Thread: Daggone GREEDY Brown Bear at the Russian takin' all our fun .....

Unhappy Daggone GREEDY Brown Bear at the Russian takin' all our fun .....

You've all probably read this already but the ADN had a piece on the bear population shutting down a number of acres on the Russian and keeping fisher-people out of the woods. Bummer....right at the heavy early run when we like to fill our freezers.

I thought maybe some of you hadn't heard so I'd give the heads up so you didn't drive all that way to be skunked.....errrrr.....or 'beared' as the case may be.

I thought they shut down the ferry but I was errant in my thinking. Ferry is still chugging away.....

Be safe and catch a fish for me....recovering from surgery. Time for another nap!

Take care!

FF

http://www.adn.com/2011/06/22/1930396/kenai-river-fishermen-ordered.html

"The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Not the first time that section of woods has been closed and it won't be the last.
    Now if they could only enforce the no parking on the road at the gardrail because with momma and her cubs around there will be morons blocking the road to get a look when they should be parking a few hundred feet up the road in the roadside lot. Tooi many times I have seen near misses down there due to people walking all over the road and blocking traffic.
    People it's a 55 zone!!!! You're gonna die!!!

Actually its a 45 zone this time of year because of said people...

Curious why they don't put in some more parking along there and a viewing platform... Wait I know the answer to that, they are preserving it for us... To not use... Because there is no where to park... But at least the animals have a safe haven in the refuge, never mind the people...

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

just back from Russian this afternoon...Mama and cubs, (they looked VERY young) were making the folks fishing the bank near the bend on the roadside nervous...she popped in and out of the woods for several hours...She would just pick up some scraps then head back into the woods, cubs in tow...a few folks pressing their luck to get close and get some pictures,...Ferry was running normally, sanctuary still closed and fishing was slow but still catching a few...(got 2 in 7 hrs with several other hook ups, red and white fly)...tight lines

It anin't that big of a deal having bears around all you have to do is keep your gear on you I get a kick out of all the stuff some people bring along on the ferry. On saturday I asked a couple guys if they were going fishing for the day or moving? they had so much stuff cooler plastic bags packs. Funny

was down there yesterday. went up the river around 2. saw no bears walking to the spot. after getting fish and leaving around 9pm we packed it up and walked back. had a run in with a momma grizz with 2 cubs about 30 yards away and heard of many more grizz's and blacks from other touri on the way back. asked if they had any bear protection and they said no. i told them they either follow us back or be eaten. i think its kinda funny when you see people down there wearing the dinner bells on their vest to alert the bears. my reasoning is most bears likely know humans have fish and will come to the bells because they are curious and hungary. but who knows. heres a few 6 wt reds from the day

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I posted this last year but I feel the time is right to refresh! I hope you all enjoy.

I will not be eaten by a bear
    On the Russian or anywhere.
    I will go fish I will have fun
    But I will carry a big big gun

I love to float and fish the river
    But I wonít let bears dine on my liver
    Their nice to see from far away
    But they donít look like the want to play

If my fishing spot a bear must take
    Ill gladly leave and wont hesitate
    If with the bears you try to become one
    Youíll be deposited from their rectum

I will not live out of a little box
    I will not play with a little fox
    I will not take my fiancť there
    She wonít be eaten by a bear. (Timothy Treadwell reference, I could not help myself)

I will not feed them at my cabin
    I will not think that I understand em
    I will not go on the T.V.
    And feed the bears for all to see

A bear is wild and really awesome
    But bitten by one I canít play possum
    Ill pull my gun and fire away
    And hope to see another day

Now PETA might not like all this
    But I really donít give a piss!
    I will not be eaten by a bear
    On the Russian or anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    just back from Russian this afternoon...Mama and cubs, (they looked VERY young) were making the folks fishing the bank near the bend on the roadside nervous...she popped in and out of the woods for several hours...She would just pick up some scraps then head back into the woods, cubs in tow...a few folks pressing their luck to get close and get some pictures,...Ferry was running normally, sanctuary still closed and fishing was slow but still catching a few...(got 2 in 7 hrs with several other hook ups, red and white fly)...tight lines
    I was fishing a 1/4 mile down from the marker near the falls yesterday and spotted a black bear. An hour later there were about 10 people walking upstream saying a brown sow and cub in tow where on their way upstream (pushing the fisherman upstream) and just around the bend. Never saw them but kept a weary eye out for them.

If a bear wants my fishing spot he can have it.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!