Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: river boat rentals?

Default river boat rentals?

going dipnetting with the family in mid july for a couple days, dipped from a boat and it was much nicer than standing on shore, plus the kids could come along for the day. Is there anywhere between the valley and soldotna that rents kenai legal boats?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

bear boat rentals in anchorage, he is off muldoon, and there is a place in soldotna called kenai charlies??????? I think that is what it is called but Charlie rents kenai legal boats too.

Does the boat have to be Kenai legal, if you stay downstream of the bridge? I thought anything went, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Does the boat have to be Kenai legal, if you stay downstream of the bridge? I thought anything went, there.
    The length and horsepower requirements don't apply downstream of the bridge, but it has to be a four stroke or DFI 2 stroke. Older style 2 stroke outboards are no longer allowed to be used for dipnetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The length and horsepower requirements don't apply downstream of the bridge, but it has to be a four stroke or DFI 2 stroke. Older style 2 stroke outboards are no longer allowed to be used for dipnetting.
    Is this true?????? I was under the impression that you can use older 2 strokes just not in july until 2013?????? Then it is 4 stroke only unless you have a DFI 2 stroke. So if you have a DFI 2 stroke, can you run a 50 or does it have to be a 35?

Not sure if this will clear things up or muddy the waters, but here's some info I found:

On January 31, 2008, Lt. Governor Parnell filed the regulations dealing with dealing with boat and motor restrictions in the Kenai River Special Management Area (KRSMA). The new regulations will be effective on March 1, 2008. The new regulations will be published in Register 185, April 2008.

In compliance with AS 44.62.175(a)(7) and (b), the following information is provided:

The new regulations will permit the use of 50 horsepower motors, as long as any motor that is larger than 35 horsepower is a four-stroke or Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) two-stroke motor. Additionally, all motors used within the Kenai River Special Management Area during the month of July must also be either four-stroke or DFI two-stroke motors. Boat size will also be limited to no more than 21 feet long or 106 inches wide, except that persons who provide proof of ownership that the boat was owned by that person prior to Feb. 1, 2008 may apply for a permit to use the larger boat until Jan. 1, 2010. After that date, all boats used in the KRSMA except on Skilak or Kenai Lakes must meet the size limits specified in this new regulation

Bear Boat Rentals is pretty reasonable, really. I may rent one and take it to Valdez at the end of the summer.....thanks for the tip on these guys. I'd never heard of them.

If there is a more confusing river in Alaska . . . .

Taken from page 6 of the Southcentral fishing regs:
    "Horsepower restrictions -- no one may operate a boat on the Kenai River upstream of a DNR marker located (at approximately river mile 4.0) downstream of the Warren Ames bridge with an outboard or combination of outboards having a total proshaft rating greater than 35 HP, unless the motor is a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection motor. Outboards with a total propshaft rating greater than 35 HP must be a four stroke motor or a direct fuel injection motor. Adding a jet drive to any motor does not change its equivalent propshaft HP rating. The maximum propshaft rating of outboards must not exceed 50 HP. In Kenai and Skilak lakes outboards having a total propshaft rating greater than 35 HP must be a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection motor."

"Four-Storke / Direct Fuel Injection Motor Requirements -- during the month of July, including Kenai and Skilak lake, no one may operate a motorized boat on the Kenai River upstream of a DNR marker located (at approximately river marker 4.0) downstream of the Warren Ames bridge unless the motor is a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection motor"

Though I have not fished it with such, my take is that upstream of the DNR marker (river mile 4) you are restricted (moreso in July), but downstream of river mile 4 (DNR marker), there are no restrictions.

Did I read it wrong?

-- Gambler

maybe I am reading some thing wrong then because the bottom part of that to me reads if it isn't DFI or a $ stroke you can't run it?????? Which I know isn't true you can just not in july. I give up. I have a 4 stroke so I am not even going to waste my time on this one........better luck to the rest of you!

From page 18 of the regulation summary booklet:

Open area for boats: from ADF&G markers near the Kenai City Dock upstream to the downstream edge of the Warren Ames Bridge. Fish MAY NOT be taken from a boat powered by a two-stroke motor, other than direct fuel injection (DFI).
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...usefinfish.pdf

From the F&G web site on personal use fishing:

Two-Stroke Motors Prohibited in the Kenai River Personal Use Dipnet FisheryOnly boats powered by four-stroke, two-stroke direct fuel injection (DFI), or electric motors are allowed in the personal use dip net fishery.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...naiSalmon.main

There is also a map that shows the area open without horsepower restrictions and the area that has a 50 hp maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    maybe I am reading some thing wrong then because the bottom part of that to me reads if it isn't DFI or a $ stroke you can't run it?????? Which I know isn't true you can just not in july. I give up. I have a 4 stroke so I am not even going to waste my time on this one........better luck to the rest of you!
    If you are running anything greater than a 35hp, it must be 4 stroke or DFI, regardless of what time of the year it is. You can operate a 2 stroke, 35 hp or less, every month, EXCEPT July. This is a DNR regulation that applies from River mile 4 up to Kenai Lake.

Starting in January 2013, 4 stroke/DFI motors will be required year-round.

The dip net fishery is a F&G regulation and requires 4 stroke/DFI motors.

called bear boats, haven't heard back from them yet....anyone else know of boat rentals that are, apparently "kenai legal" for july dipnetting below the bridge...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    If you are running anything greater than a 35hp, it must be 4 stroke or DFI, regardless of what time of the year it is. You can operate a 2 stroke, 35 hp or less, every month, EXCEPT July. This is a DNR regulation that applies from River mile 4 up to Kenai Lake.

Starting in January 2013, 4 stroke/DFI motors will be required year-round

The dip net fishery is a F&G regulation and requires 4 stroke/DFI motors.
    ok thanks for clearing that up!

bear boats if rented out for that weekend...any other ideas?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Is this true?????? I was under the impression that you can use older 2 strokes just not in july until 2013??????
    Any confirmation on the July 2013 date? I thought the 4stroke only regs went in Jan. 2013? I'll run 2 stroke as long as I can and figured next summer would be my last on Skilak, at least for awhile.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Any confirmation on the July 2013 date? I thought the 4stroke only regs went in Jan. 2013? I'll run 2 stroke as long as I can and figured next summer would be my last on Skilak, at least for awhile.

Tim
    Sorry I guess they way I wrote that is missleading, I should have said you can use 2 strokes on the kenai if they are not DFI until 2013 in Jan. like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    bear boats if rented out for that weekend...any other ideas?
    I could not find anyone else, and I spent some time searching.

Call Ken's tackle in Soldotna and ask him about renting boats there, or Charlie.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Hey kenaibow fan,
    Do you have a contact # for "Charlie's Boat Rental" ? I have never heard of this outfit in the 7 years I've lived here.Or how about a specific location ?
    Now that I've sold my Klamath I'd be real interested.Thanks bud....

Sorry, Not Charlie it is Cho at River Bend.......... 283-9489.
    And if they don't rent boats any more for whatever the reason call Ken at Ken's tackle and he should be able to tell you who does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast