Thread: Hiking over Kesugi from Chulitna to Indian River

Default Hiking over Kesugi from Chulitna to Indian River

I'm planning on floating the chulitna this august from the east fork to Talkeetna and wanted to plan on hiking away from the river for 2 or three days. Looking at a topo map, it looks like we could hike to kesugi ridge and then from their, go over indian or kesugi mountain and drop down into the indian/susitna river valley. I'm trying to find out if this is feasible, what obstacles we may encounter and if anyone has tried this. is there any type of route once we veer off of the ridge trail?

DSC01788.jpg
    Last weekend I went up on Kesugi Ridge for a scouting mission for almost the same thing, and made a side trip towards the Indian River and found a couple things; expect lots of alders, swamps and bears. While the route seams like it would be a great one, I think ther are better ones in the area, but I would be one of the first volunteers if state parks allowed a trail to be put in there

I've been up on Indian and Kesugi many times. I have looked down towards the Indian R. alot and have always wanted to bomb down there, but never have. The previous ranger, Dave Johnston, once told me that the best way to go down there is to get in one of the little creeks from the North end of Indian and follow it down to avoid the brush/alders. He had apparently done it lots of times and it was no big deal.

Then again, he would run from the parking lot, up little coal creek trail, summit of Indian to summit of Kesugi, and back to the parking lot in like an hour or so, in flimsy running shoes....so no big deal to him would likely be a bit harder for mere mortals....

thanks for the responses. I haven't spent much time in that area and in fact I don't live up there anymore, so intel from "feet on the ground' is very helpful. How long of a hike would you expect from the chulitna to the indian, if we attempted it? Also, what type of hiking could we expect on the other side of the chulitna (alaska range side) near the east/middle chulitna confluence?