always do, however I use an underarmour cold gear hunting beanie in camo, I'll get the wife to get these for me, after all being in Iraq for six months, I should be entitled right? ...gettin' ready for that goat hunt!!!

I think a "Two Thumbs Up...Way Up" rating on gear should at least be reserved for something that has been field tested.

Post field tested sept/oct. 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    I think a "Two Thumbs Up...Way Up" rating on gear should at least be reserved for something that has been field tested.
    jimmie;

i was with one of the guys who did field test the sitka jacket in chugach state park while sheep hunting for 20 days in the field sept and into oct of 2006. he felt it was good stuff. we experienced a wide variety of conditions and temp swings due to the length of time we were out there.

there are many other good options to choose from for high tech mtn. clothes.
    hope that helps.

Default Tru'nuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    It has been.. and will continue to be...

I've looked for several years for a pant (Mt. Pant) like this.... I'm excited... And based on what I've seen, I've no reason not to be. The other elements Sitka Gear offers such as the jacket... Well I'm optomistic...

Rick P,

I'll save you, my turn

I took a class back in Jr High that was cooking and also had some sewing (Home Ec, all the girls took the class ). I made a shirt that ended up having a neck that would fall over your shoulder. I gave it to my Mom and she wore it that one afternoon and no idea what she did with it after that.

Doug

i made brownies, no not big lake "brownies", in home ec and locked the oven, it was a self cleaner, those brownies were shot...i'm ok in the kitchen now and stil have my mom alter most of my hunting great so i get it right, leg ties and bullet loops in the brest pocket of all my hunting shirts, that way, i've always got the extra ammo no matter what coat or shirt i grab, saves alot of haslte. i'm suprised all this hunting gear comging out dont' have bullet loops in them. must just be the duck hunters gear guys were that smart.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink

alpine;

i don't know about gear snob...but you are a gear conosuer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast