Thread: Rifle Magazine Capacity For Big Game

Default Rifle Magazine Capacity For Big Game

Do I need to buy a smaller mag for my rifle. I want to bring along my .308 Ar-10 this year goat hunting. I usually only put 5-10 rounds in it anyways, but I cant find any info about laws. I was told down at Rabbit Creek that the mag capacity was 5 according to state law for big game. Is this true? If so where can I find it? Thank you

PS This is my last year hunting alaska before I have to move away for a while. Yep I might have to put down the bow and pick up the rifle LOL!

Sigle shot huner myself but always understood 5 rounds to be the legal limit. I'd call fish and game to be on the safe side. Personally I carry my regs book with me at all times in the truck so I can double check my info before I head out. It's too bad you almost have to take a lawyer with ya evertime you hunt or fish. I've even gotten different interpitations on the same regs from diferent law enforcement people. Watched a state trooper and a DNR cop argue for 20 minutes about where the confluance of deception creek was one time.

I have never seen anything in the regs on mag capacity. I know alot of folks who hunt with mini 14s, ARs, etc, with 20 and 30 round clips. I have never known anyone, or known of anyone, getting cited for mag capacity.
    Sounds like another urban legand!
    Obviously, I'm not including the fed requirement for a shotgun plug when hunting waterfowl.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There is no limit on the number of rounds you can carry in a clip or magazine while hunting in Alaska with the exception of hunting waterfowl with a shotgun.
    Tennessee

Default Thanks Guys

I appreciate the help. I have only fired my rifle 2 times in this state at big game...once for my sheep and once for my bear. I dont plan on carry more than 5 rounds in my magazine anyways, but I wanted to make sure its capacity wasnt illegal. I was going to call fish and game when they are in tommorow but it sounds like the question is answered. thanks again. Scott

Default 5 limit has to be false

The 5 round limit has to be false.

How could you use an 1894 .30-30 then? (7)

It was the "go-to" rifle back in the late 1800's and early 1900's before the birth of the .375 H&H.

Some Marlin 1895's in .45-70 hold 10.

Read an article by Phil Shoemaker (Rifle magazine july 2005) about his using a loaner (built by Lon Paul) all season of a CZ 550 in .458 lott that held six.

jedi
    Last edited by null20071; 03-11-2007 at 04:39.

Thumbs up hmmmm

good points thanks!

I can't find anything in the AK regs about it.

Here in Arizona the legal limit is 5. www.azgfd.gov, hunting regs, article R12-4-303 Section A number 4 describes unlawful weapons and reads... "Semiautomatic centerfile rifles with a magazine capacity of more than five cartridges , unless the magazine is modified with a filler or stop that cannot be removed without disassembling the magazine."

I have always assumed this was similar to other states.... maybe not?

The way the older lever guns got around that law is they are not "semiautomatic", as described in the law.

Default Alaska is different

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    I can't find anything in the AK regs about it.

Here in Arizona the legal limit is 5. www.azgfd.gov, hunting regs, article R12-4-303 Section A number 4 describes unlawful weapons and reads... "Semiautomatic centerfile rifles with a magazine capacity of more than five cartridges , unless the magazine is modified with a filler or stop that cannot be removed without disassembling the magazine."

I have always assumed this was similar to other states.... maybe not?
    Alaska has different laws than the lesser 48.

They give people more rights and leeway for self restriction.

I know in most states it is illegal to hunt big game like deer and such with anything less than a 6mm/.243 bore.

On this forum there are people who use .223 rifles with .224 bores.

AK. is a whole different game.

jedi