Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Saturday???

Default Seward Saturday???

I think Im going to try Seward this Saturday (the 25th). If anyone is going out and wants to meet up down there that would be cool. Or show me where to go??? I have never taken this boat out on the ocean so this is a feel around trip and see what we can find. Mainly halibut is what were going to try and find. Any input on where to go would much appreciated, or if any of you guys will be down there and want to meet up, send me a message and we'll put it all together. Thanks

What kind of boat? Size?

Weather plays a really big role in Seward on how far smaller boats can safely go, so before we start giving you advice on where to go it'd help to know your limitations.

We are headed that way on Thursday gonna fish Friday and saturday weather looks like it will be great. I have a 22foot jet we go out about 30 miles from seward..

I have a 20 foot hewescraft sportsman. I think it will do ok but I'm going to be extremely cautious as far as weather is concerned. At the first sign of bad weather I'm out of there. Im still young and i have a lot to live for. any advice on spots to try would be greatly appreciated

How big of a chop are you comfortable and experienced running in? You are almost guranteed to have an afternoon breeze which will kick up a minimum of a 2' chop, often times 3'+ and that is in Resserection Bay itself, not heading out of the bay.

You're sort of in the catch 22 where it's hard to recomend good fishing areas inside the bay, and it's hard to recomend taking that size boat to the mouth of the bay (minimum 1hr run in flat conditions) or further out which is where you typically have to run to get into halibut.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Ok ok Ill give him a spot to try since we are all tight lipped about our "holes" Try the mouth of thumb cove not that far of a run. I think we fish about 250 feet of water there and pick up a few each time..

I seem to always catch a mix of Rock fish, flounder, cod, and halibut off the NE side of rugged island, It's peretty deep and look for sandy bottoms, I've lost a few hooks on the rocks around there.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    I have a 20 foot hewescraft sportsman. I think it will do ok but I'm going to be extremely cautious as far as weather is concerned. At the first sign of bad weather I'm out of there. Im still young and i have a lot to live for. any advice on spots to try would be greatly appreciated
    I have a 19 foot Alumaweld stryker and went out last saturday. If the seas are 3 foot or under no problem as long as the wind is not blowing and big chop. Over 3 foot seas only means bigger swells and they can freak you out. I would not go much further then fox island. On the south side of fox island we had good luck but not very big. On the north side of Hive island we got rock fish. Read the regs, limits on the type rockfish.

Here is a weather site http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/alaska/afcmz.htm

Also, http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16682.shtml Here is the chart for Resurrection bay. Hope the links work. I would check the weather before you head down and on Saturday check wiht the old guy in the store by the launch ramp. He looked it up for me on Saturday. Very helpful person. BE SAFE.

Thanks for the link to the charts fishking.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the info. Is there better fishing or water conditions you would recommend for that boat? I mean I know it's not an ocean boat but...deep creek, ninilchik, Whittier? And is there descent fishing in any of these places. I'm not really set on Seward. I just want to go somewhere relatively safe (assuming weather of course) and somewhere we can try and get into some halibut. Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming...please

The problem with Whittier is that while the water is more protected, you need to go alot further out to get to areas that consistantly produce halibut, and the waters in Wells passage can easily get confused, coming or going. In that aspect, Seward is a better choice. If conditions are relatively flat, head out to Fox, and if you see things starting to pick up, head back.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

You could run that boat off Ninilchik, Deep Creek, Anchor River....that whole area....if the weather is decent. You can get into decent halibut fishing just a couple of miles offshore. Also have a good shot at kings.

That said, I'd still prefer Seward, especially this year. The halibut in Cook Inlet are not in the best shape for eating for some reason. I would definitely stay in the bay, and stay away from the capes on either side if you do venture out. There are a couple of good fishing tips, so that will help you. It often is more calm out by the islands than at the head of the bay by the harbor, especially in the afternoon, so just expect that your run in is going to be a little rough and slower. Take your time and watch the seas and you should be alright.

I agree with Paul H. about Whittier, too. It's relatively protected, but finding halibut can be a long haul and there are places where the seas can kick up and get pretty nasty.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Thanks for the link to the charts fishking.
    Your Welcome

Great info guys thanks. Well be trying Everything mentioned. Or as much as we have time for and weather will permit. Any other spots would be greatly appreciated. You can pm if you'd like. Thanks

I will be in Seward on Saturday as well. Going to arrive before noon I hope and go out and hit it. If you see a white and blue Kingfisher wave. Going to try and get a transient slip in the harbor so if you see the Stor Fisk tied up come on by and introduce yourself. Should be there until Tuesday as I have a company sponsored charter to go on Monday.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Careful passing us, I wouldn't want that wave to swamp us Kingfishers a sweet boat. Good luck to ya. I'll be in the red 20' hewescraft sportsman with a tore up top. hah. Hope to see you out there.

Good luck out there Saturday. You will love that boat. I have the same model and put 180 miles on her last Monday/Tuesday out of Whittier. It's true about the long runs out there. But you can't beat the scenery. Just watch the weather no matter where you go and you will eventually learn what weather you want to handle and what weather you don't want to handle.

Rob

Well we finally did it! The fishing was good. Weather was ok. Thanks to everyone for helping me get out there. I was super worried about the boat but like you guys said it did fine. Ended up catching a Tom of Ling cod. If only I was one week later. And kept 4 halibut. I hope to go again next weekend as it was awesome! Thanks again for giving me some encouragement to finally do it. I'm glad I did. Fish on!!!

Good to see you had a good trip. I was out at Pony Cove on Saturday afternoon and scored on the silvers, went back on Sunday and got them again. Big waves on Sunday though. Great extended weekend and fun trip.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Yea I didnt even take a run out to pony cove despite what the guys at the dock told me...(go to pony cove) I want to go again this weekend, if I can find anyone to go....Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast