Thread: Float, Camp, Fish Upper Kenai

Default Float, Camp, Fish Upper Kenai

I've never floated the upper Kenai. I'd like to. I have 14-foot NRS Cat, a beautiful wife, and a labradoodle.

I've inquired some, but need some more info:

• Can one camp, and is it advisable, on the islands? Are there any islands? Or is it better to camp on shore? Or is it better yet to not camp and avoid the opportunity to interrupt a bear?
    • I always hear "Sportsmans" "Bings" "Jims" and more, but have no relation to what is what and where each are. The only thing I know is Cooper Landing and the Russian River Ferry.
    • I'm not interested in going through the canyon.
    • We are interested in fishing opportunities, but the trip trumps, and we're planning on going regardless.
    • How does one manage the shuttle logistics of floating while using only one vehicle? I assume someone offers the service of driving a vehicle from the put-in to the take-out for some low low bargain basement price. Or maybe offers a ride back to the put-in?
    • I've got the basics of floating covered. Just never done the Kenai before, and looking for a little info.

I am sure I could scroll through the archives and other older posts to find answers to these questions. But, I am used to having things my way, when I want them . Plus, I haven't seen too much yet this spring/early summer and can only imagine the river looks different than it did 2 years ago!

I thank you. Ruby thanks you. But most of all, my beautiful wife thanks you for any input!

Beau

Sportsman's and the Ferry crossing area are one and the same. From there down to Jims landing is a beautiful 7ish mile float. Plenty of places to camp (large gravel bars, etc). There should be plenty of reds moving through and the trout fishing can also be pretty decent this time of year. As far as the shuttle you can either bum a ride back up to Sportsman's when you get down to Jim's or you can pre-arange to have Wildman's shuttle your vehicle down so it's there when you get there. You'll probably want to leave the dog at home as I don't think Labradoodles are allowed on the river (it's just the whole poodle thing). Joking aside, if the dog is good about not bring bears back into camp, they're a great thing to have around, helps keep the bears out of camp and will alert you if anything comes around. Wildman's # 595-1456.
    Enjoy

check these maps out http://www.mysticfishing.com/maps.html

If you are patient, you can thumb a ride back to the launch.

Trip trumps? start at cooper landing then. some camping before sportsmans, not much.

Just have your wife show some leg and she'll get a hitch back up to the truck!

I should clarify that even my ugly mugg gets a hitch back up most days.

One day we got in pretty late (11:45pm) and it took quite a while and I ended up going with wildmans on an unscheduled return up the road to the lake.

Here is one for ya.....I was hitching last week from sportsmans to jims. 930am ish....Who picks me up...My wifes ex husband.....LMAO Only in alaska
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Here is one for ya.....I was hitching last week from sportsmans to jims. 930am ish....Who picks me up...My wifes ex husband.....LMAO Only in alaska

I thumbed from Jim's to the Lake. Who picked me up?

A buddies neighbor, who it turns out had been meaning to call me and ask about camping the Upper.

It don't suck do it?

(headed down Sunday this time Chuck. If ya float, I plan on having the tents and the keg in place at the bottom of Windy...Do stop in again)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I thumbed from Jim's to the Lake. Who picked me up?

A buddies neighbor, who it turns out had been meaning to call me and ask about camping the Upper.

It don't suck do it?

(headed down Sunday this time Chuck. If ya float, I plan on having the tents and the keg in place at the bottom of Windy...Do stop in again)
    Will do hippie...Only floated saturday last week thanks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight