Thread: What spare parts on remote trip?

Default What spare parts on remote trip?

I have been wilderness paddling for decades, but am planning my first remote trip where I'll be dependent on an outboard to push my square stern canoe back to civilization. This Yamaha 4 stroke 4HP runs great, but you never know. I am interested to hear what spare parts and tools you experienced boaters would suggest taking along.

I carry plugs and props in my canoe/boat......not sure what your motor has for a fuel filter but I'd either have a spare or know how to flush it........I also carry a can of isopropyl Heet in case of water in the fuel. I think you'll find that motor to be very reliable.

I guess it somewhat depends on the specific trip and specific motor you have. For us, we typically are traveling down river on the way in and it is not possible to float out downriver if something goes wrong, so we have to be able to power back up in some form. As a result, we bring a minimum of a spare lower unit and frueqently a spare engine. We also have multiple spare props, shear pins (if necessary for your motor), lower unit oil, plugs, and at least one spare water pump. A good metal file is a good idea to resharpen, clean up dings in the prop if you get into gravel/rocks. It's amazing how much efficiency you can lose with a rough edge. Also a spare lock nut/pin for the prop if you have one. Last thing you need is to have that spin off and no spare. We have also had a spare drive shaft with us, but that usually is part of the spare lower unit setup we bring. Keep in mind that if you aren't familiar with changing these things, they won't do any good for you in the field. If you in a lake setting, I wouldn't feel quite as much need for spare parts as you can always paddle back (bring at least one extra paddle too), it just might take a bit longer. Same if you are going upstream to start.

Default Speare parts

Like it was said you need to know how to change the parts out there, TOOLS are big concersen make sure you know how to use them not just talk about it, you can cut cornners some what , but good tool will help a lot