Thread: Color of clothing for woods bumming???

Question Color of clothing for woods bumming???

Generally, if I am hiking I wear Earth tone colors, which I normally wear anyway. Hunting is blaze in safety situations or a mix if camo and Earth tones in others. I have heard both that insects are attracted to dark colors and also that they are attracted to bright colors. I wore a bright blue shirt today at a park and had plenty of mosquitos and deer flies circling and attacking. Not sure if normal Earth tones would have helped though as they come after me then too. Older school woods wear was red flannel/wood and such work well to keep some one from taking a shot at you thinking you are a deer, but turkeys have red heads...So, also, in bear country wouldyou wear camo to hide from them or bright colors to let them know you are there and to steer clear? Thoughts? Thanks!

Bugs up here eat any colors just ask the critters. I still love my wool but its to hot for summer.Normal wear for me is jeans/charharts and what ever shirt is next in line.Skin so soft is my bug dope of choice
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The green spray can Avon stuff works really well too, but only if it is with you at the time oops...as I tend to find out too late...love the wool too but they are now in the plastic tote with cedar chips for summer storage. Bugs are why I like cold weather better but gotta take the seasons as they come.

I have never tried it, but I have heard that if you smear Agent Orange all over your cloths, both animals and bugs will leave you alone and tree branches with leaves/brush/tall grass will be much easier to see through. Seriously though, white Tyvek painting suits are my clothing of choice for outdoor hiking/hunting.

Agent orange don't work for bugs but it is good for haveing birth defects in your children and many illnesses as you get older.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I usualy wear a red or dark raddy long sleeve shirt over a dark short sleve shirt
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

and I only have 2 pairs of pants, both greenish colored carharts. with old sneakers. I tried boots, but I am quieter in sneakers....sucks when your up to your knee, breaking through ice in a swamp though....makes ya tough.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I could smear DDT all over but would ruin my clothes......oops....anyway....lol

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    So, also, in bear country wouldyou wear camo to hide from them or bright colors to let them know you are there and to steer clear?
    They're reportedly color blind.

Never given this much thought, however, I due tend to wear earth tones as they are colors of choice anyhow. I have camo hunting clothes as well mainly due to the fact that the performance in that clothing is more conducive to the pursuit vs. clothing of other colors.

Never noticed any "preference" from bugs concerning colors for I am a bug magnet whatever color I wear, and I do not believe bears are that discerning either.

All this does make think that perhaps being naked may be the answer; not wearing anything might render the bugs and the bears senseless once they catch sight of me.