Thread: Gulkana Closing to Kings

Default Gulkana Closing to Kings

I know this affects more than the Gulkana, but since I was planning on a float this weekend I'm particularly bummed!

From the News release....

Effective 12:01 a.m. Saturday June 25, the annual limit for king salmon 20 inches or more in length in the Upper Copper River drainage is reduced from four to two fish. No more than one king salmon of the two fish annual limit may be retained from any individual tributary or mainstem of the Copper River after June 24, 2011. In addition, retention of king salmon is prohibited in all flowing waters of the Copper River Drainage upstream of the Klutina River (including the Gulkana, Tazlina and Chistochina rivers) effective 12:01 a.m. Saturday June 25. The use of bait and treble hooks in these waters is also prohibited.

well there is anther one down for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    No one in-river group will be made to shoulder all of the conservation burden. Share and share alike.

Writing's on the wall. Sport fish is next....

E-eye, E-eye, O-O-O !
    Saw that one coming.

Add the Nush to the list of restrictions as well.... one a day, two per year.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1498&year=2011
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Im surprised they are not counting more. This is the best year I have had on the Gulkana. Went fishing last wed, thursday and the on monday and caught several Kings. Not to mention I know of 4 other people who have already got their 4 for the year. Ive been told me a lot of the fish Spawn before the counter. Its a bummer but Im glad I fished while I could.

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    Im surprised they are not counting more.

Part of salmon biology is that when lots of people catch and keep the early run fish there aren't many that make it past the river weirs.

Thus it gets highly restricted or closed early-mid season. This is 3 years running now for most of these streams. Should we wake up about the situation yet?

It is complicated at best and somewhat sad and I know I am more than likely going to make someone mad however I will post it any who. There are several factors that are hurting the system and I wish not to point to anyone however there are some that stick out more than others. About 3 years ago through the BOG process which I do believe took effect two years ago a Guide Associated made a proposal to move the King Salmon Opener on the Klutina to 1 July with an extended season into August allowing the targeting of the 2nd run fish on the Klutina. Nothing wrong with that idea and it did extend all sport fishing for all users on the Klutina. The main issues with the passing of this was it added pressure to an already down turn system i.e. the Gulkana which was seeing a reduced or lesser number of first run kings. I am not blaming a single user group there are other factors however I do believe this move as well as additional guide operations on the Gulkana to include the use of Jet boats at the mouth commercially "No Names' has added to the continued down turn in the systems. One can't expect better returns when more fish are being harvested with increased pressure in any system. Three years ago I stopped our guide operations and the BOG process was one of the factors to include limited entry talks as well as USCG interest with each system and the stubstantial increase into permitting conerning certain land owners. I will be the first to say I was part of the potential down turn however I figured why continue to be a part of further damaging the system. Gents we can only slice the pie into so-many halves. Ok off my flippen soap box. I have been in conversations with some ADF&G folks I would imagen if the down turn continues we should or will expect some form of restriction that was imposed on the Tonsina years ago. We might even see some form of Fish Wheel and Dip Net restrictions if things do not change.
    As sportman / persons we can get involved and help change regulations to increase our sport or stand in place and wish they did not close the river every year.

Tight Lines sorry for rambling!

Respectfully

Richard "Moose" Mousseau
    BMR

Good stuff Moose

If you don't kill them, they WILL spawn.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Yeah I guess you guys are right. The 3 fish I kept for the year will make a big impact compared to the tens of thousands of fish caught by fish wheels and commercial fisherman..

This is part of problem fisherman taking there limit on first run fish. It needs to spread out over season.

NWF99 no one said that at all. I am happy you caught your fish and are enjoying the feast. The fishery as a whole is hurting and it is a combination of all events and sorry to say us as sport fisher type people are for the most part holding the bag. Any Who! You all enjoy the year if you can.

Moose-O

P.S.

Thanks Kmac.

I was just being sarcastic. No harm intended. Just a thought but maybe F&G should start out with a limit of 2 and work the bag limit up instead of down at the beginning of the fishing season if enough fish pass thru. Start the taking of Kings dipnetting July 1st also. I dont know if they do this on the Gulkana or not but at Montana and Willow F&G do creel surveys where they go around and ask fisherman and guides about there catch rates instead of relying on counters. Counters are great but I do believe that sometimes they can be inaccurate. For example: I fish the Salch River a lot in July. 2 summers ago we and many boats around us were catching Kings left and right for a week about a mile from the counter. But the counts were only reading a small fraction of what was being seen by fisherman. And for those that dont know much about the Salcha, most fish are catch and release because the quality of the fish is usually not great for table fare. But you do occasionaly catch some in descent shape to be smoked. So it wasnt that people were harvesting a lot. We talked to the counter personel and they told us that counts are only done 15 minutes of the hour then multiply the number of fish by 4. It just makes me wonder how many fish could pass a 15 foot counter line in 45 minutes if the fish are making a push up river. But after all the talk and thinking about it last night, I think it would be a great idea to take a more conservative approach at the beginning of the season instead of setting bag limits based on run predictions by biologist. Estimating the amount of fish that should come thru for a season is as good of a guess as the weatherman coming up with a forecast!

If this fishery was on the peninsula F&G would manage it better. Imagine the backlash if the closed the Kenai based upon such limited data. I have canceled my 5 day trip down there for the year. Good luck to the local guides and RV parks.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

As stated in Walt's thread some great conversation people. I am going to email the ADF&G with some of the ideas concerning the management of the Fishery. As always we have to be careful what we ask for however depending on what management practices may be applied in the future we might see a much great chance of allowing more Kings to Spawn which means more fun for us in the lnog run.

GS you make a great point. with limited time frames on the system i.e. 6 weeks at best it is a tuff living for some.

Tight Lines and Best wishes

BMR

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...-River-opener?

How many of the 1,700 kings caught during the first commercial opener on the Copper River would have made it past the counting tower by now?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"