Thread: Anyone hunted near the Kavik river in mid-August?

Default Anyone hunted near the Kavik river in mid-August?

I have been planning a hunt for me, my brother and my father and have decided on flying into Kavik river camp and hunt out of that area. I am planning the trip around my dad, making sure he is up to what ever I get him into. He is almost 70 and although in good shape he is almost 70. I figured we would land there and hike out a few miles and set up base camp. My question is has anyone ever been up there in mid-August to tell me what to expect for the caribou hunting. We are looking for a good hunt and if we get into the caribou that is icing on the cake, but everyone wants icing!!! If any of you guys have been up in that area and have any bits of advice let me know. I would appreciate it.

Hello,
    I will be caribou hunting in that area and the Canning River drainage in mid-August too, weather permitting. As a contingency plan we also will have a 16 foot john boat with an outboard jet if the weather is to lousy to fly. This will be my first time hunting the North Slope so I wish you good luck. I plan of landing at the Kavik River Camp for gas, so say hello if you spot my plane.

James
    DSCF0075.jpg

Sarah Palin hunted out of Kavik. Likely you will need to fly out of Kavik to get to bou. Or walk a long ways.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I was in Kavik for a couple days before heading out on a sheep hunt in mid august last year, I saw alot of caribou on the flight in and out but none within 10 miles of Kavik. Not saying there's no caribou in the area, but you'll prob have better luck using a pilot out of happy valley. I've been up there the past 5 years in a row and always do well taking a short flight off the road. Some of the people I spoke to in Kavik said the caribou do move through there from time to time, but for the amount of walking you'll have to do if there not there, then you'd might as well walk the five miles off the haul road and save some money unless your planning on taking an additional flight when you get there like marten trapper said.

Bearhunter, who do you use out of happy valley. I had a tough time finding a pilot that made that run and who I could afford. I figured kavik put us in gun territory and we would have to keep our fingers crossed on the rest. I was hoping to find a pilot that had reasonable rates to take us a few miles into the rifle area and put us close enough to the herd, but everything was several thousand for a flight and a pick up. I would pay good money to get off the road but it is hard to convince someone that is flying up from the lower 48 on a budget. If you know a pilot that is reasonable let me know.

You can rent a four wheeler at Kavik river to help you get around.
    Jeff

Smoak' ngun, There are a bunch of good pilots up there. But Mikes air taxi is probably the most affordable up there. Bushwhacker air has a point too, you can rent a four wheeler and that would be another route to take. Just keep in mind that a rental a and a flight to Kavik may end up costing just as much, not to mention if you accidentally damage the four wheeler you could be looking at some repair costs. Good luck out on your hunt.

Also I forgot to mention, Although I favor other areas for caribou Kavik is a truly unique place and there are several good people up there.