Thread: Just booked with 70 north

Default Just booked with 70 north

Just booked with Mike. Rates are 850 per load in a 207 which gives you 700lbs per trip. We are doing a drop off float hunt for boo first of August. I did lots of research on outfitters before I decided on Mike. Good guy by all standards from all Ive heard and read about from fellow memebers on here. I also checked out arrowhead. Im going with 70 north hands down.

Don't know a thing about Arrowhead, but we used Mike for a drop off Caribou hunt last fall and couldn't have been more happy with our decision. Hopefully will require his services again some day, and would re-book with him in a minute.

Good luck!

Yer Spoilt!

Good Luck!!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Yet another plus for mike...Anyone have any bad experiances with him?

This fall will be my tenth year in a row to fly with Mike. The past four have been out of Happy Valley. You chose wisely. I'll be there again this year into September to help close up shop. Good luck. Leave one big one for me.

Don

Default Planes

70 North is top notch, but I'm pretty sure they fly a Helio currier and a 206. Hey Don, you going out late again year? Cornbread

Helio and 206 in the air this year for Mike and Bob. A great new facility in Deadhorse, too. Camp still at HV as well.

I'm arriving in HV this year on August 26. As usual, I'll stay as long as I am still helpful and not in the way. A couple weeks at least.

Don

so Don we will be going the first week of august...What are our odds of seeing numbers...Not bug numbers I know we will see plenty of those..Thanks

Here are a couple old reports I wrote about that area. Will be flying out with Mike as well this year.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...bou?highlight=

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...nge-Float-Trip

Be ready for the bugs and bring your fishing stuff. Make sure you don't miss that first take out or you will have a long haul back to the road.

Have fun

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

AK,

Every year is different, but if the past 4 years out of HV are an indicator, you will see a bunch of animals, including quite a few good bulls. I only go late because I hang around with Mike as much as I hunt. I also like the better chance of getting a bull with his velvet naturally stripped. Just a personal thing.

When I arrived last year, a group of guys (AK residents) was leaving with 2 good bulls each. There were 5 of them and it was quite a sight to see all those antlers piled in the back of a pickup. Pretty cool.

I will say last year was particularly tough for Haul Rd. hunters but a boon for those of us flying out a bit.

Good Luck.

Don

I'm flying out with mike late season this year for first time. I have flown close to a dozen different operators for drop offs and when they have a reputation like 70 north you will always be happy with service. All it takes is a little research and you will usally avoid the horror stories you here about. I have never flown with him but can already say we will both be happy with service this fall. Have a great hunt! I love the slope, childhood memories that are unmatchable from up there. Cheers Jason

We're flying in with Mike this year in late August. It's going to be my first flyout but with a rep like Mikes, I knew I was in good shape. Good luck to all this year.

When you guys talk about going late, how late are you talking about?? I like hunting later in the season personally and my bud who was up there the last few years said the bugs were so bad they looked like fur on the lee side of their cooler where they were taking refuge from the wind!! I hate bugs : ) I'd like to get up there next year and from what I read, the 70 north folks are the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    When you guys talk about going late, how late are you talking about?? I like hunting later in the season personally and my bud who was up there the last few years said the bugs were so bad they looked like fur on the lee side of their cooler where they were taking refuge from the wind!! I hate bugs : ) I'd like to get up there next year and from what I read, the 70 north folks are the ticket?
    There is other quality flight service up there not just 70 north, look around here they are easy to find. As for bugs, I hunted about 15 years ago on Dalton corridor and the bugs were so bad words just could not describe the severity. It was the kind of thing legends are made of, yes that bad (aug 20ish).I have also hunted nearly the same week same spot and bugs were not that bad just depends on weather. I'm going out sept 1st this fall, it's been ten years since my last trip up there so I don't know the resent bug history for early sept.

Aug 29 - Sept 6 (or close to those dates) worked great for us up there last year. We had a few bugs while setting up camp the first day, but never an issue after that. Did not need our "bug juice" or head nets the remainder of the week.

Good luck!

For those of you who do get a chance to visit with Mike for a spell, certainly worth it as he is quite a storyteller and has been around a long time in the guiding and flying biz and has some incredible stories. Shoots straight from the hip too, always appreciated his honesty.