Thread: Need ideas for 3-4' wire leaders on sink tips...

Default Need ideas for 3-4' wire leaders on sink tips...

Thought some of you pike fisherman could help me out. Going fishing in some coastal swamps here in NC. Kayaking in, 10' wide cypress tree stumps, beer, and alligators. Fly fishing for bowfin and longnose gar. The gar get to 30-40 lbs. Bowfin average 5-10 lbs. I need wire leaders as the gar (swamp muskies) have teeth. Similar to pike, but even more dinosaurish looking. Can't use Rio toothy critter 7.5' leaders as I will be fishing 14' sink tips into solid black ten foot holes where the fish escape our 100 degree days. I need 3-4' of steel leader on my sink tips. Any ideas on products or rigging?

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I don't see the need for 3-4' when I get by fine with 1' shock tippets for cuda and shark. In any case, if you want it that long I'd dispense entirely with mono in the leader and use of the "knot-able" wires. You'll defeat the purpose of the sink tip if you get any longer than 4', especially if a quick sink is needed. I don't know who makes the soft braid now, but I got a bunch from Fenwick many years ago. It's a very soft braid you can knot just like mono.

I just checked the Fly Shop in Redding and they have THIS PRODUCT. Looks to be much the same stuff, but coated.

Sounds like a fun kinda fishing. Keep us posted.

Thanks man. Looks interesting. I will call and see what lb test they sell. Never heard of a steel leader you could tie regular knots with. I had envisioned breaking out my bimini twist tool from my king mackerel and shark fishing days as a youth. Oh the days I wasted on the end of a fishing pier. Ha ha.. As for this upcoming trip, I will post some pics upon our return. Should be an interesting trip. Hoping to hook up with a 5' gar on my 8 wt.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan, get some 40 lb Fluorocarbon leader material and go fishing. After fighting wire for a few seasons I switched over and have not been bit off yet and have caught pike over 40 inches. Was born and raised on the canals in Florida and have caught hundreds of Gar and Bowfin (Mudfish) and never used wire then either.

Have fun

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sweet pics Steve!

40 lb flouro would certainly be easier to rig.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, that "knot-able" wire is pure magic.

If you really want to simplify your "terminal" life, or at least the shock tippet side of it, with either mono or the knot-able wire, ash-can the Albright knots and use back-to-back nail knots instead, even with the double from a Bimini. Tie the nails "tool-less" like you do a uni-knot and it takes about as long as tying two clinch knots rather than one. And it's a whole lot more secure and durable than Albrights. I still use an Albright on the rare occasion I use rigid wire for leaders, but I can count on one hand the times I've done that in the last couple of decades.

I haven't fished for gar, but have watched them feed. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could get by with no wire. I didn't see a one suck baitfish down their throat, grabbing them in their long jaws first instead. If that's happening, I can't see the leader getting near a tooth, in contrast to cuda and shark which put tooth on leader most of the time.

This is the stuff I've use for pike and have really been impressed with it. Looks pretty similar to the knottable stuff that BrownBear posted.
    http://www.americanfishingwire.com/smsupreme.asp

And I second his advise on using back to back nail knots/uni knots.

Sounds like Steve has some good first-hand advice, so maybe your fine without wire altogether. Nice fish Steve!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

That looks zackly like it was the original source for the stuff from Fenwick! Thanks for the link, because I am starting to run low.

BTW- The best knot I've found for attaching the fly to this type of wire or heavy mono shock tippets is the Homer Rhode Loop Knot. It's on page 66 of the first Kreh and Sosin knot book or you can watch a video HERE. It's only a 50-60% knot, but you don't really care on shock tippets or wire.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Dan, get some 40 lb Fluorocarbon leader material and go fishing. After fighting wire for a few seasons I switched over and have not been bit off yet and have caught pike over 40 inches. Was born and raised on the canals in Florida and have caught hundreds of Gar and Bowfin (Mudfish) and never used wire then either.

Have fun

Steve
    +1 on the 40# Flouro.
    This 45" snot rocket was caught on my 9wt with hand tied 20# leader and 18" 40# flouro bite tippet last month (tied using a double UNI knot).

You can up it to 60 or 80 pound if you're targeting them 100# Gar if you need to.

Dayum. Nice fish Dave. Found some 30 lb Rio shock flouro on 30 yd spools. Also found some 20 lb coated steel wire you can tie knots with. Thanks for the input fellas. The knots suggested are appreciated as well.