Thread: Cooper Creek Campground, Kenai River

Default Cooper Creek Campground, Kenai River

Had a few days off next week so the wife and I heading down towards the Russian. I was not able to get last minute campground reservations at the Russian, but we were able to get a spot two miles north at the Cooper Creek Campground. I have never been to that one, and was wondering how the fishing was there. The website says there is fishing for Reds there in Cooper Creek. Does anyone know how accurate this is? Or am I better off driving two miles down the road each day to the russian. If I can avoid the crowds, I would be happy.

I would head to the Russian/Kenai confluence or below.

Stayed there last weekend, didn't see a single fish in the creek. Not sure about the mouth of it though.

FIsh On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mod12 View Post
    Had a few days off next week so the wife and I heading down towards the Russian. I was not able to get last minute campground reservations at the Russian, but we were able to get a spot two miles north at the Cooper Creek Campground. I have never been to that one, and was wondering how the fishing was there. The website says there is fishing for Reds there in Cooper Creek. Does anyone know how accurate this is? Or am I better off driving two miles down the road each day to the russian. If I can avoid the crowds, I would be happy.
    the second run of reds goes up there. The first run as far I as I know heads right for the russian.

last weekend i was walking all over that earth dam on the north side of cooper lake. i don't see how reds (or any fish) can make it into cooper lake to spawn. where does cooper creek even start?

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    last weekend i was walking all over that earth dam on the north side of cooper lake. i don't see how reds (or any fish) can make it into cooper lake to spawn. where does cooper creek even start?
    Reds do not go up Cooper creek. I believe what kenaibow meant to say was that reds go that far up the Kenai river, they do, all the way into Kenai lake and then up tributaries beyond. Since the dam which formed Cooper lake was built the creek became too cold to support the salmon and trout which formerly inhabited it, the water empties into the creek from the bottom of the lake.

There has been an attempt or two to remove the dam or redirect the outlet from the surface water in order to raise the temps to a hospitable level, but all have failed thus far. The creek once boasted salmon returns and fantastic rainbow fishing according to articles I have read in the past.

As for fishing for reds at the outlet, the water is not very conducive to the activity as it shallow and swift, the opposite side of the Kenai is slower and deeper (where Juneau creek enters) and is favored by the salmon as the path upstream.

Get up early and go to the Russian to pursue reds it is the best chance at success, bear sightings and circus entertainment.

well I didn't think any thing went up there, but your right I was more or less saying that if you are going to fish there you have to wait until the second run of reds.