Thread: Feasibility of Eagle river packrafting?

Default Feasibility of Eagle river packrafting?

Hey all,

I'm planning a July hike of crow pass from Girdwood to the Eagle River nature center. I was wondering if it is possible to pack raft the eagle river/creek to speed up the 2nd day of our hike. I've never packrafted before, but I heard that the river down the valley isn't too bad. Is this a good idea or a bad one?

Default Eagle River

If this matters to you. We hiked 3 or so miles up Crow Creek Pass trail,from the Eagle River town side a couple of times, to boat the class IV section of Eagle River, in the vicinity of Echo Bend. IF YOU HAVE NEVER PACKRAFTED THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT. I'm not sure how easy the river is above this place, but I do believe it's not more than class II
    Mark

Yeah definitely don't want to go through much more than some riffles

I've done that, many times. The things that you will encounter most is sweepers and strainers. For the most part it is class II to echo bend, but lot depends upon water levels and channels. Personally, I wouldn't have this river be my first experiance with a packraft, I would pick something easier to learn the basics of packrafting or take a class, ie Alaska Kayak Academy.

Alaska Kayak Academy has a pretty good beginners course. Covers the basics of paddling a pack raft I would recommend taking it you have never paddled. When I took the course it was on the lower section of Eagle River. http://kayakcenterak.com/classes/packraft-class/

I agree with what others have said. Here is a video of the Echo Bend stretch one of my Facebook friends posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPZN...layer_embedded

what is the feasibility of portaging the stretch of heavy water, and how long is it?

The big water is downriver from Echo Bend. What a lot of folks do is just take out at Echo Bend and walk the 3 miles back to the Nature Center via the regular trail. That would be my game plan.

Why not float to Briggs Bridge (The Eagle River Loop Bridge) and pull out there? Wont have to hike to the Nature Center and pick up is right there. I have floated Eagle River down stream from the Nature Center to the bridge before. Lots of strainers/sweepers in the way. Class I/II all the way. Relaxing float.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Put in at where you would normally cross the river. This float is a Class 2. Float down to Echo bend then walk the 3 miles back to the Nature Center. I would do a few other small floats prior to floating this, but this isn't a terribe idea and is a great hike/float trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    I agree with what others have said. Here is a video of the Echo Bend stretch one of my Facebook friends posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPZN...layer_embedded
    GREAT Video! Just put the WANT on me big time!

The opposite option is to travel light and do the hike as a day trip.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.