Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any one hunt bear with dogs

Default any one hunt bear with dogs

just wondering cause i don't see much hounds up here. i know cause everytime i bring mine to town she's the talk of everywhere we go. and people always thinks she's a beagle when she's a blue tick. any ways if any one does wanna let me know the rules and regs or maybe go out and run some bear thanks james

Quote Originally Posted by stank View Post
    just wondering cause i don't see much hounds up here. i know cause everytime i bring mine to town she's the talk of everywhere we go. and people always thinks she's a beagle when she's a blue tick. any ways if any one does wanna let me know the rules and regs or maybe go out and run some bear thanks james
    I learn something new every day. I didn't think it was legal, but I looked it up and found it was for black bear if you have the proper permit and follow some specific guidelines in the process. I haven't heard of anyone else using dogs for bear, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I learn something new every day. I didn't think it was legal, but I looked it up and found it was for black bear if you have the proper permit and follow some specific guidelines in the process. I haven't heard of anyone else using dogs for bear, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    thats because there are big brown things that will eat hounds up here. it sounds fun & all but here??? good luck if you guys do go out & post some pics

James I Have 2 bluedogs and the permit for units 14A,B and 16. Only problem I have is constantly being TDY.

In oregon we used to, but back there we had loggin roads, up here if the bear doesn't tree your screwed. Thats what put me and my dad off on it. I used to run alotta moose back before I read that it was illeagle (I was just a boy! lol) got some cool pictures that way
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I also have a permit for 16,14a,b I am always looking for someone to go with if any of you are interested I usually catch 6-12 every spring depending on how much I hunt. Most of the bear here tree fairly easy I am runing walker black and tan crosses. I dint realize there was anyone else in the area with permits. Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ak hound man View Post
    I also have a permit for 16,14a,b I am always looking for someone to go with if any of you are interested I usually catch 6-12 every spring depending on how much I hunt. Most of the bear here tree fairly easy I am runing walker black and tan crosses. I dint realize there was anyone else in the area with permits. Ryan
    I'd definately like to get up with you in the spring. Figure I'll just take some leave this year as work just keeps getting in the way.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I saw a couple of redbones in the back of a pickup in wasilla last week. My brother in law is a houndsman in the lower 48 but I've never even gone on a coon hunt with him.

Do you guys ever have problems with your dogs going for brown bears. hunting bears with dogs has been something that I have always been interested in but did not know people did it up here.

Used to run hounds up here in the 70's and 80's Blacks treed much easier than the bear in California, Oregon or Washington, but the interior Grizzlies were a problem more than once started a black and ended up baying a grizzly. The tricky part was getting the dogs to quit the grizzlies, (Mostly they stayed hooked for at least 24 hours) The Carney's in Wasilla used to run some then also. "Cougar Bill" an Oregon transplant had some hounds in Sutton during that time. Another problem encountered with hounds broke off deer & Elk in the lower 48 would run and bay a moose which took some attitude adjustment for the hounds. In the 60's and 70's I ran cat, bear,hogs, and coon in the lower 48. and one old dog was nominated for the Key Underwood Coon Dog cemetery, but was buried on top of Baldy instead. Lots of bear up here for hounds but grizzlies and lack of roads are the two biggest drawbacks for hounds in Alaska. I miss the chase but there is still a lot of excitement to be found in this great State ~Mist~

I hunted bear in Idaho with an Uncle in the 80's, I was young and in good shape, I thought keeping up with my old Uncle would be easy. I swear that old guy could run up a cliff and not break a sweat. He is almost 80 now and still chasing dogs.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I still have my Star Mountain Plotts up& running.

Trying to get a permit from Game & fish to run Black bear in Fairbanks area this year if possible.

Lots of Black Bear around my house.

Should be fun.

RJ Simington

so how hard is it to get the permit or find someone that is will to let someone tag along.

I used to take people along all the time, No money involved either.

I just love watching my dogs work.

I have to talk to the biologist in town to see if they will allow me to hunt em with hounds.

I love to take pictures & let em go, I have Lots & lots of bear photos.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    so how hard is it to get the permit or find someone that is will to let someone tag along.
    All it takes is a letter from the area Bio. Catching him in the office can be a little hard. it specifies what areas you can hunt in and the # of dogs you can use.

Ya, I had an apointment with the biologist once already. I showed but OOOPS he forgot & was in the field that day.LOL

In the canyon behind our home there are all kinds of roads & trails so it should be a blast , plus its close to home for the dogs in case one falls out of the race.

Im in north pole and am also looking to get into hunting blackies with hounds. I've talked with the biologist and he told me to stop by in april if I was interested in getting a permit. Though im working on getting some dogs currently. So we shall see how it plays out as far as if ill have some dogs by spring or not.

So I got another question if I was going to get some dogs for bear hunting how many do you guys run would two be enough or you guys run like six. been looking in to the bear hunting with dogs, never done it but looks like a lot of fun.

A buddy of mine has 6 walker hounds. He also has the state permit. He lives on the Kenai Peninsula but with all the brown bears, he doesn't run em' down here. They'll also run lynx and just about every other animal if not trained to 'zero' in on the black bear.

Most of the Bear that I have caught were by one or two dogs.

The rest were just along for the run, although any of my older dogs could catch bear by them selves.

Lots of dogs ,means LOTS of Dog food, Lots of money in dog tracking equipment, & LOTS of money in Vet bills if you have agressive bear dogs like mine.

We have a running bill of over $1500. a year & sometimes that in one race, by geting tagged by the bear.

A God set of dogs is all worth it though.

We raise ours from pups & train with the older dogs.

If I can figure out how to put photos on this stupid computer I will share a bunch of photos of my dogs & bear.

Maybe one of you guys could PM me or better yet email me & tell me how to do that it would be great.

One word of caution if you are buying started dogs, Go try them out with the owner first to find out if they are actually what they say, & not just TRASH runners.

This will save you a LOT of headache & hollering for dogs that are chaseing moose or something even worse.

& one last thing, WOLVES love to eat hound dogs, so get GOOD tracking equipment & get to them as fast as you can when they bay up or tree.

Good luck
    RJ Simington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast