Thread: Cool spots.....

Default Cool spots.....

Im not trying to get anyone to tell me where their favorite double secret fishing is.....BUT.....Im trying to find a place to go camping this weekend with the wife and dogs, and maybe stand a chance of catching a king or two... I cant really be to far from ANC, maybe a hours flight or so. Still kind of on call to work, but I really need to get away.
    NEEDED....One medium size gravel bar for cessna 170b with 180hp and 26 goodyears were there are NO people.
    Any of the rivers on the other side of the inlet have good fishin and a decent gravel bar or two? Taking both mutts so bears will not should not hope not better not be a issue (and of course the .454 for me and the .44 for her!)
    Thanks!

Most of the west side streams are closed. I guess that means fishing would be good and there wouldn't be any people around, though. The McArther would be a good bet. You won't be alone but you could have fun. Or just find a spot to camp. Spend some quality time with your wife. Sometimes fishing gets in the way.

Thanks Mr Pid, in the 2 years we have owned the plane I have never flown it that way. Always been north or northwest through Rainy Pass going to McGrath and Takotna. I just may have to check out the McArther, looks about right given my "still might be on call" status! And, I am way way way more interested in getting out of town with the wife and dogs than I am about them dang fish....
    Greg

I was over toward the mcarther yesterday. Fished for a couple of hours and didn't see a single fish roll or on the line. Lots of people on the sand bars too.

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    Im not trying to get anyone to tell me where their favorite double secret fishing is.....BUT.....Im trying to find a place to go camping this weekend with the wife and dogs, and maybe stand a chance of catching a king or two... I cant really be to far from ANC, maybe a hours flight or so. Still kind of on call to work, but I really need to get away.
    NEEDED....One medium size gravel bar for cessna 170b with 180hp and 26 goodyears were there are NO people.
    Any of the rivers on the other side of the inlet have good fishin and a decent gravel bar or two? Taking both mutts so bears will not should not hope not better not be a issue (and of course the .454 for me and the .44 for her!)
    Thanks!
    I 'spose you're aware of dogs' tendency to bark at, and then to chase, bears? When the bear finally tires of that action, they often turn and chase the dogs. It's not unusual for the dogs to hustle back to their owners . . . . . Good fishing!

The McArthur is getting hit pretty hard this last couple of years. There are several guides working it this year too. The sand is soft and you have about 550-600' usable before getting into the drifts. There are some Reds, the Kings have been very thin but a couple have been coming through here and there. My guess is this system will join the ranks of the Theodore and others in the next year or so which is a real shame. It is a great place to camp though and the bears have been as thin as the Kings. Be careful though, the third plane this year was helicoptered out Friday. 31's didn't help him much.