Thread: NUSHAGAK... add one more to the list of the fallen.....

Default NUSHAGAK... add one more to the list of the fallen.....

Just rolling into what should be the peak week.... OUCH.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1498&year=2011
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks for info. If they close it I hope they do it before I fly out on the 29th! Don't mind the daily limit reduction from 2 to 1 since I'm C&R anyway. Last year the chums picked up the slack for the low king counts so the action was still good until EO ended it.

Sniff....snifff....do I smell the Kenai next?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    Sniff....snifff....do I smell the Kenai next?
    C&R below 55"?

Wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Definitely a year where EVERY hen counts.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

So are they restricting the Commercial Fishers too, or just letting the commercials go hawg wild in the ocean and take it all out on the sport fishers?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
    So are they restricting the Commercial Fishers too, or just letting the commercials go hawg wild in the ocean and take it all out on the sport fishers?
    In the years I commercial fished the Nushagak district (drift gillnet), we did not pick up many Chinook, 2-3 perhaps in a 24hour opener. The restrictions on mesh size are specificaly for the purpose of reducing incidental catch of non-targeted species, basicaly chinook salmon. The primary data utilized to determine commercial openers in that district, as I understood it at the time, was sockeye escapement up the Wood river.

Just was told by someone out there the king fishing right now and since yesterday is the best they have seen in years. Guess the fish have arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    C&R below 55"?

Should have done it on both Peninsula streams some time ago ... too late and now we've now gone through the Kasilof PU gillnet fishery and now starting early on the comm fishery with the early spurt of reds. Wonder what sort of data the state is looking at for Kasilof? No creel checks at all this year and the weir count is always too late since it is located far up Crooked Creek and fish never pass until around 4th of July onward in any appreciable numbers anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    C&R below 55"?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...1KenaiKing.pdf
    The KeenEye MD

Big pushes last Thursday, and then again on Monday (7000+ each). I was heading down Yesterday after getting nearly blown off the river on Sunday, and everybody was hooked up and fish were rolling. Couldn't resist so I and the wife plunked down k-16's and trolled downstream with the tide making water nearly still, and got four hooks ups in 15 minutes before pulling up and headin home.

Commercial nets hit the water this past Saturday, hard to say what else is coming up but closure is unlikely with what has made it in thus far...... 338 wm is right, management of the fleet is in relation to sockeye numbers in both the Wood and Nushagak Rivers. They held off a few tides after when they could have started to let more kings upriver, and it was those fish that hit the sonar counter yesterday.

Current regulation is two per year, one fish per day (20 inches plus) regulations for jacks (less than 20 in.) stays the same.

7 days and counting...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I fished the Nush last week. Upon arriving in Dillingham I had to fillet 15 kings from a friends subsistance set net. 3 of those fish pushed 30 lbs. A lot of the locals caught a lot of kings last wed in their nets. I fished on Wed afternoon above portage creek and the 3 off us landed 23 kings in 4 hours. Had 3 of them go 30# and the rest all below 20lbs, next day we caught 16 kings and they were ALL jacks. Sat we drifted out down to tidal water and landed 1 jack. It is not worth the flight out there, we didnt keep any but I dont think it will ever be the same as it was 8-10 years ago. A lof of the guides are not running this year and there were very few boats on the river.

Default nush is hot

Quote Originally Posted by ValcoBayrunner View Post
    I fished the Nush last week. Upon arriving in Dillingham I had to fillet 15 kings from a friends subsistance set net. 3 of those fish pushed 30 lbs. A lot of the locals caught a lot of kings last wed in their nets. I fished on Wed afternoon above portage creek and the 3 off us landed 23 kings in 4 hours. Had 3 of them go 30# and the rest all below 20lbs, next day we caught 16 kings and they were ALL jacks. Sat we drifted out down to tidal water and landed 1 jack. It is not worth the flight out there, we didnt keep any but I dont think it will ever be the same as it was 8-10 years ago. A lof of the guides are not running this year and there were very few boats on the river.
    You must of missed the push that you say the guy's in Dillingham filled their nets or some bad bait,fishing here has been some of the best,100-150 hook ups reported--myface and check swanny's report,no boats and lots of fish.not just saying for the buss for we will be shutting down after the weekend,just want to state whats happening in front of my house.Chris