Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best "Budget" Rifle Scope Recommendation?

Smile Best "Budget" Rifle Scope Recommendation?

I'm looking at purchasing a rifle scope for my .243 for the impending deer season and am needing some help being pointed in the right direction for a budget-priced rifle scope. I'm going to be hunting with a range of up to about 150-175 yards, so I'm not needing an optic that needs to see past probably 200 yards (mostly muskeg hunting).

It rains/mists alot here, so I'm not sure if I'd need to get an anti-fogging type or if that even makes much of a difference at all when in the field.... basically, I don't know much about this stuff and am hoping some of you guys can give me some pointers. I'm also on a very tight budget, so I'm looking for something under the $200 range that would be good for my hunting needs. Any help or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Plop a little fixed 4x on there. Simmons would probably work for a cheap option, especially if you found some kind of cover to keep it from always being in the rain.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

wild west guns distributes
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Plop a little fixed 4x on there.
    Agree. Burris makes a nice little fixed 4X. I have two of them, they're very good little scopes. Search "Burris 4X Timberline" and you should be able to find one for about $160.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

Cabelas brand "Pine Ridge" scopes can often be had in the "Bargain Basement" on their website for under $100 and seem to be perfectly fine scopes, I have one on my .375 H&H and its still in once piece, hasn't fogged on me and stayed true after getting smacked on a rock when I fell...

Right now, I have to say the Redfield.

Made in a Leupold factory by Leupold employees with Leupold parts. Same warranty and everything...just a different brand...

Nikon Buckmasters. I've used them on everything from my 22-250 all the way up to one of my .338's, haven't had an issue.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

I'll chime in with Vortex. It's amazing how good $199 scopes have gotten. You almost can't go wrong at that price range AND you often can find them on sale for $149
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There are a number of $200 scopes that should serve your needs well...

Vortex has a number of proponents, Burris makes a number of very decent scopes in that price range, as do Nikon, Redfield, among others.

I'd be very tempted to prowl about for a used Leupold 4x and be done with it though.

I'd have to second what Hodgeman says about used 4x Leupolds, I've been able to pick up a couple in the last year cheap and in good condition. I'd check E-bay, the M8 4x is a good rugged little scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Scar View Post
    I'd have to second what Hodgeman says about used 4x Leupolds, I've been able to pick up a couple in the last year cheap and in good condition. I'd check E-bay, the M8 4x is a good rugged little scope.
    Yep, I agree....

Quote Originally Posted by Donor View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a rifle scope for my .243 for the impending deer season and am needing some help being pointed in the right direction for a budget-priced rifle scope. I'm going to be hunting with a range of up to about 150-175 yards, so I'm not needing an optic that needs to see past probably 200 yards (mostly muskeg hunting).

It rains/mists alot here, so I'm not sure if I'd need to get an anti-fogging type or if that even makes much of a difference at all when in the field.... basically, I don't know much about this stuff and am hoping some of you guys can give me some pointers. I'm also on a very tight budget, so I'm looking for something under the $200 range that would be good for my hunting needs. Any help or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    There are lot of scopes that will provide all the service you need for <200 yard deer hunting. A fixed 4X is a great scope and the Leupold M8 4X can be had used for around 125-140$. If new is a must then a K4 (LINK) is a great scope at its price point. A 3-9 or 2-7 can also be had under $200 from several manufacturers, but the best bang for your buck IMO will come from Bushnell (3200) or possibly the new Redfield line of scopes. Spending more for a scope is not a bad idea, but you can get a perfectly satisfactory scope for your purposes on your budget.

For rain and all-around scope care Butler Creek lens covers make a lot of sense. I use them and for rain and brush they can't be beat. The "Bikini" style cover also works well, but is more prone to snag brush and such which causes it to let water on the lens surface or removes the cover altogether. Keep your breath away from the lens and external fogging will not be an issue.
    Esse quam videri

BUSHNELL! Bushnell is definitely a "B" brand and you can find cheap scopes of theirs in that range. I love them. I have yet to be disappointed with their quality for the price.

The other option would be one of the old Weaver scopes with Sears-Roebuck marked on it. If you can find one of those at a garage sale for $50 bucks, don't pass on it. They're great scopes.
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

I would pick up one of the 2-7x32 vortex viper scopes that cameralandny has on special for under $150 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would pick up one of the 2-7x32 vortex viper scopes that cameralandny has on special for under $150 right now.
    Giving Doug a call is not a bad idea. He always has a great deal on something! Camera Land Inc. is good people.
    Esse quam videri

I would agree with the Vortex option. I own two of their scopes as well as a couple of their spotting scopes. I use the diamond back 1.75-5x32mm on my .22mag for just an all around plinking gun. We were out shooting and I set it in the bed of the truck while I was reloading the clip and my daughter kicked it out of the back of the truck, Its been beat up on the atv and it still holds its zero after all of that. They seem to use good glass and solid construction in all of their optics and I have yet to have a problem with any of them. I got the scope for 149.99 on sale. They have the option of dead hold BDC reticle with it to, mine is just the regular vplex. If your only looking to shoot 175 yards you wouldn't need any more than that and it doesn't add anything to the rifle for weight.

I suggest taking a look at Sightron scopes as they are very good and have lots of good reviews. I have a Sightron SII Big Sky on my Tikka and love it. The SII Big Sky is a bit out of your price range but the SII series can be had for right under $200.

The Vortex and Redfield scopes are also good scopes. I took a hard look at all three. All have great warranties and good glass. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

wild west guns distributes
    That's what I'd do. I think the new Redfields are the best value opton on the market right now.

I bought a Redfield 3-9 last year when I was strapped for cash and needed a scope, I'd say it is a good value and has a great warranty.

I would also go with the Vortex. I have the 3-9x40 on my 30-06 and it is very clear, and has held up great. The warranty is great too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast