Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do not use boat 600 out of Kosilof for fishing

Default do not use boat 600 out of Kosilof for fishing

Ok Friday I bought a fishing trip off groupons 06-17-11 that was advertising AHO fishing and before buying I called and asked the lady on the phone where they were fishing and what were they bringing in. I was told that they fish from Kenai River and they are catching kings and reds and that they will have both rods on the boat. (NOT!!) I had a guide and we fished from Kasilof on a drift boat.

So this guide boat 600 made us wait for 2 other folks who said they were lost, which was not the case, so I waited for 1 hour to go fishing, then when they got there, we got on the boat and sat under the bride for 40 minutes while the guide un tangled his lines from earlier. Boring to look at the fishing weir watching everyone else go down the river. Then we slowly went to a rock sat there for 40 more minutes so he can eat his sandwich. Then to another location for a potty break. So back to floating down the river. Next rock and sitting. To see that the young adults on the boat didn't even have a king stamp and were fishing kings! (and not even locals too)Go figure the guide don't know crap! And didn't look. Go figure there was reds in the river but no red fishing for us! And on top of this we can not even keep any fish because Sunday u can only keep hatchery fish. Oh did I tell you the guide keep the bait on my line from the morning so it was old bait on my line...... go figure I had to tell him to change out my bait. So going from the AHO with that price is not a good deal and was a bad experience. So if Could go fishing I should have called someone more reliable for next time.

Oh yeah no fish can come out of the water when there wild. Yeah guide way to go loved that picture! It was a small fish the folks caught but at least it was a Kodak moment for them to catch a king with no King Tags! Priceless!!

wow.............

I notice you also posted this over at AOJ, sure seems out of character for ANY guide, i'm curious to see what others think?

I saw a similiar event several years ago on the Kasilof. I don't remember the number of the boat though.
    We watched the guy take 30 minutes to untangle his rods and set up while we watched with our lines in the water fishing from my own personal driftboat.
    After setting up 2 rods he grabbed the 3rd one and it was ready to go. We couldn't figure why he didn't give one of his three clients the ready rod so at least they had one line in the water. plus he had already bi passed 2 fishing holes before even starting to rig his rods. we could see the old gentlemen in his boat keep looking back to see what was taking him so long.

Of course in Your guides defense you did buy from Groupon a company with a somewhat shady reputation. You bought the cheapest seat you could find and expected the same service as if you had paid full price for a reputable guide.
    It is obvious you got what you paid for. A king fishing trip in Alaska on a famous king salmon river. Maybe not the Kenai but it is the secdond most famous river on the Peninsula.
    Although I don't need/use guides for my fishing if I did I sure wouldn't expect much from a Groupon buy.
    Thats why we see dozens of threads on here about witch guide service to use. Most people do their research first so their special trip is a memorable one.
    You researched who was cheapest and got what you paid for.Sorry but thats the truth.
    Also if they said they fish the Kenai and you expected that you should have never gotten on the boat and should have demanded a refund. I doubt you would have gotten it but that was your choice to go anyway.
    Did you think that maybe the Kasilof has been producing better than the Kenai due to water conditions or run strength? Sometimes guides switch to whatever river has been a beter producer for their other boats.
    btw were the youg adults under 16? If so no king stamp or license is needed just a harvest card.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The kids were in the 20's like the same ages as kids in their 20's. Oh well if I could list the name of the company I would just feel sorry that they sold so many and I would hope other don't have the same experience. Groupns do offer good services its just they got a bad comapny who took advantage of the groupons services and locals should not have to deal with this.
    just my experience this go around! I know who to stay away from now.

Interesting report AKSandee. Bummer to hear they shorted you big time.
    Did you turn in the illegal fisherman or at least report the guide and Company to the BBB so something can be done to prevent this operation from screwing over more fisherman? It's thoughful of you to post here and warn others.

Chris, just cause the trip is discounted does not mean the guide/company can take advantage of his clients. I'm sure the coupon was good for a day of FISHING, not SITTING IN A BOAT watching him untangle lines and eat a sandwich. Come on, he booked a king trip on the Kenai to catch Kings. I understand he even called the guide service to ask questions before committing to spending $ with them. How can you possibly stick up for the guide and defend his crappy service?

Hope your next trip is better, or at least the service is anyhow.
    Tight lines,
    BK

I've used Groupon and have been quite happy with my experiences, but I don't think I would ever use it for a fishing charter. I don't blame those who do - the deals are great - but if you do the math, it just doesn't work for a charter to provide quality experiences for the money they're getting off of a Groupon. If the regular rate is $200 and the Groupon deal is $100, the charter service itself is actually only getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $65. With the cost of gear, fuel (on trips that require it), employees, etc. it's a losing proposition. It makes sense to initially drum up business and a clientele list, but with the Groupon model they end up selling hundreds of charters, thus they put themselves in a position to lose money all summer long. It's different with a restaurant or a store where Groupon customers make up a small percentage of their overall business. For a charter, it doesn't seem like it would pencil out for the business, thus in the end it's not going to work out for the customers either.

FYI. just a quick google check of that (presumed) service / name shows they have a couple prior convictions for similar issues.

Brian,
    Groupon does put a limit on the amount of coupons they sell for some services/products. For example, there was a fly-in service doing tours of Denali for 1/2 off. They had a select amount to offer and sold out in a few mins yesterday.
    BK

I am not saying they should take advantage of him or give really crappy service. But I am sure you will not see any of the top 10% of guides and I mean those you see repeatedly mentioned on this website as being in the top 10% ever offering a groupon deal.
    The good guides don't need to offer deals they stay busy by word of mouth and the usual advertising means.
    A fish was caught by somone in the boat so it wasn't like they didn't fish at all.
    I just got the feeling the op thought he would get the same experience as if he had paid $250 for his trip with a reputable and recommended guide service.
    I am sorry he had such a bad trip. But like I said before you get what you pay for.
    Like Brian said Groupon is probably good for restaraunts or stores and the like but not a good deal for guided fishing trips because they can't exactly sell you a bunch of other stuff at regular price.
    If you buy a new car for $10,000 do you expect it to be as good as a BMW or Cadillac that cost $40,000+? No you expect the bare minimum witch is exactly what AkSandee got a bare bones charter.
    Again I am sorry he had a bad trip.

I have to disagree with you. If you only charge me 50%, but only give me 50% service, I haven't saved anything.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

You probably won't find successful guiding outfits offering discount coupons.
    If they have terrific service, guides with personalities, and at least attempt to get you on fish whether you catch one or not, don't need to offer discounts.

Great, I purchased one of these about a week ago. I was hoping to use it in July for a Kenai Combo trip. I'm sure there is no way to return one of these. I have had good luck with restaurants,lodging and tours. Guess I will know better next time for a fishing charter. I'll post after my trip with a full report!

Default "saving money" on a charter?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've used Groupon and have been quite happy with my experiences, but I don't think I would ever use it for a fishing charter.
    Ditto for me. I hesitated when I saw a halibut trip on there awhile back, but then figgered that isn't the way to "save money". I've been real happy with their restaurant deals though; like when the Haute Quarter Grill in ER did the groupon thing I bought two of them and quite happily used both of them in the following weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I have to disagree with you. If you only charge me 50%, but only give me 50% service, I haven't saved anything.
    Your absolutley right.
    And you wasted a day that could have been spent on something more productive or potentially
    so like a day of shore fishing for kings/reds.
    I would always be leary of a super discounted charter trip.Unless I knew the owner or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    You probably won't find successful guiding outfits offering discount coupons.
    If they have terrific service, guides with personalities, and at least attempt to get you on fish whether you catch one or not, don't need to offer discounts.
    Amen. You can save a few buxx going to Walmart or discount guides, but don't be thinking you'll get experts in either place. The experts don't need low prices to attract customers.

You can also barter with some of the companies if you purchase enough seats. If they dont have to work to fill the boat they will give you a break sometimes. Gather a bunch of friends that are willing to go and book it up.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Amen. You can save a few buxx going to Walmart or discount guides, but don't be thinking you'll get experts in either place. The experts don't need low prices to attract customers.
    I totally agree! Its seems to me that most (of course, not all) of the resteraunts, ect. are business that are struggling and need to bring in new customers. The good guides dont need the new business, I know from experience because I have been trying desperately to find a good King charter for the Deshka and they have all been full!

I got a great giggle while visiting a friend of mine, one of the top charter operators around. He had a couple of guys there, really whining and fussing about his rates and insisting on a 50% discount because there would be 6 in their party.

He asked what kind of work they did. One is a dentist and the other owns a car dealership, both in Anchorage. He proposed that he would give them half off on their charter if they'd sign agreements right then and there to give him 50% off on the bridgework his wife needs and sell him a new pickup for 50% off sticker.

Boy did they throw fits and call him bad names!!!!!!! And left in a real huff when he laughed loud and long right in their faces. Had me and a lot of other folks laughing too! Funny part is, he's almost always booked and has no need to give away half his income to attract "more" business.

most of the guys have pretty good rates, I mean if you think about it, you pay lets 250 for an all day trip you can't really beat that on your own. It takes me that much in gas alone to get the boat down to the river, and I am far from a dr or owning a car dealership.
    The funny thing is the people that make lots of money are cheap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast